Disney just shot up in awesome points

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
I've not been the biggest Disney fan per se, but my goodness, they just shot up a zillion points with me regarding a new video by them. In the wake of North Carolina's vote to ban gay rights and the uproar over Obama supporting gay marriage, the biggest brand name on the planet has decided to release a video where employees talk about the trauma and abuse of growing up gay.

BUT, it really can apply to ANYONE who has been bullied, has kids or knows someone, etc who has been bullied for being different or for whatever reason.

Disney "It Gets Better"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Good for them, sort of takes me back to the old days when the Disney Channel stood for something. :smile:

As for Obama, he wants votes. Period. I don't look to politicians of either party for truth. :wink:

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
As for Obama, he wants votes. Period. I don't look to politicians of either party for truth. :wink:
Agreed. Why else would he do it at a time like this? He claims this is not political but then soon afterwards begins putting out campaign ads attacking Romney on this same subject. He claims this isn't for profit, but begins selling LGBT merch on his site soon after.

I really don't mind the message of "It Gets Better." Despite my stance that homosexuality is a sin, I do believe everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, religion, race, or gender, should be treated like a person and not be bullied or harrassed. What I do have a problem with is Dan Savage, the founder of the movement, because despite his "anti-bullying" stance, he will bully and harass Christian teens. Gimme a break.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why else would he do it at a time like this?
Because Biden unwittingly put him on the spot, therefore, he had to react, one way or another.

But as far as this goes, I remember when David Ogden Stiers came out a few years ago, he talked about how it was relatively easy for him to be more like himself (his true self) when voicing animated characters, since a number of character (like Cogsworth for example) tend to have a few hidden flamboyant tendencies themselves; plus he also said that Disney was, for the most part, a relatively gay-friendly company to work with; like so many others however, he stayed quiet about it up until recently because he was afraid his sexuality would damage his career.

Funnily enough, when he did come out, a lot of people were like, "Gee, I thought it was Jamie Farr who was gay, not him!" :laugh:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Disney & Obama
I agree with Disney's ongoing stance and this new video! There's also an older Pixar one. Disney doesn't have much to gain from this except the moral ground of being equally tolerant. Actually, Obama doesn't either. His personal views, that he's said were "evolving," have finally changed but his policy hasn't! He still believes marriage equality should be left up to the states so all he did was wag his finger at the voters of NC. I'm not necessarily complaining because his personal denouncement of this prejudice is a big development that likely won't help his standing with undecided voters. I like Obama and he'll get my vote again. However, I fear anyone who'd agree with any politician over 70% of the time because I don't know a single person I agree with that much. LOL!

Ideology vs Rights
I don't agree with how many of my neighbors run their marriages, their lives or their families and I'm content with the fact that it's none of my business. There's a force in this country, spearheaded by a Christian ideology, that disagrees with that. They have bullied me and my gay peers on this issue. What gives America's Christians the right to dictate my values and what kind of family I'm allowed to have? I don't think it's my right to tell them how to raise their families. For every historian that will tell you we're clearly a Christian nation, there's one that will say the opposite and that everybody's rights are protected. That debate is futile. It comes down to fairness.

Dan Savage
Dan Savage is a problematic figure to me. He mostly does a lot of good. There's a lot he's said that I take issue with too. His recent barbs toward Christianity that took things to a personal level were not right. America's self-professed Christians have always held a majority in this country and non-Christians often feel bullied by them so some of us fire back. This can be done in a thoughtful way or it can be done in a way that could be seen as reverse-bulling. Basically, bullying the bully. It's still not right. Savage apologized for one of his recent incidents, but another one is bound to happen again in this religiously-charged environment. There's an unjust atmosphere that says that I may not have to be a Christian, but I must live by some of its ideology.

Room For Everybody
What is fair? Disagreeing with my being gay is fine! I'm not going out of my way to convert anyone's personal belief. However, when those beliefs dictate my rights I will stand up just as any Christian should stand up against anyone who would act to remove their right to worship because neither action would be fair. I also believe public schools should include and explore everybody in their curriculum and embrace student-run groups of every type without endorsing them whether they be gay, Christian or left-handed. There's room for all of us. We can disagree while maintaining personal rights. Well, I hope we will get there soon.

Muppet Family Values
I suppose my values come from the Muppets because they always had room for everybody. That evidently extends to cast and crew too! That brings up the troubling question of what state would allow the marriage between a frog and a pig. Differences make us more colorful. None of the colors should want to dull another's shine. That's why I've always seen the gay flag as the flag for everybody!

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Jamie,

I just want to let you know that not all Christians are what you may think. If Christians actually acted like Christ and got off their high and mighty pedestal, we wouldn't have so many problems. Sadly, that is not the case. But there are people out there who are nonjudgemental and do love everyone. So, please don't paint Christianity with a broad brush.

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out my view in this issue. I do believe homosexuality is a sin and I don't believe in gay marriage. Mainly, because I feel that the definition of "marriage" is set in stone for one man, one woman. Gay civil unions I can say I'm fine with because it's not a marriage. But, I'm still even questioning whether the government should have a role in marriages and otherwise. So, really, I'm kind of neutral on this whole issue.

Now, we can argue all day long on this issue but neither of us will change so it's important for us to agree to disagree and move on. Trust me, when I say that I love all people and try not to be judgemental.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Alls I know is even though I'm not a fan of hers, I think Miley Cyrus shed some much-needed light on the issue when she said (uber-Conservative) Christians need to re-read the Bible where it says not to be judgemental of other people... and that's exactly what a lot of these uber-Conservative Christians do, they bash gays for simply being gay... heck, they treat gays worse for just being themselves than they do straight people who cheat on their spouses and sleep around with other people, or even murders who killed innocent people for no reason whatsoever.

This is why I believe so many people are turning away from Christ in our times, because a lot of Christians actually paint a poor picture of themselves with their hypocritical actions, it puts people in the mindframe of, "Gee, if loving Christ means I have to hate this group of people for who they are, then I want no part of any of this"... I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that's how Anne Hathaway came to renounce Christianity because she has a gay brother.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Jamie,

I just want to let you know that not all Christians are what you may think. If Christians actually acted like Christ and got off their high and mighty pedestal, we wouldn't have so many problems. Sadly, that is not the case. But there are people out there who are nonjudgemental and do love everyone. So, please don't paint Christianity with a broad brush.

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out my view in this issue. I do believe homosexuality is a sin and I don't believe in gay marriage. Mainly, because I feel that the definition of "marriage" is set in stone for one man, one woman. Gay civil unions I can say I'm fine with because it's not a marriage. But, I'm still even questioning whether the government should have a role in marriages and otherwise. So, really, I'm kind of neutral on this whole issue.

Now, we can argue all day long on this issue but neither of us will change so it's important for us to agree to disagree and move on. Trust me, when I say that I love all people and try not to be judgemental.
Aw, thanks. I really do take that to heart. I don't even believe it's a Christian issue. I think people, Christians included, are used as pawns to further a political agenda.

For me it comes down to remembering when I was a kid. There were arbitrary limits and standards imposed upon my life. This limited how far I'd allow myself to dream and plan for my life. I didn't agree with them, yet I adjusted my expectations accordingly. Many of these limits are still there and family is one of them. It's sad. I really is. I don't really know what I could have wanted for my life back then because there were so many preexisting impositions.

It is my hope that the next generation will only be limited by how big they dream and how much practical effort they put behind those dreams.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
Disney has always been a quietly tolerant employer. They have consistently ranked high in all surveys regarding fairness to employees, of whatever type. Good for them.

As to the "definition of marriage" -- folks, that's a myth of modern culture. HUNDREDS of early marriages, IN the new-formed "Christian" church, were between two men or two women! Yeshua himself said absolutely nothing on the subject...and blessed the Roman soldier who wanted his "servant" healed. A little research into the standards of the time and culture imply the "servant" was more akin to companion, even lover...and this guy wasn't condemned for it by the man whom a whole religion claims to follow. The whole concept of "One man one woman" is historically VERY recent, and NOT "Biblically based".

Eh...I don't mean to hijack the thread into a study of certain verses which were ONLY SUPPOSED TO APPLY TO THE PRIESTS OF THE TEMPLE millennia back...but yeah. Glad the majority believe in tolerance, whatever their personal dislikes.

And I agree with the stance that bullying is NEVER okay. The best response to closed minds is to turn away...and kick the dust off your sandals as you go. :wink:
----------------

Status
Not open for further replies.