1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

D23 Expo: Muppet news and happenings

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by theprawncracker, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Luke

Luke Active Member

If that D23 was a looped track recorded in studio they could have altered and tuned the audio anyway, polished it up a lot. There were so many voices on it they would have needed to do it as a multi-layered studio thing.

It did sound great, having them all together like that.

2. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Wait, is there a full video of the muppets singing? Because I only saw the very tail end of Kermit's line and it is hard to tell anything from that.

3. statler salad

statler salad Member

Bad news today - Dick Cook (Disney chairman and the guy who announced all the new cool Muppety news at D23) has stepped down from Disney. I hope this means his successor does not axe all his great plans!

4. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

If Disney is really trying to make next year the "year of the Muppets" then it would be really great if more classic Muppet programs were shown on Disney's channels. Some fans have speculated that Disney hasn't been broadcasting The Muppet Show reruns becasue they might compete with DVD sales, but it would be great if every once in awhile The Disney Channel or ABC Family would have a Muppet Show marathon (has Disney ever had any big marathons on it's channels?). Heck, it would be great if The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made were to be promoted with a day-long Muppet marathon, featuring epsidoes of The Muppet Show, Mupet Babies, and Muppets Tonight (oh, and MuppeTelevision and Little Muppet Monsters), plus various Muppet movies and specials, and maybe also the television debuts of the virmup shorts between programs.

5. RockSTAR girl

RockSTAR girl Member

Ya, you can't tell from the video what he sounded like. But being at D23, my friend and I thought Kermit's singing was a little "low". After the event I watched the videos of Artie doing the VMAs and AGT. and yeah, it was Artie at D23. What I think made the D23 performance successful compared to the others was that A) Kermit didn't talk, he just showed up at the tail end of it singing. B) He didn't really move; he just stayed still, strummed the banjo, and sang. C) It was short.
    I think that the new Kermit, just moves awkwardly and his voice is TOO low. Keep him from talking or moving and you've got a winner ;)

As for a Marathon, at least I have The Muppet Show on DVD. I am absolutely DYING for a Muppets Tonight Marathon!

6. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Since s3 has been out for a long enough time now and it's going to be awhile before s4, a marathon would bump dvd sales instead of take away from them at this time.

And yes Disney Channel does too marathons - they've been showing back to back episodes of Jonas for a few weekends now and they actually broke out and played a few hours of Lizzie Mcguire either last weekend or the weekend before (how sad is it that i know this? I have Disney as the "default" channel on my set to have on when nothing else is on just cuz one never knows when there might be the rare Muppet promo, commercial, or mention)

7. hoopless

hoopless Member

HAHA that's so harsh. I'm sure he just needs some more time to find his flippers.

8. petrieboy

petrieboy Member

I left after my negative comment, so I'm just getting back to seeing the negative comments about my negative comment.

It's not about requiring Jim back from the dead. It's about finding a better team. You don't go to teenage pulp writers for a Muppet script. Their next film needs great writing above anything else. I worry about the team behind "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" because that was such a sleaze fest. If they can make it intelligent and inoffensive, then good.

Jim created, just as God created us. His creation is here. His gifts were creating them and using them while he lived. His gift was made available to the future, through his children. If they misuse what he gave, or let it wither away, it does not detract from what he already provided- but it is a shame.

The next film needs to be relaxed, without pop culture jokes and without forced comedy. Subtlety was one of Jim's best traits. Yes, even in the mayhem of The Muppet Show, Kermit was a source of balance and moderation. When someone thinks they're very, very funny- they are not, so much. It's when they're funny and pull off not realizing they're funny... ah, that's funny.

They also need an all out musical. Paul Williams, who also worked on Letters to Santa songs, is the one to go to. He and the Muppets belong together, and his great resources should be tapped for as long as he's willing to contribute. I'm talking full-on full length soundtrack to make history. Like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin... or, like The Muppet Movie.

I'm probably older than a lot of you, and have probably spent more money on Muppet merchandise than a good amount of you, too. So I do have a right to complain. If you sit around garbling up junk food because that's all that you think you're worth, then that's what you get. Even Ocean Spray has taken out high fructose corn syrup due to customer demand.

I'm not really still here because I've lost faith, which I have. I am here because there must be an ounce of it left. All I'm saying is, "Walk with caution" and "It had better be good."

9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That's very pessimistic. And why bring God into it? I'm 35 so does that mean I have more of a right to complain than you do? I agree with many of the points to some degree, but that post as a whole - sorry, but - ick. :grouchy:

10. Luke

Luke Active Member

Well Jim's children sold them, twice ... so that ships sailed. Then again, obviously Jim was going to sell them himself to the same mega coporation at one point though he had his reasons.

I do agree with what you say about a slightly more relaxed film, and about how the Muppets do humour. However, no pop culture jokes, an all out musical? Where would they find the audience for this to justify spending millions to create a theatrical film? How would they get anyone under the age of 35 into the theatre? How could they ever market that? How could any young person identify with the film at all without anything whatsoever they recognise?

Unfortunately its just not do'able. Times have changed, the pace and style of media has changed (maybe not for the best, i'm not suggesting that). Disney can sometimes get away with doing classical animation in a very traditional style but generally thats because it pulls in the pre-teen and tween girls.

I think for a Muppet project to work it has no option than to be something that crosses over every audience demograph and is classic in style but also not too "oldie" that younger viewers can't also connect with. It can be done, just what they do now but a little more tastefully - since Studio DC (which kids didn't seem to like) things seem to have moved more in that direction, the whole Mark Twain thing at D23 was much more classic in style, Letters To Santa had classic elements to it like the music. I just don't see something like the Muppet Movie ever working again though, even the Muppet Show itself hasn't aged well at all in todays media terms.

11. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i agree. i understand little rants, but petrieboy, give me a freakin break. we rully don't want your negativity. and just cause i'm in 7th grade, doesn't give me less of a right to complain. and just cause i haven't spent as much money on Muppet mercahdise, doesnt mean i have less right to complain. and as frogboy said, why bring God into this? and why bring junk food into this?

12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

...well corn syrup is evil. He he. :o

I kind of look at Muppet fans like Star Wars fans. Some grew up with the classic trilogy, some grew up with the second trilogy and some were first introduced to the characters with the Ewok cartoon. Of course the classic trilogy is the best because it's what spawned everything else, but there's value in all of it and fans of all generations. Many younger-gen fans like the classic stuff the best too. It's all relative.

:coy: "There are no rules, and those are the rules." - Cantus

13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

LIAR! You look like you're barely out of college:) :coy:

14. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

He he. The magic of sunscreen. :o

Honestly, I think the Calfornia weather has something to do with that. There's a whole culture of people like us.

Anyway, I still think the Sarah Marshall writers could do a good Muppet piece. Anyone who watched the closing number of that film should be able to see the Muppety potential. I doubt anyone but Kermit and Fozzie Bear will walk around nekkid in the new movie. But who knows? Wardrobe is part of a budget that Gonzo blows at the beginning of the film! :eek:

15. SarahOnBway

SarahOnBway Member

Hahaha! That was funny (and true) ;)

I was incredibly excited when I head Jason Segel was going to be a part of the new Muppet movie, and I hope that he will continue to be involved in Cheapest. He is part of a very popular comedic trend right now. Sarah Marshall and I Love You Man both did better than expected, and with The Hangover being the breakout hit of the summer (not Segel-related, but the same vein of comedy), he is a hot commodity. His name recognition alone would get a good number of 18 - 30 year olds in the theater.

And as far as his humor is concerned, yes, Sarah Marshall had some crass humor, but it was a rated-R adult comedy. He's not going to make the same kind of jokes on a Muppet movie that he did in that. And one of the things I loved about Sarah Marshall is that it retained a lot of heart. Even though it was an adult comedy, with foul language and low-brow humor, the relationships in the movie were quite lovely. Peter and Sarah's relationship was complicated and messy, but it was obvious that they continued to care for each other. It would've been easy to write her off as the mean girl who broke his heart, but Segel went out of his way to give Sarah a moment to explain what led her to cheating on Peter, highlighting Peter's own flaws. Peter and Rachel formed a very sweet friendship, first, and then a romantic relationship. Even the supporting characters form wonderful friendships that are fun to watch. It's well-written and put together nicely. I think he has the perfect background to write about the Muppets. Their relationships with each other are also sometimes complicated, but they all need each other. I think he'd get that.

I forgot where this was going. Yay Jason Segel, I hope he's still with the project!

16. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Forgetting Sarah Marshall had to be the most sexually frank film comedy Ive seen in years, heh. I loved how they even referenced Fraggle Rock, Muppet Show theme, etc. And then the puppet musical.

However Sarah, if you want heart...you NEED to see the newerish Judd Apatow dramedy "Funny People". Best darn Apatow film ever.

Id love to see a pg Muppet film with Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Michael Cera, etc!

17. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention Star Wars... You see, the Muppets and bad projects of late and all that blah blah blah... Jim wasn't behind the latest batch. That's a given. But George Lucas WAS behind Jar Jar Binks, the Chinese stereotype guys, the 90 minute NasPod movie... action figures of every single character that had less than a split second on screen. Even in the hands of the original creator, you're not going to get the same quality. And in the case of George (as well as Steven Spielberg), they even went back and fussed over their old work, adding scenes that needn't be added, changing encounters (George), and replacing, re-editing, and ruining a classic (Steven, with E.T. that foul mouth portion at the breakfast table SHOULD have been left in... I'm sorry... wait... no I'm NOT!)

I have no doubt in my mind that IF they were still involved (Dw brought up an excellent point that they weren't named dropped for Cheapest at the D23), they'd give the fans EXACTLY what we;ve been screaming for. Why? because Jason has expressed his displeasure for the newer Muppet films in almost every single press release since he announced the project.

I agree... the Pop Culture stuff needs to go, and we need more Musical numbers that get your toes tapping (none of that Oz stuff). I will say this... (considering I've been beating up the Oz movie a lot lately) no matter what, we'll never get another horrid film like Oz again. VMX had a lot of pop culturey things (in a Simpsons/Early Family Guy way) that just seem dated now.... the entire scene with Fozzie trying to get the money to Miss Bitterman.... but if you take all that out of VMX, you'd still have a movie with some heart to it. Take all the pop culture stuff out of Oz, and you basically get a standard Saturday Morning Cartoon retelling/parody of Wizard of Oz, and not too much more. That movie was awash in at the momentness... whole thing tied in with American idol? No thank you.

Other than giving some of their friends cameos, I just don't see them doing anything like that with this movie... that is, provided both are still connected to the project.

18. hoopless

hoopless Member

I think the Dracula musical alone shows what good hands the muppets would be in if Segel is still connected. He clearly loves them and IMO is capable of honoring them (and us) with a great new movie.

19. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I didn't realize that there was a chance that Segel was no longer tied to the new Muppet movie. Do we have any solid news on if he is or isn't? If anybody has anything solid could they please report it here.

20. ToasterBoy

ToasterBoy Active Member

Really? I thought the scene with the lasers in the hallway was one of the funniest parts of the whole film.