Barney the Dinosaur creator's son arrested for attempted murder

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I agree on the BYG vids (all but the last two haven't aged that well, but they would be nice releases for historical purposes), but the first two B&F seasons don't look that cheap to me, even without the nostalgia filter.
Agreed. But I suppose HiT wants their DVDs to look "polished" at a certain level. Since they market DVDs like Let's Play School and Rhyme Time Rythum so much (Including them in so many multi-packs, re-releasing them often, etc.), you'd think titles like Walk Around the Block, Barney's Big Surprise, Good Day Good Night, Pajama Party, What A World We Share, Barney In Outer Space, Barney's Musical Castle... well, you'd think that they'd fit right into that groove. (Not to mention the Treehouse-era TV seasons...)

In addition, releasing the early seasons at some point would be a great way to capitalize on the 90's nostalgia going around.
I don't think the "90's nostalgia" junkies are really looking for Barney DVDs. (Trust me, I want this stuff on DVD just as much as you do, but it doesn't seem all that possible)

On the subject of the BYG videos, they reprinted those a ton, even though they weren't near the quality of the TV series.
Yes, but that was when you could slap Barney's face on anything and have it sell a million units. Times are different now, unfortunately.

Even the original three videos were going to be reprinted in 1995 under the title "Barney: The Early Years," but plans fell through.
Not surprised. :laugh:

Where did you hear about that?

Same here, admittingly. I have respect for a number of franchises, even if I'm not a fan of them, so if I wasn't a Barney fan, I'd put him in that category.
I think I said it best in my Barney's Great Adventure review:

"In order to really understand Barney, you had to have loved him as a child, or had a child who loved him."

By the way, for anyone who wants to see my Great Adventure review, I'll post it here for you. Shameless self-promotion FTW! :halo:

SonicHOG

Reaction score
Agreed. But I suppose HiT wants their DVDs to look "polished" at a certain level. Since they market DVDs like Let's Play School and Rhyme Time Rythum so much (Including them in so many multi-packs, re-releasing them often, etc.), you'd think titles like Walk Around the Block, Barney's Big Surprise, Good Day Good Night, Pajama Party, What A World We Share, Barney In Outer Space, Barney's Musical Castle... well, you'd think that they'd fit right into that groove. (Not to mention the Treehouse-era TV seasons...)
Indeed, especially since many of them got DVD releases in the Philippines and other Asian countries (and Latin American countries (i.e. Mexico) for that matter). Eve

I don't think the "90's nostalgia" junkies are really looking for Barney DVDs. (Trust me, I want this stuff on DVD just as much as you do, but it doesn't seem all that possible)
I'm quite aware of that. I just feel it's a bit of a wasted opportunity, after having aired a few episodes from each of the early seasons on Sprout. That and there are some people who want the older Barney episodes for their children, not because they're fans themselves like you and I are, but because they grew up on those episodes. Also, you know you're onto something when the headwriter for most of the series' run supports your cause (Stephen White signed a petition I started like 6 years ago and while I know petitions rarely work, it was rather nice to hear that he was behind it).

Yes, but that was when you could slap Barney's face on anything and have it sell a million units. Times are different now, unfortunately.
Again, good point. I was just bringing it up as an example of Lyons rereleasing earlier entries in the franchise, despite the quality not being as great as later entries.

Not surprised. :laugh:

Where did you hear about that?
I read an article about it ages ago, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

I think I said it best in my Barney's Great Adventure review:

"In order to really understand Barney, you had to have loved him as a child, or had a child who loved him."
As much as I agree with your statement, there are tons of parents who don't understand Barney, despite having a child who is/was a fan of his. I still think to really get Barney, you have to look at him from a young child's point of view, regardless if you grew up with him or not. I think that's the intention Sheryl had when creating the purple guy.

Collgoff

Reaction score
At least unlike the Kevin Clash situation, no one is going to lose their job over at Barney for this.
That's maybe true but the things about Kevin Clash is not true.
Besides things will clear up!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even if the fanbase and desire is out there, that doesn't mean they'll always listen. Sometimes the problem is internal, sometimes it's a rights problem. Earthworm Jim finally got a DVD release, being one of the biggest cult 1990's cartoons out there. Even then, the episodes are mixed up and it has nary a bonus feature, but By the Great Worm Spirit, who's slimy segments bridge the bonds of time and space, I'm just freaking happy it happened. Meanwhile, they just released a Dragon Ball Z T-shirt with Vegeta saying "It's OVER 9000!!!" on it, and that meme is well over 5 or 6 years old.

And like I said before, Sesame Street didn't exactly know it had an adult fanbase, and we had to really pick at them until they finally gave us some adult, nostalgic alternatives. But then again, I don't think Hit cares one way or another if there's an adult fanbase of anything they own. I don't exactly see nostalgia based Thomas the Tank Engine stuff frequently. And I'm sure there's a community of British fans that want Fireman Sam and Bob the Builder stuff they'll never get. Seriously... mention HIT to Thomas the Tank Engine fans, and they'll lash the heck out at you.

SSLFan

Reaction score
If any Barney video deserves a DVD release, it would have to be:

I loved this video as a child and it's such a shame it's overlooked these days.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I don't exactly see nostalgia based Thomas the Tank Engine stuff frequently... Seriously, mention HIT to Thomas the Tank Engine fans, and they'll lash the heck out at you.
HiT does acknowledge and include all of the Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends series. Then again, the older stuff was already on DVD when HiT bought the brand.

If any Barney video deserves a DVD release, it would have to be:

I loved this video as a child and it's such a shame it's overlooked these days.
Barney Live in New York City is still the second fastest selling Radio City Music Hall show ever (All 12 shows were sold out in 35 minutes)... I'm seriously surprised that there isn't a DVD of it for the RCMH gift shop or something. (The video was re-printed on VHS in 1996 as Barney Live at Radio City Music Hall for that very reason)

No Winkster jokes, John? Seriously? :stick_out_tongue:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
No Winkster jokes, John? Seriously? :stick_out_tongue:
Do you really think people want to hear about the "horrible" fan fic that is Barney in Winksterland? Where Barney picks up the Winkster and throws him off a cliff where he then drowns in a ravine?

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about - there's this guy SG exposed me to who really seems to like this particular Barney video, why? Because he constantly writes fan fiction where the Winkster steals things from Barney and becomes a legitimate villain rather than "just a silly fellow" and fills his 'scripts' up with songs that eat up a lot of his writing. Strange guy that SuperMalechi...

Not to mention he seems to think Mario and his universe are all Barney characters, but that's another can of worms for another time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
HiT does acknowledge and include all of the Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends series. Then again, the older stuff was already on DVD when HiT bought the brand.
That may be true. I don't really see many adult consumer goods, though. They have those nice PEZ, but if you want Gordon, you have to buy a set of all the ones they released separately just for him.

I have seen adult sized Barney stuff here and there, though. That's a strange flip flop. Barney doesn't have nostalgic DVD releases, but Thomas does while Barney has Nostalgic merchandise while Thomas doesn't.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
That may be true. I don't really see many adult consumer goods, though. They have those nice PEZ, but if you want Gordon, you have to buy a set of all the ones they released separately just for him.

I have seen adult sized Barney stuff here and there, though.
Yeah. HiT licensed a few companies to create Barney products aimed at teenagers and young adults. I suppose the intent was to compete with the similar products featuring Sesame Street, Care Bears, Yo Gabba Gabba. And they were, indeed, doing very well. But for some reason, no new products have popped up in the past few months. I can only imagine that Mattel has something to do with this. (Toy Island had the rights to make Barney toys, but only one actually saw the light of day - I guess for the same reason)

Thomas & Friends isn't really a property that fits into that group - Most people who buy Sesame or Barney t-shirts or slippers are buying them because they find them cute. Not because they're still fans, per se.

That's a strange flip flop. Barney doesn't have nostalgic DVD releases, but Thomas does while Barney has Nostalgic merchandise while Thomas doesn't.
Well, HiT has re-released some older Barney content onto DVD. These DVDs seem to be doing pretty well (Several of them were re-released more than once), so with such a big catalouge of content that isn't on DVD, it really makes me wonder why they're not putting out more.