Bolt, from the S*N*O*W*T*H Rant Files

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I would have to say that both traditional amimation and CI have both had good story telling in there movies. My main thing it that their is just way to much Computer imaging out there for my taste. There needs to be a better balance. GC or what ever is just becoming too cheap and easy to come by these days and it show as a lot of it is not done very well for the most part. But when done well I have no complaints.
I think in the last 5 years or so the storytelling on a lot of cgi movies, save the Pixar films, have horrible stories.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I can't really stand Japan anime. Every character on every show looks the same. That and half the words the characters say don't even match the movement with their mouths. It's like watching one of those old Godzilla movies where the lines are dubbed by someone but the characters mouths in the movie are not moving correctly.

I think that depends on the studio or the production quality. Yes, quite a lot of anime is as you say, but to group an entire country's animation into one category isn't fair. That's like saying "I don't like American animation cause shows like Family Guy and South Park are so limited in animation." It's a very broad field. Though you are totally free to your opinion, but I just hope you don't completely close your mind off to an entire field just because of one genre. Just as there are some very ugly or blah anime, there are some really beautiful movies and even animation meant for tv that have come from Japan.

As far as Don Bluth animation, the college I attend received a very generous donation of millions of pieces of art from Don Bluth's collection a few years ago. I have always been a fan of Don Bluth, but some films, like Thumbellina just weren't to my liking. However, upon looking at the beautiful layouts from those movies, I gained a whole new respect for those movies. They were really beautiful, and some of the most beautiful were unused. (This really doesn't have much to do with the discussion. I just wanted to throw that out there)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The more I really stop to think about the new title for this thread... I think somebody's trying to tell me something...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that depends on the studio or the production quality. Yes, quite a lot of anime is as you say, but to group an entire country's animation into one category isn't fair. That's like saying "I don't like American animation cause shows like Family Guy and South Park are so limited in animation." It's a very broad field. Though you are totally free to your opinion, but I just hope you don't completely close your mind off to an entire field just because of one genre. Just as there are some very ugly or blah anime, there are some really beautiful movies and even animation meant for tv that have come from Japan.

Personally, I think its just what we're getting, and what's popular... I mean, how many of us have seen a Japanese program on American television like this? We basically get everything made in the last 10 years. Save for One Piece, Bleach, naruto, and Crayon Shin-chan, we've been getting mostly Japanese toy commercials on television (cough cough Pokemon, Yugioh-I know it was based off a comic, I don't care- Beyblade). I like anime, but I just think if you want something really good, you have to look for it yourself. Man, do I wish we'd get Kochikame or Yattaman over here....

Even then, I'm seeing less and less anime on television (mainly due to 4Kids systematically alienating every animation studio in Japan). if anything, we've been getting a lot of Italian shows, and a couple French series that have Japanese style animation...(and why shoulding French cartoons copy that style? The French have been watching Kinnikuman and Saint Seyia while the only animes were lame fariy tales on dollar store video tapes).

Now we're going to get stuff from (not making this up) Russia and Ireland. Not to mention Canada, but we've had them for a while. in fact, there are more cartoons from Europe in the US than ever before.

Of course, I doubt we'd see The NEw Adventures of Lucky Luke in the US... they did have it dubbed in English in Canada (using a lot of principles from Arthur). But let's just say the way Indians and (especially) the Chinese are portrayed, the PC police would be all over them. Seriously, I saw an episode called Liki Liki (the one with the Chinese) and I blushed through the entire thing. I wonder if the movie's any more sensitive...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Personally, I think its just what we're getting, and what's popular... I mean, how many of us have seen a Japanese program on American television like this? We basically get everything made in the last 10 years. Save for One Piece, Bleach, naruto, and Crayon Shin-chan, we've been getting mostly Japanese toy commercials on television (cough cough Pokemon, Yugioh-I know it was based off a comic, I don't care- Beyblade).
That's exactly what I was getting at. You get those Pokemons and Yugiohs which all look and seem the same. I'm sure there are some good anime out there, it's just you get the same crap all the time and it gets old. I think cartoons shown here in America have digressed compared to cartoons 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

The same thing can be applied to television shows now a days or lack there of. Television has digressed into nothing but stupid reality shows compared to what we had coming out 10 or 20 years ago.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I can't really stand Japan anime. Every character on every show looks the same. That and half the words the characters say don't even match the movement with their mouths. It's like watching one of those old Godzilla movies where the lines are dubbed by someone but the characters mouths in the movie are not moving correctly.
Not really:smile:. Even many styles that look 'the same' aren't really that way, there are actually many different styles within them. It's like saying all American cartoons are the same style, it's just not true. But I have a feeling anything I would say about the rate of mouth flaps in japanese vs. english and other things about really getting into the stoyline so much that even if there are bad spots you don't notice them would just fall on deaf ears, so I won't go on that rant :smile:.

It weird, I saw so many parodies of Speed Racer before I saw it I thought it would be awful..But then I saw the dub and I actually ended up liking it and not finding the way they talked annoying at all..It was the parodies that made it sound twice as badly dubbed ^.^.

I love Pokemon, but the first two seasons were my favorite :smile:. But then, some of my favorite american cartoons were "toy commercials", and very good ones IMHO.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The more I really stop to think about the new title for this thread... I think somebody's trying to tell me something...
That you rant some much there's a whole file cabnit full of 'em?

Redsonga

Reaction score
We rant so here much we need a filing system? :confused: That is a lot of ranting...