Culinary Culture Barriers

Beebers

Reaction score
I've cooked and baked all my life, I'm really good and humble too, and part of that has always been modifying recipes for diabetic friends so they can have something nice for a change that won't send them to the hospital.
If what you're making has a lot of other liquid content, use honey. If not, use maple syrup. You can use both, as well, actually, in equal amounts. Brown sugar is a safe, healthy, excellent alternative, alone or with syrup and honey. Don't use these in equal amounts to white sugar requirements in recipes. Use about one third less. Natural, unprocessed sugars go a much longer way than refined white sugar.

Manda:-D

Reaction score
The drinks question...Well, 'round 'ere, it's Coke. Even you want a Pepsi, it's a Coke. Hence the, "You wanna a Coke?" "Sure." "What kind?" conversation. Also, (this seems to be more of New Orleans-area thing, correct me if I'm wrong), it's a "soft drink." Apparently, as opposed to the HARD drinks oft consumed around here. Sandwiches made w/French bread are Po'Boys. Or Po-Boys. It's all spelled differently...

Question: How many of yall have ever heard of cane syrup? Syrup made w/sugar cane. My Dad grew up on the stuff in northern Lousiana...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've always called sodas by their names, like Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer (preferably A&W or Barq's); but, some cousins of mine get made when they say "Get me a Coke," and I bring back a "Coke" when they meant "Dr. Pepper" or something. But they're all unlearned.

'Nother question: Molasses. Who knows about that?? I LOVE that stuff with butter and biscuits! MM-mm!

Beebers

Reaction score
Manda:-D said:
The drinks question...Well, 'round 'ere, it's Coke. Even you want a Pepsi, it's a Coke. Hence the, "You wanna a Coke?" "Sure." "What kind?" conversation. Also, (this seems to be more of New Orleans-area thing, correct me if I'm wrong), it's a "soft drink." Apparently, as opposed to the HARD drinks oft consumed around here. Sandwiches made w/French bread are Po'Boys. Or Po-Boys. It's all spelled differently...

Question: How many of yall have ever heard of cane syrup? Syrup made w/sugar cane. My Dad grew up on the stuff in northern Lousiana...

Yes, cane syrup beats corn syrup any day, but it's never been around in New England. Even so, both these syrups are inferior to the above-mentioned stuff, flavor- and health-wise.

Coke used to be the hardest drink of all, in the old early days when it contained cocaine.

Sandwiches made with French bread, here, are sandwiches-made-with-French-bread. Sorry.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
A black friend of mine brought up an interesting item one day that I never noticed. He says that if you listen to black people describe Kool Aid, he says that they call Cherry/Strawberry/Watermelon colored Kool Aid "Red."

So you ask, "You want Orange, Grape, or what?"
"Gimme Red Flavored Kool Aid."

He also says that other words get mixed up like Brurick (Buick), Prenz'l (Pencil), and Skreet (Street).

Keep in mind, I'm repeating my black friend's words here, not my own, so I'm not trying to bring any offense to anything!

Beebers

Reaction score
This must be a dialect thing, I've never known people of any color to speak that way up here.

Most of our encounters with molasses here are in baked beans. It's also an outstanding hair conditioner.