Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm glad he writes back.

Has someone else tried to draw Gonzo, just free-hand from thought, lately? I was doing some sketches last night and, even as much as I've watched these characters and as much as I love them, they are hard to draw.

My buddy told me I have too much emotion tied up into them and that's why I try so hard with them.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I remember watching a clip (or reading something) where Jim Henson himself was talking about how hard it can be for an artist to draw the Muppets. If you don't capture certain elements, such as the way they stand or the way their "skulls" are shaped, the whole picture is thrown off. I think that's defiantly true.

It's hard to get emotion out of a piece of felt, and thus, I think it's also hard to get emotion out of a drawing of a piece of felt. (Not that Muppets are simply felt, but you know what I mean. I hope.)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I remember watching a clip (or reading something) where Jim Henson himself was talking about how hard it can be for an artist to draw the Muppets. If you don't capture certain elements, such as the way they stand or the way their "skulls" are shaped, the whole picture is thrown off. I think that's defiantly true.

It's hard to get emotion out of a piece of felt, and thus, I think it's also hard to get emotion out of a drawing of a piece of felt. (Not that Muppets are simply felt, but you know what I mean. I hope.)
Yes i can understand what your saying, but to kind of dissagree with what you have said. Look at the Muppet Babies. I think they where drwan preety close to what the Puppets in Muppets take Manhaten looked.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think in matters of artistic interpretation, feelings are always going to be mixed. There's nothing wrong with that. I personally, like both.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The style is growing on me a little bit, but I still would like him to go back to the drawing board on Gonzo in all of the incarnations I have seen so far. He's just such a special little character to me and one of the main guys - the only main guy to still have his original performer. :concern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Has someone else tried to draw Gonzo, just free-hand from thought, lately? I was doing some sketches last night and, even as much as I've watched these characters and as much as I love them, they are hard to draw.
I must admit, it's not so much the nose (I can do that beautifully) but the eyes that cause me trouble. And to some extent the fuzzy feathery top knot on his head. Though, oddly enough, the hardest muppets for me to draw to look right are Grover, Ernie, and Rolf... and that's because of their odd eye slants. Now the Chef... I could knock out a good Chef in under a minute.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
http://www.hotelfred.com/ contains Langridge's new press release about the Muppets along with the second variant cover. The press release is located down the page after the initial cartoon. Also, click the Muppet cover for hi-res closeup.

I actually like most of it. Gonzo is still quite incorrect in his nose area. The sharp shape just doesn't capture his personality at all. That really is the easiest part to draw and I don't see why such a talented artist would intentionally goof on that. It is a step closer than previous incarnations and it does appear that he is attempting to get closer to the mark. I hope he arrives there before Gonzo's original comic book story.

After looking through more of his site I feel confident that the Muppets can shine under Langridge. I just hope they get there. Right now I'm just focused on Gonzo. Once that gets settled I'll rest easier.

And yes, he has given Animal 6 teeth instead of 7. I'm okay with that, I just hope Gonzo doesn't sprout an extra finger.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I'm sort of on the fence with the art (well in that case get off and share with the rest of us! Wocka Wocka!) But even though that's so not Gonzo and he looks like a Dodo I sort of like it.
I think everyone else looks fine and plan to have the comic saved for me each time it comes out.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of on the fence with the art (well in that case get off and share with the rest of us! Wocka Wocka!) But even though that's so not Gonzo and he looks like a Dodo I sort of like it.
I think everyone else looks fine and plan to have the comic saved for me each time it comes out.
Here's a fix (on the right) that uses Langridge's drawing and style with more of the Muppety shape that makes Gonzo - Gonzo.

I went over to the Langridge blog where many of the responders likely wouldn't know a Gonzo from a Grover. They seem astounded by the negative feedback thus far. Maybe they think that Muppet fans are warmer and fuzzier than DC, Marvel or Star Wars fans. I think there's a feeling out there that we're supposed to expect less or take what we can get. I have faith that the artist can do the Muppets justice even if he isn't my first choice for their comic artist. With some tweaks in his Gonzo design he could possibly grow on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.