Culinary Culture Barriers

leliebel

Reaction score
To cut a long story short, What's corn sirup? :confused:

Beebers

Reaction score
corn syrup

a syrup containing dextrins, maltose and dextrose that is obtained by partial hydrolysis of cornstarch.

corn starch

starch made from corn and used as a thickening agent and adhesive in foods, papers and textiles.

Isn't that nice?
To increase profits U.S. food and beverage companies use this junk as fillers to literally stretch the recipe. We don't know the half of how bad this stuff really is yet; we're on the tip of the iceberg right now. It's linked directly to the increasing struggle folks are having with weight and diabetes, and migraines.
Read your labels and don't consume it, it's bad, baby, bad. :concern:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Which makes me also consider the Grits/Haggis discussions in Byron's Alex-comin'-to-USA thread.

Kinda makes me wodner what else is so different between our culinary delights? Like, for example, I love Buttermilk and Cornbread mixed together--something my grandfather taught me--as well as hog jowls boiled in with purple hull peas or black eyed peas.

Whatever

Reaction score
It's sort of like maple syrup, only clear and does not have the same taste, to give you an idea of its look and consistancy. A clear, thick, sticky, sweet syrup.

Beebers

Reaction score
Korrect. Isn't it you, Whatever, who says that, in the ABC game? it always makes me laugh.

It's right up there with the Great Grits/Haggis Conversation, definitely. Makes you want to run right out and have some of each.
The most famous corn syrup is Karo, light or dark, which you buy to make homemade candies. It's the form it takes during food/beverage manufacture that turns it bad bad bad.
Everyone knows that U.S. labeling is in descending order of ingredient amount. The most of something is listed first. Take a look, you'll be horrified. It's the number one or two ingredient in way too many common things, since the 1970s. In my view, quaintly, the first ingredient in ketchup ought to be tomatoes. And used to be. Now see what it is.
Just Say No.
I'm interested to know whether other countries do this horrible thing. Or other horrible things. To their processed foods/drinks. It's probably just US. Pun intended.

Whatever

Reaction score
Kreative spelling adds spice to life! Some of my fave desserts are made with corn syrup like buutersctch ice cream sauce and Divinity. Yum!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Which makes me also consider the Grits/Haggis discussions in Byron's Alex-comin'-to-USA thread.

Kinda makes me wodner what else is so different between our culinary delights? Like, for example, I love Buttermilk and Cornbread mixed together--something my grandfather taught me--as well as hog jowls boiled in with purple hull peas or black eyed peas.

I've always wondered what Grits is... It's like a corn mush, right?

And in case you want to know Hogies, Grinders, Heroes, Subs, Submarine sandwiches, and (I think) Po' boys are the same thing....I think. I've heard Grinders, subs, and Hoagies used around here (Massahussetts).

Beebers

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Kreative spelling adds spice to life! Some of my fave desserts are made with corn syrup like buutersctch ice cream sauce and Divinity. Yum!

I know, and things like divinity only come out right with real corn syrup. (I cook a LOT.) But, sauces and ice cream itself should not contain corn syrups of any type. They never did, is the point, and now they're in EVERYTHING so that the overall volume one consumes per year is just staggering.

Beebers

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I've always wondered what Grits is... It's like a corn mush, right?

And in case you want to know Hogies, Grinders, Heroes, Subs, Submarine sandwiches, and (I think) Po' boys are the same thing....I think. I've heard Grinders, subs, and Hoagies used around here (Massahussetts).

You'll find grits neatly defined if you start at the start of Scotland meets Kentucky thread.

In Connecticut and all the parts of western Mass. I've lived it's always grinders.
But eastern Mass. is hoagies and subs, right?

Baby Animal

Reaction score
It's always been grinders to me too, and I'm in Southern California. Most people think I'm weird for that though. I think it was because of one shop's calling it grinders out here though. It's a good grinder shop though.