Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Here's a fix (on the right) that uses Langridge's drawing and style with more of the Muppety shape that makes Gonzo - Gonzo.

I went over to the Langridge blog where many of the responders likely wouldn't know a Gonzo from a Grover. They seem astounded by the negative feedback thus far. Maybe they think that Muppet fans are warmer and fuzzier than DC, Marvel or Star Wars fans. I think there's a feeling out there that we're supposed to expect less or take what we can get. I have faith that the artist can do the Muppets justice even if he isn't my first choice for their comic artist. With some tweaks in his Gonzo design he could possibly grow on me.
Yes Jamie yours looks alot like what i would see Gonzo as other then Langridge's but maybe he'll see yours and give it ago with what were capable seeing. And with the colord version they all look a lot better then the black and while pencil version.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think that revision maintains the artists unique style as well as much of Gonzo's. My initial reaction to the artist was prickly, but I do like his stuff. I don't think he should replace his Gonzo for my revision, but I do hope he takes into account the visual elements that make Gonzo - Gonzo and incorporates them into a new design. :concern:

Gonzo is such a beautiful puppet and much of that does translate into graphic imagery - sometimes even better than his Muppet counterparts.

Super Scooter

Reaction score

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
He he. I guess that might be a cameo from another Langridge cartoon. I posted a long-winded (a bad habit of mine) reply to some of the criticism of concerned Muppet fans over on his blog. It really communicates my personal feelings and hopes for this comic book to longtime Langridge fans. Some of these people seem to think the Muppets were never that big of a property and fell of the edge of the earth long ago. I don't blame them for that. It's the PR problem we've known about for years that is finally being resolved by Disney.

There was much initial shock at this artwork. His Gonzo just bothers me so much. It should. Some of his other translations are actually pretty cool. The rest of his site is too. He's even got a grasp on the character of Gonzo (along with the rest of them) but it isn't visually reflected in some of the designs. I'm glad this isn't stock art - I've seen a lot of that and most Gonzo stock art is terrible. I guess we'll have to see.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You have to admit, though.. the Pigs in Space thing looks wonderful. I like the Wall Eyed looking Beaker myself. Other than Gonzo, the only real problem I have is that Kermit's top part of his head is disproportionately bigger than his bottom lip, but that's about it. I really can't wait for this. I haven't paid much stock in Comic books (outside of Asterix, Lucky Luke, Ultimate Muscle and One Piece) for quite some time.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You have to admit, though.. the Pigs in Space thing looks wonderful. I like the Wall Eyed looking Beaker myself. Other than Gonzo, the only real problem I have is that Kermit's top part of his head is disproportionately bigger than his bottom lip, but that's about it. I really can't wait for this. I haven't paid much stock in Comic books (outside of Asterix, Lucky Luke, Ultimate Muscle and One Piece) for quite some time.
I'm not a big fan of his Beaker yet, but his backdrops and Pigs and Space stuff are excellent. The Muppet facial elements are all about simplicity and that can be translated into comic form. I guess some of these designs get into the most trouble when those elements are over-complicated with extra bits that are not need. This artist does come out with some handsome comics. I hope this will be among them. Little of the art we've seen will actually be in the issues.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I'm just bumping this thread so it doesn't fall off the page before the first issue comes out!

:stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
His PIS work is awesome. I would love to see a whole book about that.

BlakeMP

Reaction score
Longtime comic book nerd that I am, I'm pretty psyched for this one. I like the artwork I've seen so far, and the writer seems to have the right sensibility about the project.

I'm especially happy that this (as well as the Pixar comics) are going to be $2.99 instead of Boom!'s usual $3.99. That's my cut-off point for regular-sized comics these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.