Ask Ken at Palisades

beakerman

Reaction score
I'm sure we'll get a Lips figure in due time. I, too, would rather wait for a very accurate, Henson-approved Lips rather than have a Zoot body. Anyone been on the palisades board today? I wonder who the new retailer is...hmm...

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Lips and Body Parts.

They go together and that's a fact. But not in this case.

We wouldn't make a figure that innacurate unless there was no other way to get the figure released, and by the time the line is nearing the end I would think that Lips would have been made.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Originally posted by beakerman
I'm sure we'll get a Lips figure in due time. I, too, would rather wait for a very accurate, Henson-approved Lips rather than have a Zoot body. Anyone been on the palisades board today? I wonder who the new retailer is...hmm...
Ken said he will annouce the new retailer April 1st. That has me very suspicious and I sense a joke comming. Or maybe the joke will be that we think it's a joke when it's not a joke. Or maybe the joke is we think its a joke but we know it's not a joke because we know that they know that we know that they think we think it's a joke!:concern:

beakerman

Reaction score
yeah...hmm...very interesting. I assume it's big news though...and surely there is a new retailer, so we shouldn't be worried about that. Let me tell you, those kids at Palisades sure know how to make us worry...:concern:

But then again, I never thought I'd see the day when I would have a Beaker figure that's 13 inches tall...it doesn't get much cooler than that. Maybe if I wish really hard, Swedish Chef will hit Wichita tomorrow! YAY!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, very suspicious indeed. If I didn't know better, I'd say it's one of my pranksterish associates from Gotham trying to wreak havoc over on all the Muppet-buying community's minds. Ken never said that the announcement would actually be made on the day of April 1st itself...
He said that the new retailer would be announced "by" April 1st. Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Misfit Toy

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
Lips and Body Parts.

They go together and that's a fact. But not in this case.

We wouldn't make a figure that innacurate unless there was no other way to get the figure released, and by the time the line is nearing the end I would think that Lips would have been made.
Well didn't Lips have a poncho on (from my memories og GMC)? All you'd really need to do would be new head/hands/accessories, and rather than the rubber shirt on Zoot, have the Poncho. I'd be happy with that, at least.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Actually, April would be the right time to announce the retailer. Series 4 should be out by June so the shipments should be confirmed a month or so in advance. April sounds right to me. Totally guessing, but I'll take Ken at his word.

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Originally posted by WiGgY
Ken said he will annouce the new retailer April 1st. That has me very suspicious and I sense a joke comming. Or maybe the joke will be that we think it's a joke when it's not a joke. Or maybe the joke is we think its a joke but we know it's not a joke because we know that they know that we know that they think we think it's a joke!:concern:
When is a door not a door? What it's ajar!

Now THAT'S a joke!

HIIEEYAH!

Reaction score
THANKS for answering my questions Ken! I can now breathe a sigh of relief for Rowlf and Sam!

I too would really rather wait for an authentic all new sculpt Lips figure. A sculpt unique to him would be more up to Palisades' standards than recycling Zoot; that would be a little too much like Hasbro! :big_grin: I'd also like to see Lips in his vintage attire since that's how the rest of the Mayhem has been released. But if reusing Zoot is the only way to get a Lips, I'd certainly still buy one!

I totally forgot about Lips' turtle neck! I couldn't remember what color his poncho was, but the style of it reminded me of Zoot's shirt, which is why I said "NEARLY identical to Zoot". As for the sandals, I remember a scene in an episode in which something or somebody landed on the floor of the orchestra pit where a small group of Muppets were standing, including Lips, but I don't recall Zoot. Anyway, there was a shot of whoever was on the floor, showing the others' feet, and there was a pair of feet with sandals which I've always thought belonged to Lips. I could be wrong though. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Lips has always been a personal favorite of mine, I'm not even really sure why, he just is. Maybe it's his design; I just always thought he looked cool, so he's always been at the top of my figure want list along with Lew and Harry-two other favorites and I'm, not sure why! I didn't even know his name was Lips until I started reading this board! I always just remembered him as the frizzy haired guy who played the trumpet! :embarrassed:

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to let my fondness for a certain Muppet blur my judgement on whether Lips should be an all-new sculpt or a retooled Zoot or anybody. :smile:

Despite the obvious appeal that Lips has with most of us on here, (and just a warning, I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second or two) there are still a few factors Palisades no doubt will consider...

1. If Lips is a strong enough character to be made available in a normal assortment.

2. If not, and let's say an alternative would be to offer him via the Collector's Club or ToyFare or wherever, if there is enough mass interest there to warrant the cost of sculpting an all-new figure as opposed to treating it like a variant figure.

Hasbro has recently been mix-and-matching different parts to construct figures of new Star Wars characters, and in some cases the quality (or lack thereof) shows. I would hate to see Palisades go that route in the future (save, of course, for a head sculpt for a variant or something).

Let me put it this way: If Lips becomes a regular release figure, then I would most like to see him done as a completely new sculpt. However, if that cannot be done and Lips becomes some oddball exclusive somewhere, and there are really insurmountable circumstances, then I wouldn't be totally peeved if Lips's body is a Zoot body with a PVC poncho over it.

But hopefully, that won't happen unless the line really takes a turn for the worst. I guess it's all up to how much we support it.

If I may throw in a little side question here. Ken, I'm not sure how much you may know about marketing feasibility and such, but speaking totally hypothetically, could the line survive as just a Diamond Distribution product, or is it imperative to need a "name" store like an EB, a Suncoast, a TRU, or a (super secret mystery retailer)? I mean, what would be the worst case scenario for the line to continue?

(and I'm not trying to scare anybody...was just something I have been wondering)

:cool: