Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

SesameMike

Reaction score
In the film where they're spray painting the 5 on the pavement, here's a transcript of the off-screen jump rope jingle:

"Blue bells, cockle shells
Eevy, ivy, over

Down by the ocean, down by the sea
Johnny broke a bottle and he blamed it on me.

I told ma
Ma told pa
Johnny got a licken, so ha-ha-ha

How many lickens did Johnny get?

1,2,3,4,5"

Note: I believe that "licken" is an antiquated term for an unspecified form of corporal punishment. Hmmm, talk about your violent sketches!

Note that, as the workmen are placing the pylon/cones on the pavement, there's a pre-existing STOP indication that was clearly done with the same kind of (rare?) stenciled lettering as the 5.

As for someone's question about what the 5 was for, I seem to recall there was actually a longer version of this sketch. After they paint the 5, they paint another number next to it. I think it was a 1; the school speed limit is 15 mph in some states, so that's what it could have been for. I distinctly remember that when the workman requested the second stencil, he said something like "get me a 1..., come on, you can do it!" like it was some kind of major challenge. Not sure how the kids counted out this one, or if they did so at all.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Hebrew skit with Cookie and Beautiful Day Monsters

The word "Shahm" means "there", and "Kahn" means "here". The purple monster wants to be "there". First he is with Cookie Monster who is "here", and he is told to go "there" -- to Beautiful Day Monster. But once he gets to BDM, he is suddenly "here". CM is now over "there", so he goes over to him. But now he is "here" yet again. So he goes back to BDM who is "there" relative to CM.

PM: "You mean I'm still here?"
BDM: "I don't know about 'still', but you're 'here'"

At the end, CM and BDM walk away from the PM in frustration.

PM: "Am I 'there'?"
BDM "Yes, and stay there."

The other two monsters walk away, and the PM happily says "Hooray, I'm 'there'". Then that tall green monster (a modified green proto-Grover, anyone?) is actually PM's mother, who comes over and says "I've been looking all over for you. What are you doing 'here'?" PM's ecstacy is suddenly dashed.

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
The word "Shahm" means "there", and "Kahn" means "here". The purple monster wants to be "there". First he is with Cookie Monster who is "here", and he is told to go "there" -- to Beautiful Day Monster. But once he gets to BDM, he is suddenly "here". CM is now over "there", so he goes over to him. But now he is "here" yet again. So he goes back to BDM who is "there" relative to CM.

PM: "You mean I'm still here?"
BDM: "I don't know about 'still', but you're 'here'"

At the end, CM and BDM walk away from the PM in frustration.

PM: "Am I 'there'?"
BDM "Yes, and stay there."

The other two monsters walk away, and the PM happily says "Hooray, I'm 'there'". Then that tall green monster (a modified green proto-Grover, anyone?) is actually PM's mother, who comes over and says "I've been looking all over for you. What are you doing 'here'?" PM's ecstacy is suddenly dashed.
Don't you mean "Scudge"?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
How many lickens did Johnny get?

1,2,3,4,5"

Note: I believe that "licken" is an antiquated term for an unspecified form of corporal punishment. Hmmm, talk about your violent sketches!
"Licking" just means that Johnny got spanked in American terms. In other cultures, it would be referred to as a beating or whipping for doing something wrong. I should also note that such a beating or whipping would be referring to the same sort of paddling with a ruler or belt that some kids might get here in America. It's not really that antiquated- but some cultures just don't use that term as much.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I love this thread!These video clips sure bring back memories.

I could go on for hours on end selecting video clips to watch.

BillKal

Reaction score
I'd love to see some more of the Spies/Racecars cartoons. Also would like to see maybe Ernie & Bert at the Movies sketches. Or how about that one with David counting in a very serious stare at the camera.

BillKal

Reaction score
Oh almost forgot...and the Dragnet parody where Joe Friday Muppet is trying to find the letter "W". When he finally catches him the "W" says something to the effect "I"m really an "M" (by turning upsidedown). Basically Joe Friday muppet finds out "W"'s scam and starts to try to chase him back and forth down the street.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I'd also like to see more Ernie and Bert episodes.As well as maybe more of Jerry & The Monotones,Harvey Kneeslapper skits,and some more cartoon segments.Maybe the one Pink Panther appeared in.One other request,if possible,Paul Benedict's segments.

BillKal

Reaction score
Yes. The Number Painter segments are classic! Need to see more of those definately (especially nos. 2, 8 and 11)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well, while looking through the Internet for ever more Sesame Street video clips (which I did find a few interesting ones that I'll post to youtube.com soon), I also came across this.
http://www.foldedspace.org/weblog/2006/04/sesame_street_video_clips.html

I was hoping it might have some Sesame Street video clips not already on youtube.com, but it doesn't. But the cool thing is that this page has a lot of the Sesame Street clips that are already on there organized by character, so that's pretty cool. :smile: