ATTN: Faux Muppets on eBay

spcglider

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm probably speaking out-of-turn here, but my intentions are just.

I know that many of us would give our left big toe to own a Muppet replica, but I see a dealer on ebay called "asia1003" that is selling unlicensed Muppet replicas.

We all know this is WRONG. Period.

We should all also know that it is wrong to purchase from a seller like this.

We all love the Muppets here... that's why we're here. But buying something like these from an unlicensed maker only hurts the Muppets (or in the case of the current auction, Sesame Workshop).

Don't get me wrong, if you want to make your own Ernie or Kermit or whatever for your own artistic enjoyment, that's up to you. In fact, I know several who have and the Muppet folks were tickled pink to see them. But selling that piece is a violation of intellectual property rights, copyright laws, etc.

This is exactly the same as pirating movies or just outright stealing according to the law.

Master Replicas (a company that I'm not particularly fond of, but I will defend their rights as I would anyone else's rights) currently has the license to produce Muppet replica photo puppets. Look for them.

-Gordon

MuppetCrazy

Reaction score
spcglider said:
Hey folks,

I'm probably speaking out-of-turn here, but my intentions are just.

I know that many of us would give our left big toe to own a Muppet replica, but I see a dealer on ebay called "asia1003" that is selling unlicensed Muppet replicas.

You're right....it is wrong. But...I have to say...the Count is a very good likeness. Where do you think he got it?

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
i never pay what he wants but it is alright for him to do this if you have a problemm contact e*bay

Barry Lee

Reaction score
DevonMiles said:
Umm... Who cares.?!? lol. I think it's simply great! If it bothers you than don't go looking up Muppet puppets on ebay.:zany:
Drop it my friend, dead subject.
Who cares? Who cares when whoever buys it gets sued? :smirk: It's not really that funny. I mean they are brilliant puppets but I don't think they should sell them.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I look at these the same as I do Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc, equipment replicas being sold on e-bay. If JHC, MHC, or SW gets upset with it and wants it to stop, they'll hop on 'em and whoop 'em up! :smile:

With true admission, these are looking well-made! The only ones I've not been in awe over are the Ernie and Bert replicas I've seen on e-bay, but the others look super good to me.

When I made the 2 Mahna replicas I was going to e-bay one of them, but decided to do a trade instead. I got some good video copies out of the deal. But, that was a trade and some stuff taken from TV was used as payment for something I made that wasn't even my license...that could be construed as the same thing, just not a montary payment. Still, it was fun to make, and I've enjoyed the shows.

And this guy is a great craftsman--would love to see him do his own characters, though.

spcglider

Reaction score
Look, I've been a professional special effects guy for 15 years and run my own shop. If I actually wanted a replica of a Muppet, I'd build one myself. I have no personal beef with asia1003.

I'll admit as well, the guy does nice work. But why does that justify his breaking the law?

The fact remains: If you sell an unlicensed replica of a Muppet on ebay, you are breaking the law.

The fact remains: If you BUY an unlicensed replica of a Muppet on eBay, you are breaking the law.

And you're right: the comparison here between Ghostbuster props, lightsabers, etc. is a valid one. But that "garage" industry was only noticed by the studios when it had already gotten out-of-hand. I was there. And it still doesn't make it legal or right. There are far too many guys out there who say "I've handed George Lucas a ton of my money... it's time to get some back." It doesn't work like that. The relationship is NOT reciprocal (sp?).

There are also plenty of fans who, by virtue of their devotion to a property, feel they have some sort of claim to it. They are deluded.

So it's okay with you guys that somebody breaks the law as long as they don't get called on it? Is it all about "risk versus reward" to you?

I'd be seriously dis-appointed to find out that any of you had bought from this guy.

-Gordon

spcglider

Reaction score
Now, to his credit, I see he has listed an original puppet. Yes, he does do lovely work.

-Gordon

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I didn't say it was right, just good work on these replicas. And, I agree: When I want a Muppet that's not available on the market I'll make my own!!

I know that MHC, JHC, and SW people see this site frequently. They'll take care of these things when they're ready. (Edited to add:smile: It's also why I don't complain about how often "Mockup" threads are created! At least the companies involved can find these things here.

I didn't see an original character on the site...maybe I just have Muppet-Vision and the muppet-mocks are all my eyes honed in on? I'll have to look again I reckon.

spcglider

Reaction score
Devon,

Hate to spring it on you, buddy, but you are wrong. Absolutely dead wrong.

If they were legally obtained originals, THAT would be fine. With proper papers, selling them would be of no notice.

In any court in the land, these would not be considered "artist interpretations". They are unlicensed replicas.

I can only wonder how many of these you have personally invested in to illicit such a venomous response.

And, to echo your own sentiment, if you don't like this thread, then stop looking at it.

-Gordon