Big Bird in China or Japan?

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Farley was a green boy with orange hair and a yellow turtleneck who appeared on Sesame Street in the early 1970s. He was performed by Jerry Nelson. There was also another boy named farley who was purple who sang the sogn Forty Blocks From My Home, and was also performed by Jerry nelson, but I was refferring to the green boy.

is this supposed to be a performer listing for Don't Eat The Pictures? Because in that special, Telly was performed by Brian Meehle, not Martin P. Robinson (Meehle performed Telly from 1979-1984, and this special is from 1983).
If Meehle performed Telly until 1984, then when did they start filming Follow That Bird? Because I believe the movie was released in 1985 and Telly was performed by Robinson in it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think Follow That Bird began filming in 1984. I guess that Martin Robinson probably took over by time filming began. I would expect the movie to have been filmed after production of the previous season was over. I don't think Brian Meehle performed Telly and then had Martin Robinson dub the voice, since Brian Meehle didn't get any kind of performing credit.

When Martin Robinson took over, he tried to imitate Brian Meehles Telly for the first few years that he performed Telly, but then he eventually changed tellys voice to sound like it does today.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I don't recall a big change in Telly's voice. When I grew up watching the show it was Marty performing Telly, though they still showed skits of Brian's Telly. I don't recall him sounding too different in some scenes than in others. It's too bad they don't play those early Telly skits anymore or I might be able to tell the difference.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I don't recall a big change in Telly's voice. When I grew up watching the show it was Marty performing Telly, though they still showed skits of Brian's Telly. I don't recall him sounding too different in some scenes than in others. It's too bad they don't play those early Telly skits anymore or I might be able to tell the difference.
Martin Robinson did imitate Brian Meehles version of the voice for his first few years as Telly. You can probably notice a big difference in Tellys voice in Follow That Bird or Learning About Letters. I have read that on the most recent video release of Big Bird In China that Robinson dubbed all of Tellys lines. I wonder if he dubbed Tellys lines in any Brian Meehle-voice telly skits? I know kevin clash dubbed elmos voice in We Are All Monsters.

I think that tellys original voice sounded similar to tattoeys voice from The Muppets Take Manhattah. Tattooey was performed by Brian Meehle.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, it's been a while since I've seen "Follow that Bird." I still don't recall much of a difference in the way Telly sounded then to the way he sounds now, except maybe that the voice is a little deeper. I might want to check on that.

Who was Tatooey in TMTM? If I can picture his voice, that might help me imagine how Telly sounded originally.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Who was Tatooey in TMTM? If I can picture his voice, that might help me imagine how Telly sounded originally.
Tatooey was the rat who dressed like a sailor. He did talk a slight bit faster than Telly, though. He only spoke in a few scenes: When Rizzo introduced the rats (he said "Yo!"), during Rizzos Rat Scat (he said, "The coffees fine! Come on in!"), and I think he had a line when the rats were under the tables at Sardis.

BEAR

Reaction score
DId Meehle perform one of the Bogs in Eureeka's Castle too, because Tatooey sounds just like him.

Yeah, in FTB that was certainly Robinson's voice (as he is creditted) because he really sounds no different than he does now that I can tell. Like someone else has said his voice might be a little deeper now but that kind of thing can just come with age, nothing intentional.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
DId Meehle perform one of the Bogs in Eureeka's Castle too, because Tatooey sounds just like him.
Who were the Bogs? Were they those creatures who looked a bit like monsters? The ones who had a line about bringign the peanut butter jars during the end credits?

According to the Internet Movie Database, he did perform Bogg as well as Mr. Knack. It is weird that he was a regular performer on that show, as I've read that he stopped performing to become a writer in 1984, yet he has continued to perform, in such a major role on Eureekas castle and in other Henson productions, like Dog City (He performed Bruno), the 1993-1994 season of Sesame Street, and occassionally on The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss, yet I don't know what he has written.