Beaker's language in the news

HootsytheOwl

Reaction score
Hello everybodeeeee!:super:

Seems that a school in Massachusetts in up in arms over the word " Meep" today. I've been reading about it in the news, and a principal of Danvers High School has banned the usage of the word "Meep" from being used at school. Offenders would be suspended.

The top brass at the school found out via facebook that some kids were planning to disrupt by making the sound all at once in a part of the school building. However, the disruption never happened.

It all seems pretty odd to me, I could understand if it was being used during classes to draw attention away from the teachers. However, I fail to see how saying the word at lunch or in the hallway ( quietly) as the teens were en route to class would be a problem. Our class in 1995 had a habit of saying "Narf", for example....but we never did it in class, and didn't get in trouble for it.

Feel free to talk about what you think. It's typical news weirdness I suppose. If you want to know in more detail check out ABC or MSNBC online.

Your dear friend,
Kitt

D'Snowth

Reaction score
*Cannot control laughter at this point*

That reminds me of that episode of Recess where T.J. invented the word "whomps" as a meaningless word to be used in case a kid felt the need to say a dirty word without using it ("Man, this whomps", etc), but Miss Finster and Principal Prickley thought it was a part of the current generation's "gutter slang" of dirty words and banned it from the school, even though the kids continued to use it to the point T.J. was actually sued by the schoolboard where he testified that making up words is part of what being a kid is about, and how ridiculous he felt it was to be persecuted for a word he made up to actually stay out of trouble, even though some think it sounds dirty. Biggest laugh of that episode is when T.J. won the hearing, and Principal Prickley mumbled "this whomps!"

And of course, I know Jamie and a few people here have picked up on my verbage - "frog" as a substitute for the F-bomb, "Elmo" as a substitute for the netherworld, etc.

Poor Beaker though, now he's the scapegoat of the Muppet world for being a "bad influence" on school kids, lol.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
That reminds me of that episode of Recess where T.J. invented the word "whomps" as a meaningless word to be used in case a kid felt the need to say a dirty word without using it ("Man, this whomps", etc), but Miss Finster and Principal Prickley thought it was a part of the current generation's "gutter slang" of dirty words and banned it from the school, even though the kids continued to use it to the point T.J. was actually sued by the schoolboard where he testified that making up words is part of what being a kid is about, and how ridiculous he felt it was to be persecuted for a word he made up to actually stay out of trouble, even though some think it sounds dirty. Biggest laugh of that episode is when T.J. won the hearing, and Principal Prickley mumbled "this whomps!"
Took the words right out my mouth. I hope this never happens at our school. How would Britt and I survive if we couldn't "Meep"? :eek:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my language can get pretty salty in person so the use of the term "frog" here helps a lot! :smile:

I think this story is cute, however why is the school not permitting the students to at least do this once before shutting them down? Kids are so closed-off from one another these days that a show of a unified meeping sounds like a very good thing! Guns and knives don't belong in schools, but meeps certainly do. Froggin' principals! :eek:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Oh dear- this doesn't sound very smurfy at all.
Honestly though- why are school officials poking through students' Facebook pages?
I don't think this kind of thing would've been such a big deal in P.E. though- just yell out Meep at random while running laps or whatever.
Wow- funny.:eek::eek::eek:

beaker

Reaction score
I just saw this!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33895926/ns/us_news-weird_news/

DANVERS, Mass. - Who knew "meep!" was a four-letter word?

The utterance favored by bungling lab assistant Beaker of "The Muppet Show" has been banned at Danvers High School in Massachusetts after students said it to repeatedly interrupt school.

Principal Thomas Murray says the word was part of a disruption planned using Facebook.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The Salem News reports that parents recently got an automated call about "meep!" from Murray. He warned them that students who said or displayed the word at school could be suspended.
Whats funny as they referenced the Swedish Chef tonight on the Office

dwayne1115

Reaction score
MEEP opps i hope i don't get suspended here on Muppet Central!

(still laughing)

Beauregard

Reaction score
That's ridiculous! Hello? Whatever happened to freedom of meep?...I mean, speech?

Scooterthegofer

Reaction score
Ok, how 'bout planning a protest? We could hold up signs saying things like "Freedom of meep!" and "Meep isn't a four-letter word! Okay, maybe it is, but it's not one of those four-letter words.":eek::eek::eek: