Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
I went over to the Langridge blog where many of the responders likely wouldn't know a Gonzo from a Grover. They seem astounded by the negative feedback thus far. Maybe they think that Muppet fans are warmer and fuzzier than DC, Marvel or Star Wars fans. I think there's a feeling out there that we're supposed to expect less or take what we can get. I have faith that the artist can do the Muppets justice even if he isn't my first choice for their comic artist. With some tweaks in his Gonzo design he could possibly grow on me.

Maybe Im the odd one out, but I absolutely love his take on the Muppets. It'd be lame if it was a by the books Muppet illustration. I like a wonky sort of inspiration.

I think some Muppet fans arent used to his style, of which by checking out his blog I think this perfectly encapsulates:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PM9SPI7FE...AAHw/HjY9qqIAmWI/s1600-h/04-Menu-Masthead.jpg

I havent been this excited for a comic book series in ages(and I used to be big into comics for awhile)

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I was restraining my thoughts until I saw Langdridge's drawings in color... and now that this has popped up, I must say that I DO actually like the artwork a lot. It's very fresh and new and doesn't make the Muppets look too soft and cuddly and kiddy--and it's also wonderful to see Rowlf, Scooter, and Sam featured in what looks to be starring roles. I'm also intruiged by the fact that Jim Lewis is helping coordinate these--that is AWESOME and a very good sign for the story department, and I hope the art will refelect that.

Like Jamie, my only real complaint is Gonzo. He holds an extremely large place in my heart and I just can't bear to see him butchered. And, well, he hasn't been completely butchered here... it's just... awkward--for lack of a better word. He doesn't look approachable--the actual Gonzo looks crazy with the perfect blend of friendliness thrown in--which is what his personality is. Animal looks friendlier than Gonzo in this picture, and that just ain't right.

I think, honestly, the only real problem I have is the nose. It's WAY too sharp. If he rounded out the nose I don't think I would have a problem with Gonzo at all (aside from the four fingers). I'm also not too happy about the color choices, but my main complaint is the nose. Other than that Gonzo looks very good. The eyes are great and really capture his personality--just fix that nose!

But otherwise, everyone is AWESOME! Scooter is perfect, Rowlf is really great looking (with his mouth closed), I'm sold on Kermit now that I've seen him in color, Piggy is GORGEOUS, Fozzie looks like a lot of fun, Animal looks good--but much better in the black and white picture, and Sam is perfect as well.

So... generally I like it. Just fix the weirdo and we'll be good. :concern:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
From what I've seen, Scooter has a pretty big, visible role. Also, in the comic I've read, he doesn't have teeth, which was a criticism I heard earlier. I guess the teeth in the poster were just used for expression.

Has anyone heard if the comic will be in color, or will it be in black and white?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
They should be astounded, as this Landridge guy has some of the zaniest, fresh and fun style I've seen in ages.

Maybe Im the odd one out, but I absolutely love his take on the Muppets. It'd be lame if it was a by the books Muppet illustration. I like a wonky sort of inspiration.

I think some Muppet fans arent used to his style, of which by checking out his blog I think this perfectly encapsulates:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PM9SPI7FE...AAHw/HjY9qqIAmWI/s1600-h/04-Menu-Masthead.jpg

I havent been this excited for a comic book series in ages(and I used to be big into comics for awhile)
The rest of his stuff does look very good, but the Muppets still seems like a work in progress. I suppose this is a genre that you give a lot more slack than, the world of collectibles where you've been much more particular and outspoken. But that does fall in line with your NeoRamen style of the past so it makes sense.

I do like Langridge's slant and I'm very glad he's not using the official style guide on these. I just don't see why he's done this weird thing to Gonzo's beak. That's actually the easiest part to draw. The head shape is the challenge. Even if he simply rounded the tip that would work wonders. Visually he appears vulture like and the Gonzo I know looks and acts nothing like that.

I did compliment the artist on his blog and mention the nose tip being my only real concern as a fan. Gonzo is such a central character that a bit more care should be taken with him than has been shown.

He does seem to know that Gonzo has more depth and is much more of the unpredictable wild card than Animal. He seems he gets them. But a four-fingered condor is not a Gonzo I will accept as a fan. I don't see how other fans would either. I find it strange how none of Langridge's fans even knew there were any true Muppet fans around to care about any of it. Still, right now he's just the odd one out likeness-wise instead of just personality-wise.

beaker

Reaction score
The rest of his stuff does look very good, but the Muppets still seems like a work in progress. I suppose this is a genre that you give a lot more slack than, the world of collectibles where you've been much more particular and outspoken. But that does fall in line with your NeoRamen style of the past so it makes sense.

I do like Langridge's slant and I'm very glad he's not using the official style guide on these. I just don't see why he's done this weird thing to Gonzo's beak. That's actually the easiest part to draw. The head shape is the challenge. Even if he simply rounded the tip that would work wonders. Visually he appears vulture like and the Gonzo I know looks and acts nothing like that.

I did compliment the artist on his blog and mention the nose tip being my only real concern as a fan. Gonzo is such a central character that a bit more care should be taken with him than has been shown.

He does seem to know that Gonzo has more depth and is much more of the unpredictable wild card than Animal. He seems he gets them. But a four-fingered condor is not a Gonzo I will accept as a fan. I don't see how other fans would either. I find it strange how none of Langridge's fans even knew there were any true Muppet fans around to care about any of it. Still, right now he's just the odd one out likeness-wise instead of just personality-wise.
Oh I just wish we could have had more smaller Muppet figures, no doubt every 5" Muppet series figure that came out was a really knock em sock em rendition. I can see why some fans werent happy with some of the Sesame action figure stylings, not that either of those series ever had a chance of making it.

One of my favorite modern comic artists is of course Jhonen Vasquez(Invader Zim), though admittedly he would be a bit inappropriate for the Muppets.

Many might might agree with me saying that the absolute best
artistic rendition of the Muppets has to be in the 1978 Muppet Show book. The Marvel Comics Muppet comics of the early 80's were adequate for the time I suppose, but it's been a long time since we got any newer artistic interpretations.
Granted, Langridge's art at first reminds me of the kind of art you'd see in a kid's meal booklet/placemat art at Denny's, but I think it has its charm.

And yeah, the Gonzo is pretty...weird. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh I just wish we could have had more smaller Muppet figures, no doubt every 5" Muppet series figure that came out was a really knock em sock em rendition. I can see why some fans werent happy with some of the Sesame action figure stylings, not that either of those series ever had a chance of making it.

One of my favorite modern comic artists is of course Jhonen Vasquez(Invader Zim), though admittedly he would be a bit inappropriate for the Muppets.

Many might might agree with me saying that the absolute best
artistic rendition of the Muppets has to be in the 1978 Muppet Show book. The Marvel Comics Muppet comics of the early 80's were adequate for the time I suppose, but it's been a long time since we got any newer artistic interpretations.
Granted, Langridge's art at first reminds me of the kind of art you'd see in a kid's meal booklet/placemat art at Denny's, but I think it has its charm.

And yeah, the Gonzo is pretty...weird. :smile:
You already know of my admiration for Vasquez and all things Zim. I wish they’d stick that show on Cartoon Network along side Venture Brothers and other fare that could support such a strange non-linear program, but the nail's in the coffin on that one.

While I understand what Langridge is trying to do (and succeeding with much of it) there appears to be an aversion to -any- research on the likeness of characters like Gonzo. There's an interesting little early piece Langridge did before landing the Muppets that features Bunsen and Beaker. These are not the Muppet Labs duo designs intended for the comics, but I liken this past interpretation of Beaker to his current version of Gonzo. Beaker's not fat and his cute stripey socks aren't visible. It's interesting and recognizable, but just less fun than the actual likeness of the character. It also doesn't match the caliber of amazing work on the rest of his site. I have enjoyed exploring it. Much of Langridge's work is an undiscovered treat for this frogboy.

I too would like a 3 inch non-articulated Muppet figure set. Texture doesn't even matter to me as much as fluid poses and likeness. These would be so much cheaper to produce, but I'd want to see them done right.

beaker

Reaction score
You already know of my admiration for Vasquez and all things Zim. I wish they’d stick that show on Cartoon Network along side Venture Brothers and other fare that could support such a strange non-linear program, but the nail's in the coffin on that one.

While I understand what Langridge is trying to do (and succeeding with much of it) there appears to be an aversion to -any- research on the likeness of characters like Gonzo. There's an interesting little early piece Langridge did before landing the Muppets that features Bunsen and Beaker. These are not the Muppet Labs duo designs intended for the comics, but I liken this past interpretation of Beaker to his current version of Gonzo. Beaker's not fat and his cute stripey socks aren't visible. It's interesting and recognizable, but just less fun than the actual likeness of the character. It also doesn't match the caliber of amazing work on the rest of his site. I have enjoyed exploring it. Much of Langridge's work is an undiscovered treat for this frogboy.

I too would like a 3 inch non-articulated Muppet figure set. Texture doesn't even matter to me as much as fluid poses and likeness. These would be so much cheaper to produce, but I'd want to see them done right.
Wow, thats suppose to be Beaker? eep. Ok, I see your point about Gonzo. Well I like the Bunsen...and I like the style of Beaker if it was a different character, but that definitely doesnt *look* like Beaker.

Im just happy we're getting actual Muppet comic books.

Those Muppet Star Wars figures, if only those were articulated, and a hair bigger, that's precisely the kind of style and figure I wish they'd go wild on Muppet wise. Go "Power of the Force" Kenner/Hasbro style, and make every character imaginable from 1955 to 2008.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats suppose to be Beaker? eep. Ok, I see your point about Gonzo. Well I like the Bunsen...and I like the style of Beaker if it was a different character, but that definitely doesnt *look* like Beaker.

Im just happy we're getting actual Muppet comic books.

Those Muppet Star Wars figures, if only those were articulated, and a hair bigger, that's precisely the kind of style and figure I wish they'd go wild on Muppet wise. Go "Power of the Force" Kenner/Hasbro style, and make every character imaginable from 1955 to 2008.
The Star Wars figures are actually pretty big. They only seem small. Piggy Leia is 4.5 inches tall from ears to feet.

It seems that many of my posts here and there around the web are being frowned upon by longtime Langridge fans. I think that many of them see the Muppets as pure passé kitsch ripe for any artist's whim. However, Mr. Langridge does appear to be respectful of these characters being more of a casual fan (than the rest of us here) learning on the job. He does his thing and waits for approval. I hope he gets it for 90% of what been shown so far. I really am eating up the other items on his site. He is a fantastic artist. I also like what he did with Spongebob. But, that is where I am more of a casual fan.

beaker

Reaction score
The Star Wars figures are actually pretty big. They only seem small. Piggy Leia is 4.5 inches tall from ears to feet.

It seems that many of my posts here and there around the web are being frowned upon by longtime Langridge fans. I think that many of them see the Muppets as pure passé kitsch ripe for any artist's whim. However, Mr. Langridge does appear to be respectful of these characters being more of a casual fan (than the rest of us here) learning on the job. He does his thing and waits for approval. I hope he gets it for 90% of what been shown so far. I really am eating up the other items on his site. He is a fantastic artist. I also like what he did with Spongebob. But, that is where I am more of a casual fan.
Sadly that does seem to be a big prevailing view of folks. "Oh, the Muppets...how kitch. I love the two old guys! And that one guy, what's his name, Fonzie?" ...or worse. "Oh yeah, I remember that baby stuff".
I think it's good the folks helming all these new projects, from the Muppet and Fraggle film to the Muppet comic series are genuine fans and arent merely handed another assignment(as was the case in the 80's and 90's with some franchises)

I always liked offbeat American cartoonist stuff, like Robert Crumb and the like. So his style works well with me. I can see why the Gonzo seems a way off to you.

To be fair, I have my own strange renditions of the Muppet characters and style:
http://b6.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00211/65/99/211589956_l.jpg

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Here's a fix (on the right) that uses Langridge's drawing and style with more of the Muppety shape that makes Gonzo - Gonzo.

I went over to the Langridge blog where many of the responders likely wouldn't know a Gonzo from a Grover. They seem astounded by the negative feedback thus far. Maybe they think that Muppet fans are warmer and fuzzier than DC, Marvel or Star Wars fans. I think there's a feeling out there that we're supposed to expect less or take what we can get. I have faith that the artist can do the Muppets justice even if he isn't my first choice for their comic artist. With some tweaks in his Gonzo design he could possibly grow on me.

Nice fix Jammie! As MUSH as Im loving these (and plan on buying the Muppet comics..) I like your Gonzo fix. you even put on his yellow eye lids and the nose is MUCH better...the other reminds me of a valture lookin gonzo! :stick_out_tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.