Barney the Dinosaur creator's son arrested for attempted murder

Drtooth

Reaction score
But to get back on topic, I gotta say some of the comments I've seen are a bit unnecessary, but unsurprising considering who it's related to.
Take this TMZ poster's comment, for example: "If my mother was the creator of Barney, I would've commited suicide."

Actually... that makes me wonder. Would that kid have been bullied viciously? Barney is a very polarizing franchise (it's age sensitive material. If you grew up with it, you love it... if you're the generation directly after it, you hate it... but that can be said for a lot of things), and I could easily see it being the source of embarrassment and unrelenting hate from classmates. Still, I'd tend to think that can all be brushed off with "My Mom gets more money in a day licensing bibs than your dad does an entire year being a crappy corporate cog."

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
On the subject of DVD releases, I still don't get the logic behind ignoring the earlier 10 years of Barney's history, save for the aging quality of early Barney & The Backyard Gang titles (two of them used blue screen and look horrible by today's standards). Hopefully, something will come out for the anniversary.
To be fair, the entire Backyard Gang series and the first two sesaons of Barney & Friends do look cheap compared to the stuff HiT is releasing. (That's especially true for the former, obviously) But with so many new Barney titles containing shows that were already on DVD, it really is a wonder how there is so much older Barney content that isn't on DVD yet. You'd think they would've pumped out more of the "full-length" specials.

Barney is irrelevant. Sesame Street is still a viable brand.
While not nearly as big as Sesame Street, Barney is still doing reasonably well worldwide with DVDs, live shows, theme park attractions, etc.

The purple guy is hardly irrelevant.

Actually... that makes me wonder. Would that kid have been bullied viciously? Barney is a very polarizing franchise... and I could easily see it being the source of embarrassment and unrelenting hate from classmates.
Oh, I'm sure of that.

It had been reported that Sheryl was becoming concerned that she was focusing too much of her time on Barney, rather than on Patrick.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I once read that the real life Christopher Robin grew up to be ticked the heck off at having a children's book character based on him. Still... you could imagine the bullying that kid must've got. Like I said, if you were born around 1990, you probably grew up with the guy... if you were born earlier than that, you had a sibling that made you watch it, building up an animosity. Wouldn't be surprised if those kids grew up in the latter crowd.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Still... you could imagine the bullying that kid must've got. Like I said, if you were born around 1990, you probably grew up with the guy... if you were born earlier than that, you had a sibling that made you watch it, building up an animosity. Wouldn't be surprised if those kids grew up in the latter crowd.
Patrick was seven years old when Barney became hugely popular in 1992, when the Barney & Friends television series began, so I think you've got your money safely bet on that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's like the Smurfs. If you don't like them when you're younger, chances are you're not going to care much for them unless you're a huge Eurocomics nerd. And even if you are, chances are you'll go straight to Tintin instead.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
It's like the Smurfs. If you don't like them when you're younger, chances are you're not going to care much for them unless you're a huge Eurocomics nerd. And even if you are, chances are you'll go straight to Tintin instead.
I think I'll be the first Barney fan to admit that I probably wouldn't be into the franchise if I wasn't a fan as a child. (Though I would most likely still have a lot of respect for it)

SonicHOG

Reaction score
To be fair, the entire Backyard Gang series and the first two sesaons of Barney & Friends do look cheap compared to the stuff HiT is releasing. (That's especially true for the former, obviously) But with so many new Barney titles containing shows that were already on DVD, it really is a wonder how there is so much older Barney content that isn't on DVD yet. You'd think they would've pumped out more of the "full-length" specials.
I agree on the BYG vids (all but the last two haven't aged that well, but they would be nice releases for historical purposes), but the first two B&F seasons don't look that cheap to me, even without the nostalgia filter. I agree with the comparison of them looking cheaper than later seasons, but as they say, you gotta start somewhere. In addition, releasing the early seasons at some point would be a great way to capitalize on the 90's nostalgia going around. On the subject of the BYG videos, they reprinted those a ton, even though they weren't near the quality of the TV series. Even the original three videos were going to be reprinted in 1995 under the title "Barney: The Early Years," but plans fell through.

Enough of my rant though, back on topic.

I think I'll be the first Barney fan to admit that I probably wouldn't be into the franchise if I wasn't a fan as a child. (Though I would most likely still have a lot of respect for it)
Same here, admittingly. I have respect for a number of franchises, even if I'm not a fan of them, so if I wasn't a Barney fan, I'd put him in that category.