"Christmas Eve" Episode

BEAR

Reaction score
I always wondered how they would do a Thanksgiving special. It isn't a very represented holiday when it comes to movies and tv specials. Fourth of July would be a great holiday for a special. Maybe there already is one I forget. The New Years special was well done. I can't imagine them doing anything else for that one. I guess Christmas is the only one with enough elements to make a full story for and have it mean something. I guess Earth Day could be a suggestion and Easter would also be fun. Is there anything they could do for Memorial Day?

What i don't understand is why they can't show the seasons on the actual series. It snows in New York, so why can't they have a little snow on the street during the Winter time and bundle in warm clothes? It doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the main plot, but it would add an extra little something.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Although it would probably have too much Elmo and not enough other characters, maybe Sesame Street could celebrate Thanksgiving with an Elmo's World thanksgiving special. Elmo could want to learn more about thanksgiving.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
a Sesame Street Thanksgiving.

Hide Big Bird!!!!! Or he will be mistaken as a turkey!!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well, there's a lot of good things to be said about Thanksgiving. It's got to be the least marketable holiday and that's a good thing. I mean, it's kinda hard to be selling people more stuff for a holiday that's all about stopping and being thankful for what you already have!:attitude:

And a Thanksgiving special would be cool. (Of course, I'm happy to watch any Sesame Street or Muppets special)
Off hand, I can't think of any big movies that's really traditional fare for Thanksgiving, although there is at least one movie I know of set at Thanksgiving- 1995's "Home for the Holidays".
And I know both Full House and Happy Days have done Thanksgiving-themed episodes. I'm sure some other sitcoms probably have too.

There's obviously a wonderful history to this Thanksgiving holiday that could be told. Of the Pilgrims first coming to a new land and trying to survive in a world where they didn't have grocery stores and had to grow their own food. And they learned to befriend the Indians and both groups of people were able to learn from each other and enjoy mutual benefits of friendship and food. Yes, I think the first Thanksgiving was definitely something special. And another great thing to say about Thanksgiving (and I don't think this is true of many, if any, other holidays)

- Thanksgiving is definitely an American holiday! Perhaps some other countries recognize it as an official holiday and celebrate it, but Thanksgiving certainly originated in America! And I totally like that! Patriotism swells in the heart of the American bear!:attitude:

(Okay, come to think of it, after using all the Sam smilies, I'm thinking he should definitely be in a Thanksgiving special. And he would be the obvious leader for any Independce Day special, of course!)

So why not "A Muppet Family Thanksgiving"? I don't want to totally copy "A Muppet Family Christmas", but we could certainly have the Muppets (which would include both The Muppet Show, The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight characters) gang, Sesame Street gang and even Fraggle Rock and maybe some other cameos from other Henson productions- Aliens in the Family (um, maybe, doubtful it would happen), Dinosaurs (okay, that'd be stretching it), Bear in the Big Blue House (that'd be a good possibility I think), Mopatop's Shop (perhaps), and hey, maybe they can even work in the Muppet Babies again. It'd be awesome to see an actual puppet version of Skeeter! And Barbara Billingsley could even cameo as Nanny! Wow! That'd be really cool!

Anyway, I could maybe see another Muppet gathering- (somewhere different- they've been to Fozzie's Mom's farmhouse and Kermit's swamp (well TMS Muppets anyway)
What if they had a big reunion at Sesame Street? That would be a great venue. Kermit could be returning to spend Thanksgiving with all his Sesame Street friends and Sesame Street being the generous and loving community that it is, would invite all his friends to join him. So of course, all the Muppets come and are staying with different characters.
And maybe Bear in the Big Blue House characters could even be coming, invited by Elmo (I think they've maybe crossed paths before- correct me if I'm wrong)
And wouldn't this be great? What if the Bear and friends show up first and interact with SS gang. Then perhaps Mopatop's Shop characters show up as guest of Bear or something. All the while, Kermit and Grover are calling each other back and forth, trying to make sure they can make it there for Thanksgiving dinner. Perhaps part of the plot could involve the Muppets gang having the Electric Mayhem bus break down and needing help. And they finally get rescued eventually, while we jump back and forth from SS to the Muppets. On Sesame Street, final preparations for Thanksgiving dinner are coming along and of course, various mishaps are going on. Oscar's being grouchy and not wanting to celebrate, Cookie Monster goes a bit wild on making turkey-shaped cookies, the humans are trying to get a turkey ready after Forgetful Jones forgot to get one, etc.
And here's a really cool idea. What if the Muppets get rescued by an old man and his dog and they invite to share Thanksgiving dinner with him, as he's something of a hermit and really doesn't have any family to go back to? And when they all gather together for Thanksgiving dinner, they are all upset because dinner didn't turn out very well and they're stuck with turkey jerkey or something like that. And the old man and his dog sit back and tell them a story of the first Thanksgiving dinner (with all the different characters acting out roles). Okay, and here's the cool part- the old man and his dog could actually be The Storyteller and his dog!!! Wouldn't that be awesome? Who better to tell them a story?
This makes them realize how thankful they should be to all be together and to be loved by so many people and to remember the providence of God. And God does come through as Doc and Sprocket make a special appearance at the end (and they of course, remember all the Muppets and SS gang from "A Muppet Family Christmas") and he brings a turkey and Thanksgiving dinner for them. He could say he was passing by Sesame Street on his way to a quiet spot in the country for a Thanksgiving picnic with his dog, but when he saw the chaos going on, he thought he would help them out. And I think I could maybe see either Kermit or Sam or Bob or Doc asking the blessing. Maybe Robin.
And then all of them truly realize how much they have to be thankful for and they all say what they're thankful for. (Maybe some of them can comment on good friends and such and even brief scenes of fond memories could be shown- Kermit and Grover, Kermit and Cookie Monster, etc.) "And being thankful is something we should be everyday," Robin comments. Maybe end with singing "We Gather Together". Some traditional Thanksgiving hymns like that would be cool as well as maybe some original compositions.

Okay, well there's my idea for it.:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
And a Thanksgiving special would be cool. (Of course, I'm happy to watch any Sesame Street or Muppets special)
Off hand, I can't think of any big movies that's really traditional fare for Thanksgiving, although there is at least one movie I know of set at Thanksgiving- 1995's "Home for the Holidays".
And I know both Full House and Happy Days have done Thanksgiving-themed episodes. I'm sure some other sitcoms probably have too.
Other sitcoms that have had Thanksgiving episodes: The Bob Newhart Show, The Simpsons, That '70s Show, WKRP In Cincinatti, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, and Newhart, as well as Rugrats and Hey, Arnold (not sure if you'd count those as sitcoms). There has also been a charlie brown thanksgiving special.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Other sitcoms that have had Thanksgiving episodes: The Bob Newhart Show, The Simpsons, That '70s Show, WKRP In Cincinatti, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, and Newhart, as well as Rugrats and Hey, Arnold (not sure if you'd count those as sitcoms). There has also been a charlie brown thanksgiving special.
Friends usually had a Thanksgiving episode every year, and were usually among the some of the best episodes.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Can't believe I forgot A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving!!! That's a great special! And definitely the Thanksgiving episode of WKRP in Cinicinnatti- I love that show!!! And the Thanksgiving episode is probably the best remembered episode of the whole series! It's one of the funniest, that's for sure.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"- Arthur "Big Guy" Carlson

:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
And definitely the Thanksgiving episode of WKRP in Cinicinnatti- I love that show!!! And the Thanksgiving episode is probably the best remembered episode of the whole series!
Either that or the episode where Les got on the ledge of the building.

Censored

Reaction score
I watched the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special last night on DVD at a friend's house and just realized something. Snoopy and Woodstock held out on those kids. Sure, they helped the kids make popcorn, toast, etc., but after everyone left on the bus, the two animals pull out a great big turkey dinner just for themselves. They sure could have saved Charlie Brown a lot of embarrassment. Then again, Snoopy and Woodstock didn't seem to be invited to the grandmother's house, so maybe they had the right. (Am I analyzing this too much?) :smile: