Big Bird in China or Japan?

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Who were the Bogs? Were they those creatures who looked a bit like monsters? The ones who had a line about bringign the peanut butter jars during the end credits?

According to the Internet Movie Database, he did perform Bogg as well as Mr. Knack. It is weird that he was a regular performer on that show, as I've read that he stopped performing to become a writer in 1984, yet he has continued to perform, in such a major role on Eureekas castle and in other Henson productions, like Dog City (He performed Bruno), the 1993-1994 season of Sesame Street, and occassionally on The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss, yet I don't know what he has written.
Yeah, the Bogs were the monsters that lived in the sewer and liked peanut butter.

Xerus

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Who were the Bogs? Were they those creatures who looked a bit like monsters? The ones who had a line about bringign the peanut butter jars during the end credits?

According to the Internet Movie Database, he did perform Bogg as well as Mr. Knack. It is weird that he was a regular performer on that show, as I've read that he stopped performing to become a writer in 1984, yet he has continued to perform, in such a major role on Eureekas castle and in other Henson productions, like Dog City (He performed Bruno), the 1993-1994 season of Sesame Street, and occassionally on The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss, yet I don't know what he has written.
Brian mostly writes for cartoons such as The Magic School Bus, Cyberchase, and Codename: Kids Next Door.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Brian mostly writes for cartoons such as The Magic School Bus, Cyberchase, and Codename: Kids Next Door.
I wonder why none of his writing credits are listed at the internet movie database. I also wonder if he ever considered writing for Sesame Street.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Tatooey was the rat who dressed like a sailor. He did talk a slight bit faster than Telly, though. He only spoke in a few scenes: When Rizzo introduced the rats (he said "Yo!"), during Rizzos Rat Scat (he said, "The coffees fine! Come on in!"), and I think he had a line when the rats were under the tables at Sardis.
Thanks for the info. I got that voice in my head now. Yet, I still can't picture Telly ever sounding like that. I believe you, I just can't remember a big change in Telly's voice.

The weird thing is that I have seen Brian's Telly on "Plaza Sesamo" recently, but unfortunately since the voice was dubbed, that didn't help much. I guess I'll just have to look for some old Telly clips.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I'm slightly disapointed that Brian Meehl's Telly was dubbed over by Marty Robbinson. Not that I have anything against Marty. I love the guy. I mean the look of the old Telly and the old voice go together. The look of the new Telly and the new voice go together. Having a droopy eyed Mopey Looking Telly with an Energetic voice just makes no sense to me. What are they gonna do next? Have Marty dub over Jerry Nelson's dialouge for Snuffy on Christmas Eve on Sesame Street to make it more updated? Are they gonna start having Steve Whitmire dub over all the old Jim Henson Ernie segments that air on Sesame Street, just to make them look more updated? It really puzzles me. People are way too picky nowadays. That's why I don't really watch Sesame Street anymore, except when I feel like making myself sad. Too many rules these days on that show.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
You mean that was Marty who dubbed Telly's voice in "Plaza Sesamo?" I think that would make sense if they didn't translate to Spanish until later on, or are you referring to something else?

I did watch TMTM today and after hearing Tatooey, now I remember that Telly did used to sound like that. I guess I stopped watching sometime in the 80s and when I saw the show again in the 90s I hadn't really noticed the change. Of course I have seen some earlier Telly's recently in the 20th anniversary special and in "Doo Dee Rubber Duck," but he didn't sound too different. I guess we're getting too far away from the original topic here, so I guess I'll shut up now. Just thought I'd put in my two cents.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I would have go with "Big Bird in China" and "Don't eat the picture" because those have all the classic characters that aren't hardly around that much. I love them so much that I have them both on video. I wouldn't want to have Telly's voice the same as his now. I would want the old one. I loved Telly so much that couldn't ever see myself buying the DVD for both of these speicals. the old versions are fine by me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
I would have go with "Big Bird in China" and "Don't eat the picture" because those have all the classic characters that aren't hardly around that much. I love them so much that I have them both on video.
I thought that most of the characters in those specials are still around, in some cases more than they were in the 1980s and 1990s, when Jim henson and Frank Oz were often unavailable.

The only character in Don't eat The Pictures who I don't think is around as much anymore is The Count. The only character in Big Bird In China who isn't around as much anymore is barkley (and maybe the two-headed monster). There are many characters who aren't around much anymore who weren't in either special, like Herry Monster, Prarie Dawn, Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, Simon Soundman, Biff, Sully, Bruno, and Forgetful Jones. Kermit The Frog wasn't in either of those specials (although I think it would seem a little out of place for him to be hanging out with the main Sesame Street cast at the museum).

BEAR

Reaction score
Prairie is still very active on the show today.

Erine81981

Reaction score
They need to bring back Herry and some of the older Monster characters other then making new characters but like it's ever going to change.