1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Meet Julia
    Sesame Street's newest Muppet has autism. Meet Julia this Monday on HBO and PBS. Then discuss the anticipated episode with fans.

3. Sesame Street Season 47
    Sesame Street's 47th season officially began Saturday January 7 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by rowlfy662, Feb 16, 2015.

1. floydnjanicefan

floydnjanicefan Active Member

I haven't been charged for 3 yet. I remember Palisades always had delayed release dates, so im not especially concerned or upset. Back in the day, I made my Mom take me to either Suncoast video, Toys R Us, and/or EB Games every Friday for months surrounding an anticipated release haha.

I did just add series 4 to my preorders though. Hopefully it adds to a tally that shoes Diamond there is demand and helps inspire a series 5 and beyond.

2. bobby bensen

bobby bensen Active Member

I was really young back in the palisades days but I remember clearly going into target and buying wave 5 and at a later point going into suncoast and finding wave 7, I think that I was so into it that my Grandma would call and found out release dates :) good times lol

floydnjanicefan likes this.
  3. bobby bensen

But I never saw or got wave 9 at that time because by then Target was no longer selling them and the suncoast had been closed.

4. bobby bensen

What was funny is I didn't even know any of the Muppet Tonight characters, I was too young to have seen the original run and I guess I never saw the reruns. I'm sure if Disney had released a DVD of it I probably would have seen it though :skeptical: My only knowledge of Johnny was through Its a very merry Muppet Christmas movie, and I knew Pepe from Muppets from space. I never understood why Rizzo, Pepe, Johnny, Sal, and others went on the season 1 DVD set I had. Lol sorry for the rambling

5. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Any updates or anything on series 3?

bobby bensen likes this.
  6. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

They are tentatively coming around the end of next month. :sing:

7. Wafflesnacker

Wafflesnacker Member

Just got Kermit:) And that Swedish chef looks nice!

WhoseLineFan and jvcarroll like this.
  8. Rtec1

Rtec1 Member

He does look great, if we're lucky we might see him by Xmas 2018!

9. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

So does anybody know how well the action figures and mini mates have sold? Have they sold well enough to be a success or have they sold poorly (if not somewhere in-between)?

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the figures line won't make it past series 4. Of course, even when they were announced, I didn't think the Mini Mates or action figures would make it past the initial four series (and I've heard that the Mini Mates won't have a series 4.... wait, was it officially announced that four series were planned or am I just thinking that it was?), and Toys R Us dropped both after their respective series 2's.

Interestingly, back when the Palisades line was announced, I was very confident that it would go past the initial four series that were planned, and I ended up being right, and I felt from the start that Diamond wouldn't make it past four series (but it might be too early to know if I was right... I hope I am wrong in this case). Of course most of the Diamond releases had at least two characters packaged together, so that gets us a bit more characters.

And of course there's the fact that the action figure market is different from how it was during the Palisades days (and the market started to change almost halfway through the lines run). Of course, the Palisades figures didn't sell as well as the fans thought (even though it sold well enough to justify nine series). And there's the fact that the Diamond Select Toys were only sold at Toys R Us and various comic book shops/online retailers whereas the Palisades figures were sold at a lot more places and were sold at more mainstream retailers (even if most of those mainstream places dropped the line after only a few series).

bobby bensen likes this.
  10. muppetlover123

So it's gonna be April 1st tomorrow and there has been no sign of a release date or even saying something like 2nd week of April or 1st week. I hope I'm proven wrong?

Blue Frackle likes this.
  11. floydnjanicefan

floydnjanicefan Active Member

The Diamond Select shipping schedule was updated yesterday. Now series 3 says Summer 2017: http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/2017/03/ship-dates-update/

12. Rtec1

Rtec1 Member

Jesus really? I loved the first two series but I'm about to give up on these, by the time we get series four it will be over two years since the first came out. Look how much the Ghostbusters figures have been churned out in that time.

Blue Frackle and jvcarroll like this.
  13. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Woah. I know that there are many steps along the way and the boats from China can be slow to get here, but that'll make it nearly a year between series. Weirdness! :o

14. muppetlover123

Ugggh....I'm getting tired of waiting. I know it will be worth it in the end but I hope this push back again of the date isn't a sign they will be done after series 4.

jvcarroll likes this.
  15. Rtec1

Rtec1 Member

That looks a certainty, these Muppet figures do not seem to be a priority for them at all. It looks like they're being dragged over the line!

WhoseLineFan and jvcarroll like this.
  16. jvcarroll

Assurances or info from their PR rep would be very valuable about now. This radio silence on the Muppets brand doesn't help sales.

17. Rtec1

Rtec1 Member

Exactly, can't remember the last time the DST fella commented on the board. Starting to regret selling all my Palisades figures

18. jvcarroll

These are still wonderful figures and the DST guy is really good when he's involved. I like him. I bet we'll get the remaining series this year, but more info would be nice. There's not even much talk about it over on their boards. I'd like to hear a real representative give fans a definitive answer about the series.

muppetperson and muppetlover123 like this.
  19. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

yes, a few people have been selling their Muppet Palisades figures in hopes of a great DST Muppet line, but one thing about Palisades, we are never going to get a better line that featured so many obscure and "never made before" figures !

Blue Frackle likes this.
  20. Rtec1

Rtec1 Member

I sold mine knowing and happy with the fact we were only getting 4 series, I don't need more than the core characters, but I didn't realise it would take this long. It's the silence that's frustrating.
    If they were to come out and say the delay was due to them deciding to add Rowlfs Piano or something like that then I'd be happy with the explanation. I'm even paying someone to make me a diorama similar to that brilliant one that was made by someone for the Palisades figures. So like others here I'm a little cheesed off with the silence!