Cartoons can't smoke no more

anytimepally

Reaction score
But I'm going to unpopularly say that I'm glad they're cracking down on bad eating habits. It's not about being thin and pretty (at least it shouldn't be), it's about prolonging your life.
not smoking also prolongs your life :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lol, very true. I guess I'm not as upset about seeing smoking on cartoons because I don't think that's why kids start smoking. As far as I can tell, kids start smoking to be cool and rebellious like their friends. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe the teen shows that have cool teens smoking are more to blame!

But again, kids wouldn't be so influenced by TV if they were raised properly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I will admit though, Colonel Potter makes me WANT to smoke cigars.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's not so strange about Colonel Potter, there is a certain attractiveness to smoking. Otherwise, so many people wouldn't be doing it.

It's a matter of understanding that just because something feels good, doesn't mean it is good. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's not so strange about Colonel Potter, there is a certain attractiveness to smoking. Otherwise, so many people wouldn't be doing it.
Uh, I was thinking more about that episode where he teaches Radar how to smoke cigars and talks about how "I've been smoking five cigars a day for 45 years, and never got the habit".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ah, I'm not that familiar with the individual episodes, though I admire the show (NOT the movie).

I imagine it's rare for people not to get the habit. And even if you don't, it still puts people at greater risk of health problems.

Erine81981

Reaction score
This thead reminds me of those commericals about the parents having to block out those shows they watch. It's like why are you watching those shows if you don't want your kids to see them? It's stupid i think. My mom smokes but my did stop a few month back. Good for him i say. I just wish my mother would stop but being an adult and trying to tell her it's not going to stop her but cartoons not having smokes that is kind of dumb. Being that when i grew up i had cartoons telling me not to smoke. What about letting the kids see that one speical about that kid who smoke weed and tell me if they start using that stuff other then cigs. I really don't care if about if cartoons smokie just because as much stuff go on in those cartoons i don't think it's all that bad. But show me a cartoon who smokes in this time and i'll show you a cartoon who didn't smoke back in the day.

matleo

Reaction score
I don't know. This has actually been a debate in the comic book imductry for a few years now. A few years ago, Joe Quesada (the editor for Marvel) put a ban on smoking in Marvel. comics. When a lot of the characters were originally created ,smoking wasn't as big of a deal. People didn't really understand/worry about the side effects. A few longtime fans complained because Wolverine, Thing, and a few others who had lit up before, now didn't.

His respnose was simple, "Name one that smoking has ever affected the character or the story."

Now I don't like the idea of editing a movie or tv series, just for the sake of this. What's done is done and in some cases editing out a scene or character just becasue they have a cigar or cigarette in their hand will do more dmage to they story. But I DO support the idea of characters not smoking. I think it's a filthy habit that deosn't need any more promotion that it already gets and like the editor at Marvel, I defy anyone to tell me how any Muppet or cartoon character is defined by their smoking.

--Matleo