Culinary Culture Barriers

Beebers

Reaction score
Drops, at least here on East Coast, U.S.A., are small hard candies (choking hazards) such as lemon drops, etc. Also cough drops.

In colonial U.S., licorice was your dentifrice. The dried twigs of it, not the candy, you fanned out the ends and brushed your teeth with it.

Use dark corn syrup for candied apples, not the clear syrup.

Whatever

Reaction score
They don't have corn syrup in Europe at all, is probably the problem. My mom and I have substituted honey for corn syrup when making peanut butter fudge. Not only did it work, it added a taste of honey that was even yummier and healthier. Honey or maple syrup might not work for your project, though. I never tried it.

leliebel

Reaction score
Beebers said:
Drops, at least here on East Coast, U.S.A., are small hard candies (choking hazards) such as lemon drops, etc. Also cough drops.

In colonial U.S., licorice was your dentifrice. The dried twigs of it, not the candy, you fanned out the ends and brushed your teeth with it.

Use dark corn syrup for candied apples, not the clear syrup.

aah and thanks for the hint

oh and in dutch it's just drop, not a plural, we'll like corn. I wish I could explain better...

Beebers

Reaction score
I think I know what you mean.

Corn is both singular and plural, deer, etc. Yet when someone is dear to you, and many are dear, they are dears.

I love the English language. It's so flexible. It's better for you that you don't have corn syrup in Europe. Maple syrup if cooked down will work magnificently.

leliebel

Reaction score
Beebers said:
I think I know what you mean.

Corn is both singular and plural, deer, etc. Yet when someone is dear to you, and many are dear, they are dears.

I love the English language. It's so flexible. It's better for you that you don't have corn syrup in Europe. Maple syrup if cooked down will work magnificently.

Thanks, I'll try that next time.

Maybe for Christmas. :smile:

Beebers

Reaction score
You're welcome. The primary ingredient in maple syrup is water, so just cook it way way down first over very low slow heat. By the way, I enjoyed your Sinter Klass story. Hope I spelled that correctly.

:attitude:

leliebel

Reaction score
Beebers said:
You're welcome. The primary ingredient in maple syrup is water, so just cook it way way down first over very low slow heat. By the way, I enjoyed your Sinter Klass story. Hope I spelled that correctly.

:attitude:
Thank you, and the spelling is very close :wink:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hmm...can't you just order corn syrup over the internet?

Drtooth

Reaction score
What would anyone say is a better substitute? maple or honey?