Bolt, from the S*N*O*W*T*H Rant Files

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I liked the hamster bits in the Bolt ad. This is from the same part of the studio that brought us the enjoyable (but void of the Pixar touch) Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons films. I have to admit to really enjoying both of those movies. They existed for more than mere CG status. Both films had unique messages not found in other films at the time that I could relate to.

Chicken Little had to do with the challenges of a single parent and a father's love for his unconventional son. Robinsons revolved around another unconventional family, adoption and that love comes from acceptance and moving forward. They are both universal themes set to more realistic life situations told in an “other-worldly” language for kids and adults to enjoy. There was no talking down to the audience. I like that. The animation itself is about B+ level, but Pixar has the market covered in that area.

Back to Bolt. I see this ingredient missing in the ads for Bolt. Everything else looks up to snuff, but there doesn't seem to be a good reason or unique perspective for this sort of story to be told again.

I don't like that all CG animation is compared to Pixar (even though I do a healthy bit of it myself) because they not only pioneered the art, but also have a special branding touch that cannot and should not be mimicked. That just comes off as sad. I think other studios should have the chances of Pixar and it takes good stories to do that.

I wouldn't dare consider any of these films plagiarized. All film storytelling is influenced by what has come before. I just don't see anything truly unique about Bolt and that's my main complaint. Heck, at least it isn't Space Chimps! I wish Bolt well and will give it a theatrical viewing.

These are the films from Disney's non-Pixar CG animation department. It was to be their plan B. I am glad they kept both studios. Reportedly Lassiter and others have some fingerprints on the studio now that might more visibly filter through with more time. I just hope it doesn't make this a "Pixar-light" studio.

As for Happy Feet - I hated the (lack of) story and can't stand the film. Surf's Up had some fun moments. That was the one that should have received more exposure and accolades. Happy Feet managed to make penguins (that I love so much) creepy to me. That film is why I hold back from the F grading for other poorly constructed films – so that it may be utilized for such a dreadful pandering film. Of course IMHO. Many of these different studios don't know what to do by way of story. That's the core of success - not the technology. Story, story, story. :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons are my least liked two Disney films so I guess that answers if I should see it :frown:

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
And let us not forget when Warner Brothers came out with Happy Feet, some other offbeat animation company came out with that Surf's Up.
What about that Ratatollie(sp) ripoff, Ratatoing? that company also did rippoffs of Cars (Little Cars) and Bee Movie (The Little Bee).

Redsonga

Reaction score
What about that Ratatollie(sp) ripoff, Ratatoing? that company also did rippoffs of Cars (Little Cars) and Bee Movie (The Little Bee).
OMG, the horror, the horror! *dies* I didn't even know about those :eek:

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
OMG, the horror, the horror! *dies* I didn't even know about those :eek:
yeah, unfortunatly, they do exist. the only way i k now about them, are from youtube poops. they were made in Brazil and they have very bad production value. Also I checked, and they not only riped of those movies, but also Kung Fu Panda (The Little Panda Fighter), Robots and WALL.E in Tiny Robots, and Transformors (Gladiformers) thats just horrable. your right Redsonga. THE HORROR *dies as well*

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No, I'm with you, I always considered A Bug's Life to be one of Pixar's weaker movies (that and Cars), but Antz was pretty awesome! But then again, DreamWork's movies are always a bit edgier than Pixar's, and I like a little edginess.

And let us not forget when Warner Brothers came out with Happy Feet, some other offbeat animation company came out with that Surf's Up.
I like Antz edge too. The Danny Glover ant's decapitation scene still creeps me out. He kept talking for a while after! Eeeek!

Surf's Up (actually from Sony's fledgling animation studio) and Happy Feet (from Warners) were released less than 6 months apart. We all know animated films (even the ones like Happy Feet using motion capture) take years to make. If anything they both took a cue from 2005's March of the Penguins. That documentary still had more of a cohesive story than Happy Feet.

Man, I can't tell you my disappointment with that film. I was really excited about Feet from the teasers and had every indication that it would be great. It's the first animated Oscar winner I will never purchase. Everything about it rubbed me the wrong way. If it weren't for the Surf's Up ads containing the freaky Chicken Joe character I would have passed. It still lacked a lot of substance, but it was more fun, colorful and structured than Feet.

To me Happy Feet is to the computer animation bar set by Pixar what HR Puff N Stuff is to the Muppets. There's just no comparison.

Brad Bird has it right about animation being a format rather than a genre or gimmick. There needs to be an interesting story worth telling. Every Pixar film has one. Most other companies work from the outside-in. I remember Seinfeld boasting that Bee Movie was sold on its name and the film came later and was constantly altered during its creation. Kung Fu Panda is DreamWorks saving grace. That was a beautiful film with colorful characters and enough of a story…and now it will be getting a sequel. Sigh. I hope they don’t Shrek it! :rolleyes:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ugh! Dont remind me. :rolleyes:

If anything they both took a cue from 2005's March of the Penguins. That documentary still had more of a cohesive story than Happy Feet.
Now theres a good Penguin story, Imo!

Kung Fu Panda is DreamWorks saving grace.
You got that right! Hope they can come up with more good films in the future!

and now it will be getting a sequel. Sigh. I hope they don’t Shrek it! :rolleyes:
I really wish they would stop relying so muhc on sequels!:smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
No, I'm with you, I always considered A Bug's Life to be one of Pixar's weaker movies (that and Cars), but Antz was pretty awesome! But then again, DreamWork's movies are always a bit edgier than Pixar's, and I like a little edginess.

I felt that Antz had a stronger story line, and I just liked its concepts better. It had a much darker tone to it too. Plus, Bug's Life was just a cuter film.

Also I checked, and they not only riped of those movies, but also Kung Fu Panda (The Little Panda Fighter), Robots and WALL.E in Tiny Robots, and Transformors (Gladiformers) thats just horrable. your right Redsonga. THE HORROR *dies as well*
And an Irish cartoon company came out with a TV series called Skunk Fu.... take a wild guess how they stole that one.

Kung Fu Panda is DreamWorks saving grace. That was a beautiful film with colorful characters and enough of a story…and now it will be getting a sequel. Sigh. I hope they don’t Shrek it!

When I first heard of Kung Fu Panda, I did want to see it. But after seeing the ultra-Muddled and clearly rushed Shrek 3* I was opposed to seeing it. I just though, oh boy... another celebrity driven pop culture reference goof fest... but after seeing it, they actually tried to make it an honest to Panda action/comedy film. The story was brilliant, and the animation was great (though, I think the best part of the film was the 2-D opening), and the Panda came off as a self-hating underdog that could really be sympathetic (unlike the "poor me! I'm an ogre, and ogres ______ !" Shrek). I wish they'd make less film like Shark Tale and Shrek 3 and make more like Panda.

Surf's Up (actually from Sony's fledgling animation studio) and Happy Feet (from Warners) were released less than 6 months apart. We all know animated films (even the ones like Happy Feet using motion capture) take years to make. If anything they both took a cue from 2005's March of the Penguins. That documentary still had more of a cohesive story than Happy Feet.

Man, I can't tell you my disappointment with that film. I was really excited about Feet from the teasers and had every indication that it would be great. It's the first animated Oscar winner I will never purchase. Everything about it rubbed me the wrong way. If it weren't for the Surf's Up ads containing the freaky Chicken Joe character I would have passed. It still lacked a lot of substance, but it was more fun, colorful and structured than Feet.
Personally, I wouldn't want to see either, and my love of Robin Williams wouldn't be enough for me to see Happy Feet. They both just seem loud, and using fad popular animals. Had Surf's Up came out 3 years earlier, it would have featured Surfing Monkeys. I just get sick and tired of all these new CGI animation studios popping up (most didn't even have 2-D studios in the 80's or 90's). I saw so many terrible previews before Kung Fu Panda... Something about flies, something about Mice, and Bolt. It seems more like a cash grab at Pixar than a true animation triumph.

I of course did think Imagi had potential... but I'm just disappointed in it now. They took on some ex-Dreamworks guy who got Paul Dini and Kevin Monroe to leave their projects, and shoved random celebrity voice actors into Astroboy (what the shell is Nathan Lane doing there?)... and I'm still shuddering at the possible ways they can screw up Gatchaman. And if there's a TMNT 5 (if you count the last one as 4) it sure won't be done by them... and I think they did a fantastic job.

* Shrek 3 would have been better if they spent more time on it. They basically crammed in too many irrellivant pop songs... Live and Let Die should never have been considered at the King's funeral... and the part with Puss and Donkey switching bodies and complaining about it should have been a short gag, not a half hour dead joke.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I liked all the Shrek movies, but I agree Live and Let Die just seemed..not right to me. Like they were stepping on the memory of the king or something :\. The only thing I don't like about Shrek is both how everyone wanted/wants to copy it and how their version of Puss In Boots is the only version anyone ever thinks of anymore :frown:. Since I was a little girl Puss in Boots has always been one of my favorite fairy tales, and I wish so many people did not just think of him as just a little Zorro :frown:... Not that I don't love that version of him, but he is not the be all and end all :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about Shrek is both how everyone wanted/wants to copy it and how their version of Puss In Boots is the only version anyone ever thinks of anymore
I can't say Puss in Boots is obscure.... it just never hit the heights of Pinocchio, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, or Snow White. Particularly because there wasn't a Disney movie. And even if there was, the only version of Puss in Boots people would know would be the Disney version. Sort of like how Alice in Wonderland will forever be a mashup of AIW and Through the Looking Glass, and how Oz will always be linked to the Judy Garland film...

I wonder how these movies played in Japan, specifically because Toei animation's version of Puss (known as Perault, after the author of the original story) is so popular, it's their studio's logo. There were at least 3 Puss in Boots films made by Toei. And that's where that horrible Nintendo game and the subesquent Captain N apperance came from. The Third movie specifically (Perault's Journey Around the World in 80 Days).

I just think the Third Shrek was sloppy, and could have been punched up a lot more. it also should have been the end. I can't see myself wanting to see part 4, unless the plotline is really interresting.