Batman Madness

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As long as his Batman voice doesn't make me laugh in the theater (talking about you, Bale), I'll give Affleck a chance, lol.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So that's what I messed up, thanks Drtooth. We're running out of show, let's head to the big finish.

*Cookies to whoever gets/identifies that reference those of you who are ESPN fans.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I don't even blame Affleck for Gigli. That was the studio. Most everyone always forgets that studios ruin pictures more than the actors, even though actors do indeed ruin films from time to time.
It's a lot easier to blame the actors for the movie than the studio because the studio is so invisible. Fair or not, they take the blame and the perception can almost become reality. Like Taylor Kitsch and John Carter of Mars; it wasn't his fault the movie was mishandled and mispromoted, but people are going to look at it and think he can't be in a big movie again.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It's a lot easier to blame the actors for the movie than the studio because the studio is so invisible. Fair or not, they take the blame and the perception can almost become reality. Like Taylor Kitsch and John Carter of Mars; it wasn't his fault the movie was mishandled and mispromoted, but people are going to look at it and think he can't be in a big movie again.
I'll agree with you about Taylor Kitsch. He's not the best actor, but he made some very unfortunate film choices. At least Kitsch received some acclaim for his role on the Friday Night Lights television show. Affleck has had well over 20 years to shine in a role and really hasn't. However, Kitsch and Affleck would have received more respect as John Carter and Daredevil if they'd been able to provide the type of amazing performance that Hugh Jackman did in that horrible first Wolverine film. Some actors just have that "it" factor. Ben doesn't. Or at least he hasn't yet shown it. It just seems like WB made the most contentious selection possible. Maybe he'll surprise everybody. That's what I'm hoping.

My thoughts as a huge Bat-fan.
1 Agree with the sentiment "it's the internet, they'll whine no matter what".
2 People voicing gripes against Aflek being cast as the man beneath the cowl... Personally, I don't put any stock in that kind of talk, just sour grapes from people who are upset their renditions are being passed over like yesterday's news.
I agree that may be the case with some people, but there are a lot of people who'd take almost anyone else than Affleck. There are a lot of people who just don't like him. Whether it's merited or not, I think that's partly to blame for his stalled career in major action films.

What I do remember clearly Aflek being involved in are...
a. The South Park episode where Nurse Golem tries to help a pair of parents with butts for heads find their missing child, and
b. The version of The People In Your Neighborhood where he dresses up as a giant cheese at lunchtime, chased by the female mail carrier and male cable guy AM's.
That's funny! So no film moments? That's the real criticism. He's not yet shown the level of gravitas required for Batman. This might be his chance. I still think he's the wrong kind of icon for the role. I will admit that there were times with Bale's weird Batvoice made me cringe so nobody's perfect.

I don't even blame Affleck for Gigli. That was the studio. Most everyone always forgets that studios ruin pictures more than the actors, even though actors do indeed ruin films from time to time.

According to TV Tropes (which I'm only mentioning because I needed to look up the specifics of the Wolverine/Deadpool example and found this anyway):
"Gigli was originally intended to be a black comedy. Producers, however, made it into a Rom Com to cash in on J-Lo/Ben Affleck romance at the time. Seven Razzies ensued."​

I'm sure it wouldn't have been a good film anyway, but not an offensively bad one.:sigh:
One of the issues with Gigli is that both stars made over $12 million each for their roles. The result for the $54 million budgeted Gigli was $7 million dollars worldwide! The money went to the stars because they were the ones that were supposed to deliver the box office. It was a star vehicle and that's why I blame both Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez for the bomb. By star vehicle, I mean that it wasn't a special effects film or genre picture. Cineplexes used to be littered with these terrible romantic comedies that only performed well because people liked the stars. Jennifer Lopez films of that sort fared well until that point. Don't ask me why, but audiences are drawn to her. Ben Affleck is different case. His romantic comedies tanked no matter who he was paired with.

At first glance it would seem that failed romantic comedies from years past would have no bearing on a current superhero project, but they do and this is why. Gigli, Jersey Girl and Forces of Nature expose Ben Affleck's lack of cinematic charisma. I think that's a requirement for Batman and it's what I've been trying to say. That's not the sort of thing an actor can train for. They either have it or they don't. So what exactly is WB shelling out the big multi-picture bucks for? A name on a poster that doesn't really mean that much when reviewing his past box office performance.

Maybe the writing and directing can make up for a tepid performance. And maybe a kernel of something interesting has been hiding way within Ben Affleck's acting ability for twenty years that's finally going to come out in this picture. Even though I doubt it, I hope it does! I want this movie to be good no matter who is in it and I don't want another slew of Batman re-castings either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So that's what I messed up, thanks Drtooth. We're running out of show, let's head to the big finish.

And for further reference, let's not forget Olan Soule, who played Batman in the 1968 Filmation cartoon (and by extension, Bats's appearances on Sesame Street) and Super Friends. At least up until the last 2 seasons (Legendary Super Powers Team and Galactic Guardians) when he was replaced by Adam West, though Olan still remained a cast member.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Here's the thing about Affleck for me. I don't think he's as horrible as some people say. But his casting feels like it was motivated by name recognition more than anything else. And all I can think about is the working actor who might have done a better job as Batman but won't ever get the chance.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the thing about Affleck for me. I don't think he's as horrible as some people say. But his casting feels like it was motivated by name recognition more than anything else. And all I can think about is the working actor who might have done a better job as Batman but won't ever get the chance.
Oh definitely. The studio wanted Affleck, and by extension the film to be Batman Meets Superman instead of a reasonable MOS 2 that expands on the world created in the first movie, leading to a better overall film. I too would like to see some minor up and comer as Batman. I mean, Batman can sell the actor. We don't need the actor to sell Batman. Yet, somehow I can see him working well. Plus, I frankly don't know any actors who I'd rather see as Batman (except Maybe John Hamm... but again, I'd be unable to not see Don Draper).

But I agree. He could very well surprise us all. The oddest comic book character casting I've recently seen (or rather heard) was who they got to play Kraang Prime (essentially, that universe's version of Krang from the 80's cartoon show) in the recent TMNT series. And I didn't find out about it until reading the credits. Rosanne Barr. Seriously! And she did a great job too, and you would never know it was her. Too be fair there was some vocal pitch distortion. If I can be pleasantly surprised by that, I guess I can handle anything.... as long as it isn't the upcoming TMNT movie...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But I agree. He could very well surprise us all.
There definitely have been celebrity actors that surprised me and delivered nuanced performances. Sometimes it just takes the right script. That said, celebrities like Affleck already get enough over hyped praise without my adding to it. :wink:

In any case, you guys should check out his IMDB page right now, full of lots of entertaining argumen...uh, mature discussions! :halo: