Cookie Monster after season 1

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember seeing somewhere that the first Ernie's eyes were actually made from plastic spoons.:stick_out_tongue:

MuppetDude

Reaction score
BEAR said:
But...but...Ernie's always had a red nose.:embarrassed:
In a few of the earliest episodes, his nose was sort of a marroonish color.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BEAR said:
When Cookie Monster was first introduced on Sesame Street, he was just a googly-eyed monster in a sketch with Ernie where Ernie was eating some cookies and milk. The only words that the monster said were "milk" and "cookies". From then on, he developed a sweet tooth and changed his name to The Cookie Monster.:smile:
I think it was stated in the "unpaved" book that his first skit was in a Guy Smiley game show which he won, and his choices were a cookie or a trip to Hawaii or a cookie, and he choose the latter. He was only suppost to be a one shot character, but sense he choose the cookie, he stayed around for a little bit longer. If he had choosen Hawaii, he would have no longer been seen again, and still on vacation.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I think it was stated in the "unpaved" book that his first skit was in a Guy Smiley game show which he won, and his choices were a cookie or a trip to Hawaii or a cookie, and he choose the latter.
That skit is mentioned in Sesame Street Unpaved, but it doesn't say anything about that being his first skit. It was just briefly mentioned, asking "Remember when Cookie Monster was on one of Guy Smileys first game shows where he chose a cookie over an all-expense-paid trip to hawaii?". You could be mistaking the book for Jim Henson: The Works, which mentions that his obsession with cookies was decided after that skit, but it didn't mention that being his first appearance, either. It has been said that Cookie Monster appeared in the first episode, when Kermit lectures on the letter W.

Ironically, there are two different books that mentioned that skit, but neither one of them mention the name of that game show. Does anybody here know the name of that game show? I don't think it would have been shown on Noggin, because it seems like it was from the first season, and if it's true that Guy Smiley hosted it (and not a mistake) then Guy Smiley would have been called Sonny Friendly, which he was only called in the first season, and I've read that none of the skits where Guy Smiley had that name were shown on Noggin.

Censored

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I think it was stated in the "unpaved" book that his first skit was in a Guy Smiley game show which he won, and his choices were a cookie or a trip to Hawaii or a cookie, and he choose the latter. He was only suppost to be a one shot character, but sense he choose the cookie, he stayed around for a little bit longer. If he had choosen Hawaii, he would have no longer been seen again, and still on vacation.

It's strange; I tend to remember that skit with Beautiful Day Monster, but that could just be my memory playing tricks on me.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I believe that Muppet's name is Moldy Hay. Did you ever see that muppet (or any other Sam And Friends characters) in person? I know you said that you don't think any of the Sam And Friends characters were used at the end of The Muppet Movie, so you wouldn't have seen him there.
Yes, I've seen most of the Sam and Friends characters in person, including one of the earliest Kermits. They were all in "The Art of the Muppets" traveling museum exhibit. I saw that show twice, once in San Diego and about a year later when they brought it to L.A.

I don't remember how many of the characters were in it, but at least Sam, Yorick and Kermit definitely were.

:stick_out_tongue:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Andrew T said:
One feature that distinguished the original Bert puppet (at least from the current) was a nose that drooped down when seen from the side.

Did Ernie's outfit change from the original orange-and-purple-striped sweater to the red-and-blue striped one he wears today at the same time he was rebuilt?
Bert's nose also originally hung down over his mouth.

MuppetDude said:
Yeah, Ernie (and many others) were rebuilt for the second season. You can tell by Ernie's eyes, shorter hair, and his red nose.
This isn't the major rebuild I was talking about around Season 3. I think what you're talking about here was basically taking the same head and changing the features.

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
I love how people talk about the changes of classic characters. Its neat to know this stuff, like the anythingmuppet-ish Kermit and the Ernie with orange-and-purple sweatshirt. Thats cool.

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, Nick. Its interesting to see how certain characters go through change. Even if they are slight differences each time, you can compare the most current version with the original and its crazy the difference.

In other threads people are talking about Telly and how his personality has changed a bit. I just until now realized after watching Follow that Bird again that Telly use to have more of a frowny face than he does now.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Okay, this thread has sort of morphed into changes in all the puppets, not just Cookie Monster, so I'll post this here...

Does anyone else remember "Bucket-Mouth Oscar"? It was a rebuild of Oscar where he could move his eyes back and forth, along with his moving eyebrows. But we called him "Bucket-Mouth" because for some reason, he had a huge bottom jaw. The moving eyes were really cool, but they only used him for a short time, because, as we would say in animation, he was "off-model".