CG Tom & Jerry, Yogi Bear & Jetsons?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why do they have to remake everything. I wish they would leave those classics. They re-made G.i.joe sigma, transformers energon I think it was called & beast wars (I know its different) come up with something original or is that to much to ask same thing for movies jeesh
Yes, but there's a major, massive, gigantic difference. The shows you listed are all toy based. As long as there are toys to sell, those shows will be made. Of course, Sigma Six did horribly in the ratings, no thanks to frequent reruns... but Transformers has always been around animated in some form or another... G1, G2, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Robots in disguise, Energeon, Animated... They are all toy commercials. Adding new episodes means adding new characters, which leads of course to more action figures to buy.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Meh... I wish there were more creativity in movies today other than using quality entertainment of the past as a crutch. Honestly, it's as though I can hear Hollywood big shots saying "Hey, this was popular and the kids seem to like it... Let's make a movie of it!"

I'm not knocking the classics. Heavens no. I just wish these filmmakers could learn to write a good movie instead of simply relying on the work of the past. In the long run, these movies do nothing for the franchise except embarrass the fans, ninety percent of the time.
I don't know, I grew up with a lot remakes and loved them, even more than the 'classics' when I saw them later. I think, it has to do with what you grew up with and your taste. What's old is always new again like they say and for every embarrassed older fan there is a new series/movie loving younger one...
I wouldn't mind seeing a Flintstone kids (even those everyone hates the kid versions of any of the older HB characters) movie.
I don't :smile:. I for one love Flintstone Kids and A Pup Named Scooby Doo. Just because the people that hate them might be more vocal doesn't mean we fans aren't still here :coy:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I'm not saying that all remakes or spin-offs or sequels are bad. I just wish that more energy could be focused on making a quality product, especially if they are using a classic.

I remember seeing the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie and Viva Rock Vegas in theaters when I was younger. It hasn't been that long since they came out, but I really don't remember much about them. They were alright, I suppose, but they were mediocre in comparison to the old cartoons which they originated.

I know this thread isn't about sequels, but on the same token, when I was a little kid, I really wished there were a sequel to The Jungle Book. Maybe it is because I am in a different period in my life, but after seeing the sequel Disney produced a few years ago, I revoke my previous attitude. Disney is especially so sequel happy (and loves to take advantage of classic cartoons like Underdog and Inspector Gadget) that it is a large part of my distaste for remakes in general.

I think there is a difference between taking a brand and keeping it going, such as what Disney is doing with the Muppets... And taking a once popular, still beloved cartoon or movie and doing a one shot remake of it. Most of those remakes are campy, good for a cheap laugh, and then forgotten until someone says, "Hey, remember that live action movie of ______?" "Yeah, that was awkward!"

Scooby Doo already had so many spin off series by the time A Pup Named Scooby Doo came about, I don't think it really mattered anymore. Actually, personally I enjoyed A Pup Named Scooby Doo more than most other Scooby Doo projects, if only because it seemed more lively and fun than the rather stiff Scooby Doo Where Are You?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I really dont have any kind of problem with hollywood making "remakes" in the sense they take a show, make it modern and give it a reletivly unique plot that was true to the show. Ok, grant it, a lot of times they are not as good as the show they were based off of, but movies like The Flinstones, Scooby Doo, Alvin and the Chipmunks, all mostly stuck to what the show was, but they has plots unique to the movie and not taking an existing plot line and working it into a movie.

Its all the remakes of movies that were already made and the same plot and people just say "Oh, this was already written, that means less creativity we need. Lets just give it a few small tweaks here and there and now we have a movie" that I dont like.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Disney is especially so sequel happy (and loves to take advantage of classic cartoons like Underdog and Inspector Gadget) that it is a large part of my distaste for remakes in general.
Exactly. You are nowhere near alone in that opinion. You Just summed up everyhting. You said it all... I know that their would be backlash and aftermath to pay for their greed and that it would catch up with them someday. It's messed up their reputation and I think they know it. They are now reaping what they have sown from the powers that were, while Eisner gets to step down from the board and still be a share holder...

I love John Lassiter's philosophy, that they refuse to make a sequel in less it is better than the last movie. I hope that spreads throughout all of Disney's animation!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly. You are nowhere near alone in that opinion. You Just summed up everyhting. You said it all... I know that their would be backlash and aftermath to pay for their greed and that it would catch up with them someday. It's messed up their reputation and I think they know it. They are now reaping what they have sown from the powers that were, while Eisner gets to step down from the board and still be a share holder...

I love John Lassiter's philosophy, that they refuse to make a sequel in less it is better than the last movie. I hope that spreads throughout all of Disney's animation!
I will say I'm no huge fan of Eisner at all. but the only good this new guy has done so far was to give the animation department to Pixar. They still are sequel happy, in the sense that they found a huge loophole, they can't do animated sequels, but what's stopping them from live action ones? I bring up Air Buddies in Space (or whatever) as an example. I still love how one of those mutts talks like they came from "da Hood" about 10 years ago, and his dialogue was written clearly by a 50 year old white guy who uses the word "Bling" with his fellow out of touch codgers to be funny. I know, I know, I'm sorry. But if I see one more character that's artificially from "Da Hood" one more time, I'll go mental.

I recently picked up "Mickey, Donald and Goofy in The Three Musketteers," and I was completely delighted by it. I hope Pixar makes more DTV's and other projects featuring the classic trio. I really liked that "How to set up an Entertainment System" Goofy short.

But that's completely off topic...

Ok, grant it, a lot of times they are not as good as the show they were based off of, but movies like The Flinstones, Scooby Doo, Alvin and the Chipmunks, all mostly stuck to what the show was, but they has plots unique to the movie and not taking an existing plot line and working it into a movie.
The funny thing about Scooby-Doo is that they clearly took a "Brady Bunch Movie" approach to it, making fun of the source material. While I enjoyed the first one, I felt the second film was a lot more focused (until the end where they ruined the whole thing by shoving the at the moment winner of American Idol awkwardly into a musical number). Though, I can't help but think that they pulled the movie from A Pup named Scooby-Doo, and not the original cartoons... something evident in the portrayal of Daphne and Fred. Not to mention the fact they did have throwback references to PNSD, like Chickenstein, naming the town Cool'sville and all that. originally there was to be a third film based souly off Pup... apparently that's what the CN original live action film will be about.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Mickey, Donald and Goofy in The Three Musketteers is actually a nice little film. Not the best film the mouse and company have ever been in, but good in its own right and probably the best Mickey project of this decade. I would love to see more movies like this come from the DTV people at Disney. I think it's a far better way to treat Mickey and his friends than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. And a far less annoying DTV than Space Buddies and the like.

I watched the first live action Scooby Doo movie and groaned the whole way through. I can't remember why, now that I think back on it. I sort of blocked the movie from my mind. I think I've stated before on another thread that I actually enjoyed A Pup Named Scooby Doo more than its predecessors.

I think my biggest annoyance are the live action films that seem to use the classics as a source for cheap entertainment, just to seemingly sweep them under the rug.

animal0606

Reaction score
Yes, but there's a major, massive, gigantic difference. The shows you listed are all toy based. As long as there are toys to sell, those shows will be made. Of course, Sigma Six did horribly in the ratings, no thanks to frequent reruns... but Transformers has always been around animated in some form or another... G1, G2, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Robots in disguise, Energeon, Animated... They are all toy commercials. Adding new episodes means adding new characters, which leads of course to more action figures to buy.

Excellent point. its all about the all mighty dollar.

Redsonga

Reaction score
The only Disney sequels I honestly liked were The Loin King 2 (but then I like Romeo and Juliet) for mostly the animation and songs, and the 2nd Bambi just for the animation. If I had been the one making it it would have been about his twin fawns, since Bambi is one of the few book based stories that actually has a real written sequel without having to make up anything or water things down....
But speaking of watered down, the newest Little Mermaid movie made my inner 1992 TLM tv series watching eight year old cry. It pretty much took all the good backstory that the series (and the movie itself for that matter) had made or hinted about and stomped on it. Hard :frown:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I will say I'm no huge fan of Eisner at all. but the only good this new guy has done so far was to give the animation department to Pixar. They still are sequel happy, in the sense that they found a huge loophole, they can't do animated sequels, but what's stopping them from live action ones? I bring up Air Buddies in Space (or whatever) as an example. I still love how one of those mutts talks like they came from "da Hood" about 10 years ago, and his dialogue was written clearly by a 50 year old white guy who uses the word "Bling" with his fellow out of touch codgers to be funny. I know, I know, I'm sorry. But if I see one more character that's artificially from "Da Hood" one more time, I'll go mental.

I recently picked up "Mickey, Donald and Goofy in The Three Musketteers," and I was completely delighted by it. I hope Pixar makes more DTV's and other projects featuring the classic trio. I really liked that "How to set up an Entertainment System" Goofy short.

But that's completely off topic...
Yeah, I would say that the animation studios and division looks promising. There are still some Eisner hangover there, thought.

But yeah, some of the live action stuff has not had as much luck as far as continuing to degrade and cheapen franchises.

But the way, I hope they did not say in the Air Buddies/Snow Dogs cross over I think it was? Anyway, I hope they did say that no animals were harmed during the making of that film because if they did it is a bold face lie. The dogs they sent to Alaska for that one did not get vaccinated because they wanted to be cheep for a sequel and save some money and all of those puppies used for the film all died bas a result of it.

By the way, if anybody has not the seen the Pixar Story that is on the Wall-E DVD, I would highly recommend it!