"Christmas Eve" Episode

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, they got skaters from "Holiday on Ice" for Bert, Ernie, the Count, and Cookie Monster. They must have used one for Big Bird as well. I never actually realized that wasn't Carroll Spinney. I guess they needed a professional to have somebody skate in that huge Big Bird costume. Then again, you see Big Bird on roller skates all the time and I doubt they'd use "Holiday on Ice" skaters for that. I don't know. It's food for thought.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Yeah, they got skaters from "Holiday on Ice" for Bert, Ernie, the Count, and Cookie Monster. They must have used one for Big Bird as well. I never actually realized that wasn't Carroll Spinney. I guess they needed a professional to have somebody skate in that huge Big Bird costume. Then again, you see Big Bird on roller skates all the time and I doubt they'd use "Holiday on Ice" skaters for that. I don't know. It's food for thought.
Do you think that maybe ice skating might be different from roller skating?

Caroll Spinney has said in his book that he performed Big Bird and Bruno while rollerskating. In fact, he first rollerskated while performing a costume character back when he was on the Boston varsion of Bozo's Big Top, before he was part of Sesame Street. He even build roller skates for Bruno, and skated as Bruno on a live stage, which would be different than the actual set. I've read that Mr. Snuffleupagus has also rollerskated.

Maybe Caroll Spinney did perform Big Bird while ice skating but used a lighter costume.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember the gang teaching Snuffy how to roller skate in 'Big Bird's Birthday' special. Yes, I guess I can see where ice skating and roller skating are different. Big Bird roller skates as a hobby all the time, but he didn't know how to ice skate until that girl showed him. Also, I have roller skated quite a bit. I only ice skated a few times. Still I remember it's not quite as easy as roller skating.