Cookie Monster after season 1

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Was the first season Cookie Monster still used after the first season, or was he rebuilt after the first season?

I have seen some pictures of Cookie Monster from the first season, and I have seen some early cookie monster skits that are from the early 1970s, and I don't think he looks very different in those early skits. I can normally tell the difference between certain puppets of most characters (Although I can't really tell much of a difference between the various Oscar puppets made since the late 1970s).

Also, while I don't have any knowlege of seeing any Cookie Monster skits from the first season, I have seen some skits from after the first season where he seems to have the same basic personality that he had in the first season (basically, a character who made appearances and didn't say much). Now, I know that he got his name after the first season, and he became known for being obsessed with cookies after the first season (although he often ate cookies in the first season). But did he still have some of his original personality for a year or more after the first season?

Two skits that I am referring to are Dee Dee Dee and the skit where Cookie Monster keeps taking Ernies cupcakes. I think these both might be from the secodn season, but they definately aren't from the first season because Ernie wears his red and blue striped shirt and not his original orange and purple striped shirt. In Dee Dee Dee, Ernie does the singing while Cookie Monster doesn't talk at all and just brings out items that begin with the letter D (I think Grover could have had Cookies role, even though Grover can't pick things up on his own). In the other skit, Ernie has a stack of cupcakes that he plans on taking a picture of, but whenever he isn't looking, Cookie Monster just pops up on screen and takes a cup cake. All cookie monster says in the entire skit is "cup-ee-cakes" and "pretty" (refferring to the picture that Ernie takes of Cookie Monster taking a cupcake at the end).

Another thing that I noticed in both skits is that Ernie's voice sounds a bit goofier, like it did in Rubber Duckie (from the first season). I wonder how long Ernie had a voice like that?

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Was the first season Cookie Monster still used after the first season, or was he rebuilt after the first season?

I have seen some pictures of Cookie Monster from the first season, and I have seen some early cookie monster skits that are from the early 1970s, and I don't think he looks very different in those early skits. I can normally tell the difference between certain puppets of most characters (Although I can't really tell much of a difference between the various Oscar puppets made since the late 1970s).

Also, while I don't have any knowlege of seeing any Cookie Monster skits from the first season, I have seen some skits from after the first season where he seems to have the same basic personality that he had in the first season (basically, a character who made appearances and didn't say much). Now, I know that he got his name after the first season, and he became known for being obsessed with cookies after the first season (although he often ate cookies in the first season). But did he still have some of his original personality for a year or more after the first season?

Two skits that I am referring to are Dee Dee Dee and the skit where Cookie Monster keeps taking Ernies cupcakes. I think these both might be from the secodn season, but they definately aren't from the first season because Ernie wears his red and blue striped shirt and not his original orange and purple striped shirt. In Dee Dee Dee, Ernie does the singing while Cookie Monster doesn't talk at all and just brings out items that begin with the letter D (I think Grover could have had Cookies role, even though Grover can't pick things up on his own). In the other skit, Ernie has a stack of cupcakes that he plans on taking a picture of, but whenever he isn't looking, Cookie Monster just pops up on screen and takes a cup cake. All cookie monster says in the entire skit is "cup-ee-cakes" and "pretty" (refferring to the picture that Ernie takes of Cookie Monster taking a cupcake at the end).

Another thing that I noticed in both skits is that Ernie's voice sounds a bit goofier, like it did in Rubber Duckie (from the first season). I wonder how long Ernie had a voice like that?
In the skits about cupcakes and Dee, Dee, Dee, I think Cookie's personality was pretty well established (I'm not sure exactly which seasons they were from, but definitely early 70's. The cupcake one was earlier than Dee). I think it's just a coincidence that he didn't say anything or emphasize his personality in the Dee song. They just needed some muppet who had real hands to work with Ernie and Cookie was chosen.

Now, in the very early skits (possibly only season one), Cookie's personality was VERY different. He started out very animal-like and would only growl. Then when he did talk, it was a different voice and mannerism from the one we know today (and probably a different muppeteer). Cookie Monster would use the pronoun "I" when referring to himself and did not yet have his classic third person speech. He'd eat or wreck anything in sight. Also, early on, Cookie Monster was unnamed and was really just one of several monsters on the show. He was often used interchangeably with Beautiful Day Monster. The love of cookies originally seemed to be a universal theme on the show, shared by Cookie, Beautiful Day, Ernie, Bert, and possibly others. It would take at least a year before the character we know as the Cookie Monster would be truly identified with this role.

As for his appearance, I didn't think it changed immediately after season one. I only remember one real noticeable change in Cookie's looks during the early seventies, when he went from being triangular shaped and bluish green to having a much wider mouth, being a more pronounced shade of blue, and perhaps more furry. There may have been other more subtle changes along the way.

Who would have thought that the "filthy beast" (as Ernie referred to him in season one), would wind up being the dignified host of Monsterpiece Theatre some day. :smile:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
My theory is, during the first season, CTW was getting angry letters from several members of MANY (Monster Activists of New York) about the "indecent" portrayal of monsters on TV. So by the time the second season began, Cookie had perfected his acting by watching old movies and plays, and thus had a tendency to be melodramatic, maybe a little more than necessary. From the third season onward, he balanced it out, and was a little more laid back than before. His plastic surgery seemed to help his career, too. :smile:

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe from the pics I've seen he had teeth, too. Looked weird.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
He was used in an old cormmercial as an abstract character and he had teeth on it, although I dont rmember what the product was.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The monster with sharp teeth who looked like Cookie Monster was also dark green (I didn't know this untill I watched his appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show; All photos I saw prior to this were in black and white). The commercial he was in was for IBM. According to Sesame Street Unpaved, this monster was called Arnold and was created for a series of potatoe chip commercials that were never produced.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I saw that picture too, and thanks for reminding me that he was in an IBM ad, and about the potato chip commercials that never saw the light of day. Somebody nees to like put them on DVD or something.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
cookie monster commercials

That would really be something if they put out some Muppet commercials on DVD.

The closest we have to that now- at the Museum of Television and Radio in New York they have in their archives several volumes of Henson/Muppet commercials dating back to the '50's. None of the Sesame characters are shown, but older creations like Wilkins and Wontkins (for Wilkins coffee), several Anything Muppets (Craml milk), and Yorick even gets a spot eating Ritz crackers.

There is also a 1975 commercial that does feature Cookie Monster. He's sitting at a table at a country club, and way back in the distance is a bulldozer coming closer. This was a Public Service Announcement to promote health and fitness.

Narrator: Um, pardon me, Cookie Monster.
CM: Wha? Who that?
N: It's me, the roving reporter.
CM: Hmmm?
N: Don't let me interrupt you. Go ahead and eat your cookies.
CM: Cookies? Me no eat cookies now.
N: No cookies? I thought all you ate was cookies.
CM: Monster no can eat only cookies and be healthy.
(Waiter brings him a covered plate and takes off the lid)
First me eat meat and fish to give me protein and strength! (Eats food on plate)
N: Now the cookies?
CM: No, (waiter brings another plate) now me eat vegetables for vitamins! (Chows down veggies)
N: Now the cookies?
CM: No, now me eat fruit. It give me energy. (Eats fruit, throws an orange in the air and catches in his mouth)
N: Now what?
CM: (Uncovers glass of milk with a straw) Now milk for strong bones and teeth.
N: Now for dessert? (Cookie uncovers last plate with a whistle on it, and the bulldozer is right behind him)
A whistle? A whistle for dessert?
CM: Sure! Blowing whistle gives me strong lungs and "PWEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!"
COOOOOOKIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE! (as the bulldozer dumps a million cookies on our blue friend)

This ad won the Clio Award (The commercial equivalent to the Grammys).

Alas, until they release these gems on DVD, you'd have to make the pilgrimage out to New York, or the other Museums in Chicago or LA to see them.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That public service announcement with Cookie Monster should have been a special feature on the Happy Healthy Monsters DVD. Are you saying that this is included at The Museum of Television and Radio? I wasn't clear if you said it was or wasn't.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I agree. That sounds like a good one. Heck, they could have used it as in insert on "Sesame Street" this year since they are focused with healthy eating.