Custom figures and dioramas

Dearth

Reaction score
Hey Taylor,

I can do better than advice!

I actually have a broken red-shirt Floyd in my parts bin who has a broken/missing LEFT hand and an intact right hand.

If you don't mind letting Floyd out of your sight for a little while, send him to me and I can swap the figures' entire right forearms at the elbow with a quick boil-and-pop, and put the fully repaired Floyd back in the mail to you.

[Wait, is yours the red-shirt version? If it's a blue-shirt version, I may have to dig out the broken stump and pop in just the good right hand, but either way, it's still do-able.]

I will also try to get the left hand moving without damaging it. It's probably just 'painted shut' like a window.

If you want to try it yourself, my method is pretty much 'feel your way' but the main thing is to grasp the hand and slightly push IN towards the forearm as you try to move it. For some reason, pushing down/in while turning seems to break the paint a bit better, without screwing the hand off the interior post.

Alternately, you might want to dip the left arm in some hot water for about thirty seconds, maybe a minute, and see if you can pop it straight out while it's softer.

Contact me at Ploovo241@aol.com and we can discuss the mailing procedure for the repair.

Alex

Dearth

Reaction score
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Well, quite a day for this thread... Taylor mailed off his Floyd for me to fix, and I got the sculpts finished for the Leprechaun Bros. just now!

http://threads.rebelscum.com/imagepopup.php?imagename=http:%2F%2Fthreads.rebelscum.com%2Fphotogallery%2Fwatermark.php?file=195624&imagewidth=680&imageheight=768

I wanted to have them totally done by St. Patrick's Day, but I'm headed to work, so I may not have a chance to paint the sweaters until closer to 10pm tonight.

It'll be just down to the wire!

Alex

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
Alex,
Fantastic as usual!
I'm excited to see what else you have up your Muppety sleeves....

Dearth

Reaction score
Fantastic as usual!
Thanks... I was amazed that I got all of the sweaters done on the last day; I really thought those would prove much more time-consuming.

I didn't quite get them all painted by midnight, so I still missed the deadline. But that's the great thing about self-imposed deadlines. You don't really HAVE to kick your own behind about it, if you don't want.

I decided to go all acrylic for the paint; no spray-paint, not even for primer. They've all had their basecoat of hand-mixed, hand-applied grey acrylic.

As of this writing, Chef has had two coats of Antique White for the sweater, and probably needs a third. Beaker has had about one-and-a-half coats. And Animal is still just primer grey.

Plus Beaker's eyes and nose have been repainted, and a tiny piece that broke off when I accidentally dropped his tam has been reglued and given another coat of paint to try to hide the crack.

I'm excited to see what else you have up your Muppety sleeves....
Well... I did let a few details slip over in the Rebelscum forums. So I guess I can post them here too.

I have a Muppets Take Manhattan group of *seven* simultaneous customs planned. I have five of the necessary figures on hand already, and the Count is soon to provide me with the other two. This project required me to take a particular accessory and make a mold of it to duplicate for all the characters. I coaxed a fellow customizer out of his semi-retirement to handle the recasting job.

I also have a Muppets from Space diorama planned, but I don't wish to say more for fear of jinxing a deal I'm working on regarding that one.

And I've got some more photos to take (like all my wife's latest Muppet Babies toys by Playmates) and plenty more video to edit (namely "Leprechaun Bros WIP part 2")!

Alex

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
I have a Muppets Take Manhattan group of *seven* simultaneous customs planned. I have five of the necessary figures on hand already, and the Count is soon to provide me with the other two. This project required me to take a particular accessory and make a mold of it to duplicate for all the characters. I coaxed a fellow customizer out of his semi-retirement to handle the recasting job.
That sounds cool. My only question is, is it the Manhattan Melodies crew from the college show? or from the Broadway show? Best of luck making top hats. (I can only assume that would be the accessory you're replicating.) :wink:

I also have a Muppets from Space diorama planned, but I don't wish to say more for fear of jinxing a deal I'm working on regarding that one.
Sounds cool, but where are you going to get a Jeffery Tambor figure? :wink:

Dearth

Reaction score
My only question is, is it the Manhattan Melodies crew from the college show? or from the Broadway show? Best of luck making top hats. (I can only assume that would be the accessory you're replicating.) :wink:
Give that GonzoLover a see-gar!

Yes, I am making the Broadway costumes, so I sent a Kermit-sized top-hat and a Fozzie-sized one to a fellow customizer to make molds for me and run off some duplicates. Now that I had this brainstorm, I can think of all sorts of other customs that need recast hats.

Sounds cool, but where are you going to get a Jeffery Tambor figure? :wink:
Well, there's the Mayor of Who-ville figure from the Jim Carrey Grinch movie, but he's too short.

I put that Mayor figure alongside one of my Star Wars figures one time to see who would get the joke... Jeffrey and Wat Tambor.

Alex

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
Yes, I am making the Broadway costumes
I'm interested in how you'll get the sparkles to stick properly without ruining articulation.
Well, even if they end up being in one pose for the rest of their "lives" they'll still make a great collectible.

Dearth

Reaction score
I'm interested in how you'll get the sparkles to stick properly without ruining articulation.
You know, I hadn't thought of that. I've got a rainbow assortment of glitter glue left over from the pack I bought around Christmas to finish the Saltine commission, but it never occurred to me I might have difficulty with the articulation.

On Saltine, only the waist joint got glitter-glue, and she was fully disassembled at the time. I'll have to experiment and see what can be done to retain poseability.

Oh well, like a man says, no problems, only solutions.

Alex

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
Maybe spray glue and then throw the glitter where you want it? Or, they sell glitter paint right? Maybe?