Dinosaurs: Writer's Block

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
Someone who knows the word dystopia! LOL wonderful! I wonder if it looks anything like a bleak, post-apocalyptic Dinotopia...

This is funny as heck even though the characters are all new to me. Somehow it kills me that a pack of apparently quite literate dinos are led by tough-jawed Spike. Or, I suppose, conversely, that someone like Spike would have literate followers...very cute.

And Earl's contribution to the story had "Love & Marriage" playing in my head. Erk...
---------------

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Oooh, that'd be neat, LOL.

Crazy Lou is the most verbose and articulate of the Scavengers. I take it he is meant to counter the gang stereotype that is Spike and Lingo, especially. I like to portray Spike as smart but "street smart" and rather direct. Lingo's gag seems to be his gang slang. Scabby is laid back (maybe he's been doing the plant, I dunno). Crazy Lou is the geek of the group. I had the idea over in Comeback to pair Charlene, whose grades weren't stellar, with Crazy Lou, who was evidently a genius despite his chosen lifestyle.

I'm thinking I only have 1 or 2 chapters left for this story. If you'd like to see more, I have some more fics, most likely on that fic list of Ed's. Mighty Megalosaurus is a prequel to the series. Fridge Day takes place later in the show's history but is a follow up to the Dinosaurian Holiday Episode, which was kinda like Thanksgiving plus Christmas. The Mammal and the Cook is just a fairy tale Ethyl Phillips tells her grandson, Baby Sinclair. :smile:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------
Kewl. I shall certainly check them out soon. :smile:

--------------

RedPiggy

Reaction score
And here's Leader of the Pack, abridged to about 5 minutes, where the Scavengers appear:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
Hah...now I get the appeal. :news:

---------------

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Friendly bump to prove this thread hasn't gone extinct like the saurians who star in it. :electric:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Robbie walked into the hallway, headed for the literature class a few doors down from the cafeteria. His heart was racing. What could Spike and the Scavengers be up to?

The shrill alarm began to sound as Robbie started to run, dodging in between a growing throng of panicked students. He rammed accidentally into a slender dinosaur with soft, feminine features.

“Hey! Watch it!” she yelled, and Robbie recognized her and threw her across the hall. She grunted and rubbed her shoulder, her eyes piercing straight into his heart. “What’s wrong with you?” she hissed. “Are you eating –“

He firmly placed his hand on her snout. “Just shut up a moment and listen,” he hissed back. “The Scavengers are attacking the school. I have to get you safe, Wendy. There’s no time to argue, so just do what I say!”

Wendy growled and shoved his hand away. “Do you really expect me to believe Spike would attend school long enough to attack it?”

Robbie sighed. “He’s my best friend, Wendy, but, let’s face it, only an idiot would trust him.”

Wendy frowned and turned her head. “So, that’s it? You’re just going to march up to Spike, guns … or whatever … blazing ….” She stared at him. “You’re not even armed, are you? You think a skinny little geek like you can take down the Scourge of the Swamp?”

He caressed her face. “I know I’m not the obvious choice, but I have to do something.” He set a determined look on his face and hammered his right fist into his left palm. “I’m the only one who can.”

She rolled her eyes. “Oh, brother!”

Robbie ran off, leaving Wendy shocked. Wasn’t he supposed to rescue her or something? She screamed in frustration, dug out a change purse, and stomped toward the front lobby of the school.

Meanwhile, smoke started to roll out of the ventilation shafts, leaving the fleeing students to choke. A loud screech filled the air as the intercom came on.

It was Crazy Lou’s voice. “Students of Scavenger High. Be aware the student body is now under new management, as the Scavenger Pack has found it advantageous --.”

“—They’re gonna snooze an’ lose,” Lingo could be heard grumbling.

“Shut up!” Crazy Lou countered before continuing, “As stress levels are rising, the student body will find themselves unfocused and prepared to let loose mighty yellow streams of abject terror.”

“Tell ‘em not ta come fer us in da principal’s office,” Scabby advised nervously.

There was a smack and a whelp from Scabby. “Shaddup,” Spike’s voice warned.

Robbie’s eyes grew big, but watered heavily as the smoke began to irritate them. He would try to ambush the Scavengers in the Principal’s office, but how could he defeat them? There were, lessee: one, two, three, four – yeah, four Scavengers versus a varsity athlete who couldn’t even whack a volleyball over a net with his tail last year.

Maybe if it was just the other three. But Spike? He single-handedly took down the other Scavengers when the Sinclairs were in trouble. How could he survive such an encounter?

Maybe he could be reasoned with.

They were friends, right?

Robbie burst through the door of the Principal’s Office.

Spike smacked Scabby upside his head. “I told ya ta keep yer trap shut!”

Robbie stood in a defensive posture and stared at Spike. “Spike, whatever you’re trying to prove, this isn’t the right way.”

Spike smirked and suddenly became more casual, the tip of his tail twitching playfully. “You are so right, Sinclair. I suddenly see how persuing da lib’ral arts curriculum prepares dinosaurs for a bettah life. All dis time I t’ought dat it was learnin’ how ta survive. You got dinosaurs taday who can write a nice little poem but don’ know when ta find shelter in a storm. True, dese dinosaurs are gonna starve ta death, but, hey, it’s da lil’ t’ings in life dat make da world a bettah place, ain’t it?”

Robbie nodded. “Okay, Spike, I get it: academic studies are flawed. Is it really worth killing everyone over?”

Spike frowned, his voice suddenly deadly. “I told ya, Scootah … Scavengahs ain’t killed nobody.”

Suddenly, the room went black. The fans turned off. The air became stale. Only the scent of all that leather garb filled the room, making it harder to breathe.

A loud ringing made everyone jump a foot high. Scabby fumbled around and picked up the principal’s phone. “Yo!” he greeted the caller nervously. “Oh, whoa, really?”

“Who is it?” Spike asked him curtly.

Scabby scowled in pain, holding the receiver far from his ear, where loud screaming could be heard over the tiny speaker. He glanced at Spike. “Brother Spike, I think … I think they’re sendin’ the army or somethin’.”

Spike whisked the receiver from Scabby’s hand and put it up to his ear. “Who da heck is dis?” He cringed when the voice, which sounded like thousands of claws on a blackboard, screamed some more. “Whoevah said I had ‘er hostage?” He paused to listen. “Dat chick can take care o’ herself.” His eyes grew big and he forgot to breathe as he listened further to the tirade. “You did happen ta mention dat some time ago, yeah,” he told the voice, fidgeting uncomfortably. “I ain’t forgotten, neithah.” He tried to chuckle as Robbie started glancing over at the other Scavengers, who shrugged and cowered in a corner. “Jus’ a lil’ boyhood prank, sir, dat’s all. Lil’ smoke, lil’ terror … ain’t nuttin’ ta worry about.”

Robbie was amazed as the voice on the other end seem to calm a bit.

“You do dat, sir,” Spike continued with a grin. “Sinclair heah has a report on it jus’ waitin’ fer da school newspapah or somethin’.” He laughed. “Yeah, you should see it: he’s all yellow. Nuttin’ says fun like makin’ a Sinclair squirm, am I right, sir?” He laughed again and nodded. “I’ll see ya dere. You take care, sir.”

After Spike hung up, he noticed everyone gawking at him. He glanced at Crazy Lou. “Pack up, Lou. We’re headin’ home.”

“But --.”

He cut a quick glance at Robbie before heading to the door. “Seems Scootah’s girlfriend here has found it useful ta pull strings wit’ da utility comp’ny. Seems her ol’ man plans on havin’ us fer dinnah if we’re evah in da same buildin’ if his lil’ girl evah feels even da slightest pang of danger again.”

They slowly bowed their heads as they passed Robbie through the door.

Later that day, in Lit class, Robbie coughed as he held up his notes. “The male hero, desperate to save his wife, ventured once more into the swamp to defeat the terrifying monster bent on attacking everyone in sight.” He sighed and stared at Spike’s empty seat. “One thing the male hero didn’t count on, though, was the fact that his wife got tired of being treated as though she were just a passive element in the relationship. She called out into the winds, and her father, the Great Boss, arrived and threw such a tantrum that the swamp nearly collapsed from the strength of his screams. The swamp monster sank into the depths of the swamp and bothered no one anymore.” He smiled and looked up. “Of course, as long as there is a swamp, the Scourge will always be a threat.” He glanced at Wendy and smiled at her. She rolled her eyes and shook her head slowly.

THE END

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh... Trust a woman to get the job done saving the guy instead. Enjoyed the scare the Scavengers put the rest of the school through. Recognized who the voice was once we got some dialogue between it and Spike. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
BTW: Where does this one go in your lineup?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I consider it part of my Comeback Chronicles, so I guess it should go between Fridge Day and Fraggle Rock: The Elder Chronicles. That should roughly have it in chronological order.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay. *Makes note to stick it there on the fridge.