Disney Store Muppet Merchandise Released

Drtooth

Reaction score
it would be cool for swedsh chef dr bunsen honey dew statler waldorf bobo electric mayhem (not including animal) miss poogy and 80s robot
There NEEDS to be a Chef at some point. If they make a Beaker, they sure as heck can make a Chef. Make a Chef, you will sell them out guaranteed.

Bellygrub

Reaction score
There NEEDS to be a Chef at some point. If they make a Beaker, they sure as heck can make a Chef. Make a Chef, you will sell them out guaranteed.
They've been selling a Chef in the parks for years now. Especially around the time of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. He pops up at stands in every country there. I don't think it would be to much for Disney to just retag him and put him out with the other film plushes.

Like most Disney properties, if the film does well I expect stores to be flooded with mechandise around the time of the DVD release.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, I have to say, they made background animals from the Circle of Life number as large, unsellable plush. I don't care how popular Lion King is... no one wants characters that didn't have a line. Scar, Mufasa, both age variants of Simba and Nala, Timon, Pumbaa, the hyenas, Zazu, even Simbas Mom... heck, even the wildebeests. But who wants a generic Zebra?\

Muppets however, you'd have to go all the way in the back and reach for an obscure one for it to sell like a lead balloon. I'm sure fans would clamor for a Crazy Harry, a Newsman, or even Lew Zealand plush. The fact we don't have Rowlf or Chef yet is disappointing, though again... who would ever think we'd have a plush of Pepe? Something the fanbase was screaming for the past 10 years. The initial notes of commitment are there, but it seems this will all depend on the movie's success, if not the success of the Muppet toys. And they are moving.

I hope this IS one of those times they grossly underestimate these things and wait until the DVD comes out, like they did with Bolt.

beaker

Reaction score
Again, I have to say, they made background animals from the Circle of Life number as large, unsellable plush. I don't care how popular Lion King is... no one wants characters that didn't have a line. Scar, Mufasa, both age variants of Simba and Nala, Timon, Pumbaa, the hyenas, Zazu, even Simbas Mom... heck, even the wildebeests. But who wants a generic Zebra?\

Muppets however, you'd have to go all the way in the back and reach for an obscure one for it to sell like a lead balloon. I'm sure fans would clamor for a Crazy Harry, a Newsman, or even Lew Zealand plush. The fact we don't have Rowlf or Chef yet is disappointing, though again... who would ever think we'd have a plush of Pepe? Something the fanbase was screaming for the past 10 years. The initial notes of commitment are there, but it seems this will all depend on the movie's success, if not the success of the Muppet toys. And they are moving.

I hope this IS one of those times they grossly underestimate these things and wait until the DVD comes out, like they did with Bolt.
Well Jamie successfully predicted we'd see a last minute massive over saturation marketing push by Disney on and offline. And I know several others besides me realistically predicted Disney would sadly not have much merchandise. Shoot, we've had more Muppet merchandise during the times when there was literally nothing to be excited about in the Muppet world(in the early to mid 2000's before they got bought by Disney)

There just doesn't seem to be much indications that more than a couple plushes and shirts are the gameplan. In fact so sparce is the "merch", that some fans like myself are chlamoring just to get one of the kids books. And heck, I think theres just the two easy readers(tho, beautifully illustrated!) and the sticker book

I just find it heavily depressing, as we could see Disney dropping the ball a mile away. The Muppets should have bountiful merch displayed in the center of the store right when you walk in. Not a few things tucked away in the back like some
embarrassing afterthought.At least what little Up stuff there was was featured when you walk in.

But whats just as bad is there's no muppet stuff in stores in general, cept the toys r us headphones and the usual cheap shirts at target.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But whats just as bad is there's no muppet stuff in stores in general, cept the toys r us headphones and the usual cheap shirts at target.
Because they're not movies based off comics based off toylines based off movies. Does that stuff really sell? Seems they keep ordering it and it sits there through phony price increase to phony price increase. Even the video game stuff moves better at Target. That Sonic Generations stuff flies off the shelves.

I love Toy Story and all, but it's a shame a 7 minute cartoon gets a PVC set and a 90 minute movie doesn't.

robodog

Reaction score
I think the Transformers stuff sells but at least in my area most of the toys based on superhero movies warm shelves. I'm pretty sure muppet stuff would do better.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well Jamie successfully predicted we'd see a last minute massive over saturation marketing push by Disney on and offline. And I know several others besides me realistically predicted Disney would sadly not have much merchandise. Shoot, we've had more Muppet merchandise during the times when there was literally nothing to be excited about in the Muppet world(in the early to mid 2000's before they got bought by Disney)

There just doesn't seem to be much indications that more than a couple plushes and shirts are the gameplan. In fact so sparce is the "merch", that some fans like myself are chlamoring just to get one of the kids books. And heck, I think theres just the two easy readers(tho, beautifully illustrated!) and the sticker book

I just find it heavily depressing, as we could see Disney dropping the ball a mile away. The Muppets should have bountiful merch displayed in the center of the store right when you walk in. Not a few things tucked away in the back like some
embarrassing afterthought.At least what little Up stuff there was was featured when you walk in.

I still don't see what the big concern is. My guess is what you really think this push lacks is figures and I'll agree with that. More stuff will come. We don't need to have everything right now. And I'm sure there will be lots of tie-ins when the DVD comes out. You're talking like this is just one shot to get Muppet stuff out there.Disney is building a steady foundation for these characters to be around for a long time. I like that as opposed to product over-saturation or a disposable marketing trend. That hasn't worked for the Muppets in the past.

Disney has put a lot of money, faith and some savvy marketing behind what looks to be a good film. The only other factor is whether people will show up for "The Muppets". If that happens in big enough numbers then Disney will respond with much more merchandise for years to come.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I meet the concern halfway.

Other than the lack of a PVC set, deluxe or otherwise, I think what we're seeing is what I expected. But on the other hand, it should be a little more. Not a whole lot more, not a huge lot more, but just a little more. And not having it shoved in the back of the store would be nice. I know they have Cars to sell, but they should definitely have put them in the middle of the store. And a poster in the window about the Muppet Movie wouldn't hurt.

My concern is that the movie needs to do pretty well. I honestly think it can do well, I think it should do well... and I feel that quality wise it should do better than a pointless sequel to a terrible animated movie and an even more pointless ripoff of Disney's Prep and Landing (prove me wrong. Tell me it's NOT a complete ripoff of the plot). But in case it doesn't, we could very well just see this stuff and that's it. I have confidence it will do well, but I don't want it to be an overconfidence that becomes a crushing blow if we're proven wrong. The fact of the matter, the movie does good, we see more stuff... if it doesn't that's all we get. it's a gamble either way if they release everything at once or not.

I don't see why some more general retail plush toys or cheap Christmas Ornaments at Target/WalMart/Kmart/TRU would be overexposure, though. A couple coloring books would have been nice... and above all, the ball was TOTALLY dropped by not giving the movies a rerelease with either Muppet BTS footage or a free movie ticket or something (like every other movie and franchise manages to do)... other than some ugly singing Christmas plush, you don't see that much outside the Disney Store. And when I went to TRU and saw a huge display of Crappy Feet, I felt like throwing up.