Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
"Hey, I liked Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse. It far exceeds the original concept to me."

Right on, Frogboy 4! Bakshi's Mighty Mouse pulverized the old Terry Toon's episodes! Not to mention the beyond abysmal Mighty Mouse cartoon from Filmation in the late 70's. Bakshi's my hero!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
"Hey, I liked Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse. It far exceeds the original concept to me."

Right on, Frogboy 4! Bakshi's Mighty Mouse pulverized the old Terry Toon's episodes! Not to mention the beyond abysmal Mighty Mouse cartoon from Filmation in the late 70's. Bakshi's my hero!
I liked them allot also.:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, I liked Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse. It far exceeds the original concept to me. But I get what you're saying. And Looney Tunes had established "older" people working on concepts for films and television that just didn't pan out. I felt those projects had a lack of focus or chose empty focal points for their story. Sure Space Jam did well, but it is disheartening to many lontime fans, like myself, to see the characters get sold out for cheap sports theatrics. Chuck Jones wasn't even included in any discussions about Jam and he offered his help.
I loved them Mighty mouse: the New Adventures shows too. But it seemed that after that, there was nothing else they bothered to do with the character. Paramount sat on it with it's gigantic Spongebutt for years (I like Spongey too, but for far too long, the Mighty Mouse cartoons were only avaialble on dollar store DVD's of copyright expired fare). Now that CBS split from Paramount, CBS got the Terrytoons library. unfortunately, it looks like they aren't planning on doing anything with that either.

Personally, I feel that the Looney Tune's biggest accomplishments were the 90's cartoon series like Taz-Mania, Sylvester and Tweety mysteries, and the 2003 show Duck Dodgers. While they weren't exactly like the originals, they were, I feel, much better than the 1960's made for TV Looney Tune Shorts done almost exclusively by Friz Freling. Now, I think he was a great director for them, and he made wonderful stuff... but those late 60's ones were just dull and static.

Which is also why I brought up Tom and Jerry Tales. Sure, it lacks with it's Korean animation and synthetic sound track... but it keeps in spirtit the classic T&J shorts MUCH better than the 1970's Hanna barbera Show (where they headlined with some of HB's worst characters like Grape Ape, and a clone of their own Muttley), and the dreadful Filmation series.

I feel the Muppets didn't so much lose their core as much as their sense of direction too. I think OZ was the wrong project for Disney to gauge success on. The core problem with the novel movies is that the Muppets aren't exactly the stars of them, so much as the supporting cast. MCC had Michael Cain. MTI had Tim Curry, and that effeminant kid. Oz had some pop star. The other 2 worked because they chose actors that worked well with the Muppets (and we established actors). Oz was just awkward due to stunt casting. And of course, the rush for Disney to get the project out as soon as they had the Muppets. On both counts it was just uneven.

I have no doubt in my mind that, yes, while we'll get Stoller and Segel's friends as cameos, we just won't see the same stunt casting that dampered OZ, and none of the cameos and pop culture refferences that dulled up VMX. But of course, when it comes to VMX, we have the question... Did NBC shove in series promotional cameos, or did the writers do it to coax NBC to air it?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Something that I have been thinking about lattly is this movie and if it will be good or not. I first go with what I know, and so far from everything I have read out of Seagl's own interviews he seems to be on the same wave as most of us Muppet fans. I think that there is something that could really make or break this movie though, and that is Disney. I am not doing what some have done and bash Disney. I just wonder after the script is done, and they are ready to start filming if Disney will still be as thriled with this as they where when they bought the script.

My thinking is that if for some reason Disney backs down and does not want Seagel to make the movie. That Seagel will try to somehow buy the Muppets. Or help them sperate from Disney and make them there own company. I think that the Muppets could have there own company outside of Disney and even JHC. I think that it really could be done if the Muppets would have a great marketing campain. What needs to be done and what has needed to be done for years is that the Muppet name needs to get out there more. Once that happens then and only then will the Muppets be able to be on there own.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
First off I think these guys will do great. Segel is a fan, and is tired of the same old new movies re-doing stories etc. Lets have faith here people. Disney wont back down, the news is out everywhere, and if they do back down, lots of people will freak. Including the writers, us, and celebrities etc. This is a great opprotunity, we're not going to get carbon copies of The Muppet Movie but we could get something new, and ORIGINAL. I feel that Joel wont let anyone down, he has the pressure to make this movie succesful, and he succeeded with FSM.
We just gotta have more faith.

Just my two cents. :hungry:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
First off I think these guys will do great. Segel is a fan, and is tired of the same old new movies re-doing stories etc. Lets have faith here people. Disney wont back down, the news is out everywhere, and if they do back down, lots of people will freak. Including the writers, us, and celebrities etc. This is a great opprotunity, we're not going to get carbon copies of The Muppet Movie but we could get something new, and ORIGINAL. I feel that Joel wont let anyone down, he has the pressure to make this movie succesful, and he succeeded with FSM.
We just gotta have more faith.

Just my two cents. :hungry:
Thanks berry i needed that. Sometimes i just think to much.

unclematt

Reaction score
I am going to say it very simply

As of now, I am not worried at all.

unclematt

Reaction score
No problem Prawnie, Thats just how I feel and you are right. It feels fantastic!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm so happy to return and see this thread in a positive direction!

I'm ready for Segel and Stoller to get this gig goin'! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.