Billionaire Saban in Talks to Buy Muppet Makers

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think Disney is knocked out of the race now! I'm not sure, but it seems that way to me. On the upside, no cartoon Muppet cheapquals (I can't think of how they'd do it anyway), no Winnie the Pooh dressed ujp like Kermit dolls (yay) and no chance of making any kind of... uh.. well... I... uh... eh.....

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Let me get this straight:

If Disney did get a hold of the Muppets, would they actually allow the "Henson team" to remain? IOW, would they be able to still be called "Jim Henson's Muppets" and have the Charlie Chaplin Lot and the same puppeteers, only with such things as copyrights and production responsibilities belonging to Disney?

That would certainly lead me to lend an ounce or two of support for Disney... except the part about Muppet Happy Meal toys -- those are too cheap these days.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarylarrywolf

That would certainly lead me to lend an ounce or two of support for Disney... except the part about Muppet Happy Meal toys -- those are too cheap these days.
I disagree! They are MUCH better than when they first came out. Basically, back then you got a sheet of plastic, which you snap out parts of, and put some sort of car or helicopter together out of it. I still have some, but the peices are missing.

I gotta say that the Monsters Inc. ones were pretty good for what they were!

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
I disagree! They are MUCH better than when they first came out. Basically, back then you got a sheet of plastic, which you snap out parts of, and put some sort of car or helicopter together out of it. I still have some, but the peices are missing.

I gotta say that the Monsters Inc. ones were pretty good for what they were!
Sorry, as a life long collector of Happy Meal toys up until the last two years, I must say that McD toys are getting cheaper and cheaper.

While they used to have snap apart toys, there were never any Disney toys. There were some great Disney toys though in the late 80's and into the 90's. Tailspin, Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmations have all seen the star treatment.

Burger King had the spectacular toys though. Beauty & the Beast, Mickey's Toontown, Aladdin, the list goes on an on. The latest McD B&B toys were ugly, clunky, and had little play value.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The last good toy they had WAS Lilo and Stitch. Little Bobble heads! You can't beat that with a stick. Burger King will always be the champ, though! I got 4 Simpson ones already! Wendy's gets much better, as well. Fewer and Fewer paper products, and more actual plastic toys!

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I liked the McD's 100 years of magic toys. anyway about the Disney just wanting money. Walt Disney did all he did for the happiness of others,and The Disney Company isnt in it for the money.Eisner is. I hope Disney gets the muppets

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Kanasteen:

the Disney company WAS good when Walt managed it. I'm just saying it's gone downhill, to say the least.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by kansasteen14
I liked the McD's 100 years of magic toys.
I liked the idea, just hated the "mystery figure" packaging. I only got one I relly really Loved (Donald) two I liked (Jaafar and Aladdin) and one I wished I'd've held out for another (the witch from sleeping Beauty)

I REALLY REALLY wanted Emperor Kuzco (Emperor's new Groove) and Scrooge McDuck and never got them!

radionate

Reaction score
I had everyone and their mother eating Happy Meals for me. I managed to get most I really wanted. But alas, no pigs or big bad wolf. I got 2 out of the 3 song of the south, and most of the Alice though, and those constitute my favorite Disney films and characters.

And since I haven't said it in awhile.....I WANT AN ALICE IN WONDERLAND SET OF MUPPETS FROM PALISADES.