1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by rowlfy662, Feb 16, 2015.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

So I guess if they want to make a Sweetums, they can make him in scale without worrying about packaging.

2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Isn't Dog Lion bigger with his horns? So he would be the one to worry about would he not?

3. j3h

j3h Active Member

Sure, sweetums, thog, doglion and such would be bigger than 7 inches, but might not require being a "deluxe" figure (in my opinion)

4. dwayne1115

I would love to see them do a full body Muppet Monster set. Now that would be cool!

LStein likes this.
  5. minor muppetz

I'll be surprised if they release any of the other full body monsters in the 7 inch line. Heck, I'd even be surprised if they put out a Sweetums this year or next. I'd expect Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Animal, Scooter, Rowlf, Bunsen, Beaker, Statler, Waldorf, The Swedish Chef, and maybe Rizzo, Pepe, Walter, and others from The Electric Mayhem first (wow, what a world this is when I genuinely feel Scooter and Rowlf would be more likely than Rizzo and Pepe, which I wouldn't have thought during the Palisades era if not for the fact that the line started out as Muppet Show-only). But maybe we'll be surprised. Maybe we'll get characters in an order we wouldn't expect (for the Palisades line, we got the "big guns" in the order I expected, not counting putting Animal before Rowlf and Scooter since he was a playset figure, but when it comes to the order we got The Electric Mayhem in, I expected Janice to come before Zoot).

Mr Sweetums likes this.
  6. j3h

j3h Active Member

Since the first two pack is not due till the very end of this year or early next, it's a very safe bet we would not see large characters any time soon.
    I'm also guessing we won't see what the first figures look like till SDCC or even as late as NYCC if the line's launch is looking to be 2016.

On a side note, which may be telling about what to expect with DST's thought process, they are releasing a line of Ghostbusters in the 7 inch scale. There will be 12 figures total, released 3 at a time. Collect all 12 to build a rooftop diorama (from the end of the first movie). The first three will be Ray, Winston, and Dana (the last figure is not 100% decided yet).

So what does that tell me about the Muppet line? They probably have the first 12 sets in mind already and they might be releasing more than one at a time.

7. los

los Active Member

What if they follow the "build a figure" gimmick used by other toy lines. 5 figures per series, each figure with a different body part for a full body Muppet saving the head for a really obscure Mupet ensuring he/she/it gets sold.
    Series 1:
    Kermit with Thog lower waist and legs
    Dr Teeth with upper torso
    Scooter with left arm
    Lew Zealand with right arm
    Mildred Huxtetter with head

8. minor muppetz

What other toy lines do this?

I think somebody once suggested something like this to Ken at Palisades as a way to get Sweetums released, and he didn't like that idea. Of course that doesn't mean that the Diamond people won't think differently.

I just realized that while it's said that they want the figures to be in scale with their 7-inch figures, that doesn't mean that the packaging (or the plastic part that holds the figures) will be that tall.

Just a day or two ago I added a page for Diamond Select Toys to Muppet Wiki. Now I'm trying to determine if any of the info posted on that one message board should be added or not.

9. dwayne1115

I think any factual info should be added, but any rumor, or questionable info should not.

10. minor muppetz

I don't think there's any rumors about this toy line yet.

The only info I thought could be included but was unsure are the ones about intended size and the fact that they don't want the line to be a continuation/compatible to the Palisades line.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  11. j3h

j3h Active Member

Look through the muppet DST thread on the Fwoosh and report anything said by the poster MSWORD as fact since he represents diamond select toys.

12. minor muppetz

I know those are true, but I was more unsure about the notability on those things. I don't know off-hand if the wiki notes sizes of merchandise.

13. j3h

j3h Active Member

From the latest Diamond Select Q&A:

"Hello, would you be able to give any hints of what’s to come in the Muppet lines? I heard about the Select two-pack and the ten planned mini-mates, but I am so excited for this and would love to hear more details! Are there more than two Select figures planned? Will they come with accessories or set pieces? I noticed that the Mini-Mates line-up did not include any of the Electric Mayhem — any plans for a five-pack? Thank you so much for any response you can give! You have no idea how excited I am!"

DSTChuck: Not much I can say now without getting in trouble but – yes, the Muppets will be Select, with two figures per pack. The figures will be in scale with 7” figure lines just like they would be if the Muppets were “real.” As such, there will not be TONS of accessories or dlx bases – you get two figures. We have line-planned 4 series so far. All the sculpts for series one are in the second round of sculpting – we are now adding the articulation. For Minimates, I can say we have several series planned already, so let’s hope the sales are where we hope/think they will be, and we’ll keep the Muppets coming.

Got a question for DSTChuck? Submit it via the drop-down menu above, or e-mail us with the subject “Ask DST”!

14. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

That is so exciting! They seem to be really optimistic about the line so far, hopefully the sales will correlate to what they hope they are :halo: I'm really hoping we can see a few pictures of either lines sometime soon, the suspense is killing me!

dwayne1115 likes this.
  15. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

It sounds like they have a year's worth of quarterly goals mapped out. Yay that. Will each series be comprised of one two-pack of figures or will there be several two-packs per series? And if so, how many per series? Here's a somewhat balanced plan as I see it. Who knows what it would be like, but if it only lasted a year, this would be somewhat comprehensive.

Kermit & Fozzie
    Rowlf & Pepe

Animal & Piggy
    Scooter & Rizzo

Gonzo & Camilla
    Bunsen & Beaker

Statler & Waldorf
    Swedish Chef & Sam

*Convention Exclusive Sweetums

Mr Sweetums, dwayne1115 and j3h like this.
  16. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

From what we know from Palisades Miss Piggy is generally a hard character to sell so adding her with Animal as a two pack is a genius idea.
    Miss Piggy and Animal 2-pack, I really want to see these two packaged together now for some reason. :mad::halo:

jvcarroll likes this.
  17. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

Maybe because they are both characters that Frank Oz performed? (When he was still with The Muppets) That's just a guess though. ;)

Mr Sweetums likes this.
  18. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

That's probably why, seeing as they've both always been played by the same Muppeteer they barley interact, that's probably why I like the idea of them together. Probably the same reason I liked the idea of Sam the Eagle and Fozzie packaged together. :attitude::o

19. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

After looking through Diamond Select's typical pattern, it seems they release three different packages per wave. If two figures come per package in the Muppets, that could mean up to 6 figures per quarter. So I've adjusted my speculation on how they could fit the major players into a year's worth of releases:

Kermit & Fozzie
    Rowlf & Pepe
    Walter & Crazy Harry

Animal & Piggy
    Scooter & Floyd
    Dr. Teeth & Robin

Gonzo & Camilla
    Statler & Waldorf
    Rizzo & Zoot

Bunsen & Beaker
    Swedish Chef & Janice
    Sam & Lew

*Convention Exclusive Sweetums

minor muppetz likes this.
  20. minor muppetz

I was under the impression we'd only get one two-pack at a time.