Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlakeMP

Reaction score
Marvel makes better movies with their characters, but DC is more fair to the marketplace. I'm thankful they haven't lost their mind on comic book pricing.
Marvel does have a big advantage there, though -- they can take the reigns and make the movies on their own. DC, unfortunately, is owned by Time Warner, so their properties are at the mercy of the parent company. But at least The Dark Knight rocked the house.

I heard that at one industry meeting one comic book store owner suggested that prices on comics go back down, and the rest of the comic book owners began yelling, "No! No!" His suggestion was that if they were less costly, folks could afford to buy more titles. I agree with that.
So do I -- and so does a good friend of mine who also happens to own a store. :sigh: Those were the days...

JJandJanice

Reaction score
So do I -- and so does a good friend of mine who also happens to own a store. :sigh: Those were the days...
Yeah, I remember thoes days, man comic books stores are going more and more out, it's sad really, :cry:.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Memphis only has 2 comic book stores, and I feel blessed as some folks don't even have one in a nearby city to attend. Our comic book stores are really well run, and the folks that work there are superb.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I just called my favorite LA comic store "Meltdown Comics" on Sunset and they said they will definitely have it but BOOM isn't even sure about the release date for The Muppet Show yet...

BlakeMP

Reaction score
Memphis only has 2 comic book stores, and I feel blessed as some folks don't even have one in a nearby city to attend. Our comic book stores are really well run, and the folks that work there are superb.
I live near New Orleans -- after Katrina, EVERY shop shut down. It was months before any of them reopened, and for a long time we were afraid none of them would. Most of them didn't. I've really only got two options, although there are a couple of others within driving distance if I feel like a road trip.

unclematt

Reaction score
I live in a Chicago suburb and I really only have 1 comic book shop

BlakeMP

Reaction score
Really? I was listening to the Around Comics podcast a few days ago and they were talking about how many comic shops they have in Chicago... then again, that's probably in the city itself, not in the suburbs.

beaker

Reaction score
They're both flirting with it. Marvel has already bumped some of their higher-selling titles (and, as a result, those titles are no longer in my pull folder at the local comic shop). DC, to their credit, has at least given us more story pages whenever they've bumped the price... so far.
Do people still buy comics? I mean I know comic book based films are now the TOP grossing movies of any given year, grossing billions domestically and worldwide...but it just seems like *actual* comic readers seem pretty underground.

I'm a regular at my local comic shops, but I really can't remember the last time I *actually* bought a comic book.

1988-1998, I was like the biggest comic nerd. Didn't matter what it was. DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, ect. Even up until 2003 I was still buying comics, including indie press stuff. It just seemed like the art got stunted in this perpectual 90's style. (at least 90% of comics arent trying to ape faux manga, like in 2002)

I'd love to see a true comic book revival, and hope we always have actual print comics. I hope these new Muppet comics can get a wider release, available at say; grocery stores, major book retail chains, ect.

beaker

Reaction score
Marvel does have a big advantage there, though -- they can take the reigns and make the movies on their own. DC, unfortunately, is owned by Time Warner, so their properties are at the mercy of the parent company. But at least The Dark Knight rocked the house.
Yeah but sadly Warner Bros/DC's main tentpole this year(Watchmen) is being threatened by Fox(who is releasing Marvel's Xmen Orgins Wolverine this summer)

Personally, I've always always found DC's stories a thousand times more captivating than Marvel's(I mean, late 80's thru 90's Batman for instance) though Marvel always had more creative characters(both heroes and villains) DC characters were to me more complex, though not as inventive to me. LOVE the look of Iron Man, for instance. Or Doc Oc. But I mean Batman, Joker, Green Arrow, ect always had more subtext and depth of character/storytelling to me.

BlakeMP

Reaction score
Do people still buy comics? I mean I know comic book based films are now the TOP grossing movies of any given year, grossing billions domestically and worldwide...but it just seems like *actual* comic readers seem pretty underground.

I'm a regular at my local comic shops, but I really can't remember the last time I *actually* bought a comic book.

1988-1998, I was like the biggest comic nerd. Didn't matter what it was. DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, ect. Even up until 2003 I was still buying comics, including indie press stuff. It just seemed like the art got stunted in this perpectual 90's style. (at least 90% of comics arent trying to ape faux manga, like in 2002)

I'd love to see a true comic book revival, and hope we always have actual print comics. I hope these new Muppet comics can get a wider release, available at say; grocery stores, major book retail chains, ect.
Comic sales have actually been on the rise in the last 10 or so years, after the industry began to recover from the near-implosion of the 90s speculator market. It still hasn't risen to 80s numbers, or even early 90s, but it's growing.

Or at least it WAS... this pricing stunt could be the capper.

Status
Not open for further replies.