Battle Within: The Spider-Man 3 Thread (Spoilers Ahead!)

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
okay here we go:
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070419p.php

Online rumours have been running rampant this past week over Fox's "Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer," and a lot of them got shot down today.

Word surfaced earlier this week at AICN that a Seattle test screening took place for the film, and slipped out the factoid that Laurence Fishburne had been cast as the voice of Galactus. This was followed-up yesterday by an AICN report that Galactus will be represented in the form of a storm cloud.

After some back and forth with Fox publicists, they sent along the following exclusive official comment on the whole issue:

"Laurence Fishburne is officially the voice of the Silver Surfer and not the voice of Galactus, as some other fan sites have stated.

There was never a Seattle test screening, period. Finally, moviegoers will have to wait to see Galactus in the movie, but fans definitely won't be disappointed."

Outside of the official statement, others have Fox have called around and again cite that "nothing was shown in Seattle or anywhere else." No comment seems to be made on the Galactus design short of them confirming they won't go on the record about it - makes sense considering it's the big finale of the film and they likely want to keep it under wraps until its released.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Hey, cool avatar muppetwriter.
Thanks, I.P. Just showing my appreciation for the wall-crawler, with his movie only eleven hours away from being released in theaters.:smile:

It's sort of my homage to all of those old Marvel Comics books that were released during the time Spidey was wearing the black suit, in which his head was shown at the lower left hand part of the book's cover.

Take a look at the comics to Muppet Babies, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Labyrinth, and Fraggle Rock to see what I mean.

It is cool. But would you believe I actually moved my head side to side just to check the picture didn't turn red at certain angles like all the promo material?
Hahaha! I wish I could have a Spidey avatar like that!:big_grin:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Are you going to see it first day its released anyone? I won't be able to (so I'll have to absent from this thread for a while so as not to know everything that happens!!!) but I'll be back as soon as I've seen it!

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
Are you going to see it first day its released anyone? I won't be able to (so I'll have to absent from this thread for a while so as not to know everything that happens!!!) but I'll be back as soon as I've seen it!
OF COURSE I'M SEEING IT OPENING DAY! :wink:

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Nah, seeing it Saturday night.

I've read more than fifteen reviews, all of which say it's entertaining, but suffers from lazy writing.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
I'm seeing it Saturday afternoon with my older brother. We're going to the comic book store before we see it.

Saturday is actually a pretty marvelous day to see it, considering its Free Comic Book Day!! YAY!!!:smile:

muppetwriter

Reaction score
The movie seems to be doing extremely well overseas right now. Here's the scoop from SuperHeroHype!

The Hollywood Reporter says that Spider-Man 3 has earned $29.2 million in 16 overseas markets, topping Spider-Man 2's bow in the same territories by 86% and that of the original by 175%.

"The bottom line," Sony Pictures Entertainment vice chairman Jeff Blake said, "is that 10 of the 16 openings had the biggest opening day of all time."

All of the 16 bows of the third film beat the openings days of both Spider-Man 2 ($15.6 million) and the initial Spider-Man ($10.6 million), bested the combined gross of both previous films, and that four territories came up with their biggest single days of all time.

Sony said France's $6.1 million represented the country's biggest opening day of all time, beating Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ($3.9 million), local blockbuster Taxi 2 ($4.5 million) and the combined opening day takes of Spidey 1 and 2 ($4.9 million).

Germany ($4.6 million) and Japan ($3.7 million) each logged their biggest-ever Tuesday openings, while Italy ($4 million) and Korea ($3.4 million) achieved their biggest openings of all time.

Records also were set in Austria, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Egypt, Singapore, the Philippines, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Thailand.

"By Sunday, we will have opened in 107 countries around the world, including the United States and Canada," Blake said.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
Just came from the midnight showing and...

It's good. It is a good movie.

But Spider-Man 1 and 2 were excellent movies.

I hate to say it but, while I did like the movie I was a bit disappointed. Too much time was devoted to Peter acting like a out of character jerk due to the symbyote's influence and not enough time was devoted to character development of the villains. Granted Harry had been developed in the first two films so he came off fine. Sandman I feel was thrown in simply because Sam Rami and Toby Maguire liked the character. The story really could've worked fine without him for the most part.

Thus leaving more time to develop Venom who frankly gets the least amount of character development. Venom fans are going to be let down. Eddie is basically thrown in as a jerk, with no explanation given for his personality. Now I will say that the time Venom (being a combined Brock and symbyote) gets on screen is great. Venom is wonderfully evil and gives Peter a real run for his money. Sadly this is only in the last 20 minutes of the film. The part with Peter wearing the suit is stretched out while the part with Brock in the suit is rushed. Thusly Venom comes off as a rather wasted villain.

Particularly since SPOILER HIGHLIGHT TO READ: he dies! He's freeking disintegrated! They could have left Eddie alive and it looked like they were going to but then he up and gets himself killed!

Again I liked the movie overall but it could have been a lot better.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ooooh! I should be able to go see this on Tuesday (possibly before if I can persuade a parent to devote a few hours to driving me).

I'm getting that vibe, Blue Weirdo, from a lot of the reviews tha this movie is trying too hard to do too much. I'm hoping it won't come off like the ever-so crowded X-men 3. I'm still very excited to see it though! -- And resisting the temptation to highlight that spoiler. :wink: