1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Disney Store Muppet Merchandise Released

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by ElecMayhem, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I am nothing but glad we're not getting a re-imagined Yellow Submarine. Even if they got the 2 surviving Beatles to do voice work. There is no way they can improve on that film. It's one of the greatest animated movies of all time. Why soil it with stiff motion capture that's not half as good or fluid as TinTin was. Why soil it by having to do it again, anyway? Passing on it was a work of genius. That would have only ticked people off. We'd get a shirt and a rereleased DVD of it, sure... but at what cost?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMovers_Digital

Well, the company didn't exactly fold... it's still out there and making a deal with Universal, but Disney dropped them like a hot potato after that one. Unfortunately the prior film, A Christmas Carol did well for some reason. But I blame the release of that in November for Princess and the Frog's lousy December opposite The Chipmunks slot.

Yes. There's a large Kermit and a large Animal too. I just hope for bean bags. I wish I could still collect them. I don't even have Dug from up yet. Did get Dr. Doof though. Shame they put him on clearance so fast and that Agent P disappeared quickly.
  2. Carl23 Member

Those big plushes are "GIANT" sized, unless they've released new ones. And i'm actually going to have to side with you on the Yellow Submarine issue. It's disappointing that The Beatles arn't going to be in theaters, but I would MUCH prefer a re-release of the current film than a re-make. I love that movie. But the Beatles themselves didn't do the vocal work, just for the actual music and the Cameo at the end.

I can't see them passing up Bean Bags. They'll be great too, it'll be intersting to see if they'll manage to do a wider range of characters in the smaller set. Everyones saying it, but it's so so true. Rowlf, Scooter, Swedish Chef, Bunsen, Statler and Waldorf, maybe more of the Electric Mayhem. They'd be swimming in money.
  3. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I know they didn't. That's why I said that one. Even if they managed to get the 2 surviving Beatles to voice themselves, what didn't happen with the original movie, it still wouldn't be worth it. It would be as bad or worse than that Bee Gees Sargent Pepper movie. The original Yellow Submarine DEMANDS a home video rerelease... especially to Blu-Ray.

If they can make bean bags of every single one of Lotso's minions and Bonny's toys (minus, of course, Totoro) they can make a Rowlf Bean Bag. If they made Peas in a Pod, they can make a Scooter.
  4. beaker Well-Known Member

I took a picture of my local 99 cent store...massive wall of James Cameron Avatar and Terminator Salvation figures...I think kids were more interested in the hazardous toxic
    mexican power ranger and wrestling figure bootleg toys.

What idiot parent would pay $10 for a super dinky piece of dookie "figure" like Avatar, Tron Legacy, etc? Or even the DC/Marvel figures. When did figures get so fragile yet so expensive? Hello? It's called good will and thrift stores!
  5. beaker Well-Known Member

Well to me, when it comes to insanely mismanaged Disney wise, it's been the utter lack of Muppet movie merch. People point to random wallmart Muppet branded hair ties, rubber bands, baseball caps and snuggies and say "omg, there's tons of merch, what are you talking about?" But other than Walter and a few other large size plush at Disney Store, there's been absolutely nothing in the way of Muppet movie merch in stores. I'm not surprised, but disappointed. Two of the Disney stores near me dont even have the Muppet section anymore, just a couple cubby holes way in the back noone can see. Disney has this weird mindset where they will spend millions to promote the movie
    on every single internet site, tv show, etc....but merchandise wise, pretend like it doesn't exist or feel embarrassed about it.

The Disney parks tho, I hear are getting some amazing Muppet merchandise as I type
  6. Carl23 Member

I agree with you on the lack of merch. Not surprising, but very very disappointing. They put Appearances across tons of networks, they did multiple online videos to promote it, and tons of other things, but they can only do a set of plush in an exclusive store and a few clothing items? The Terminator Salvation toys hit my dollar tree, and went pretty fast. At first, the TRON Line also did pretty well, but it is a VERY niche market. There were a few kids that were into it, but it's not a very mainstream franchise. It's just really confusing that they'd take an admitably small fanbase and aim tons of product at them, but then take a "proven" franchise with a huge wide audience and put very little effort.

The good thing, is that i'm starting to see TONS of what few Muppet merch we did get around all over the place. I've seen countless Kermit hats, and several shirts on people in the last couple days. But they really need to pick it up, They would get so much just from selling the Park's merch in Mall stores, and it would be VERY possible for them to do it.
  7. DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Now there is a thought...there obviously is a demand for it and it would be hard to design and rush production on new merchandise. Maybe we can get some of that nice merchandise from the parks in the disney stores.
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I swear they claim oil problems for these things. Every time there's a buzz of oil prices going up, stores sharply raise the prices on the stock they already have in stores. I've seen it happen TOO many times in the past 5 years when things were starting to go south. TMNT movie figures sat on the shelves through 3 price increases, and everyone winds up buying them at bargain stores anyway. And to make up for losing money lost by raising prices... they raise prices AGAIN! I've seen Sonic figures almost double in price since they first appeared on store shelves. I also love how TRU has shockingly high prices, makes backroom deals with toy companies for exclusive rights, and charges whatever it wants because it's the only game in town, now.

And of course, our currency value is crap... and China's actually starting to charge high prices for manufacturing. Add to the expensive shipping overseas, it's amazing they don't just do stuff here and charge the same.

Kids don't even buy toys anymore. Toy Collectors don't even buy toys anymore. Everything's all virtual crap on iPhones or something. No wonder why the skittish toy manufactures ignored the Muppets.
  9. beaker Well-Known Member

The toy market can completely collapse for all I care. For the longest time American toys have not been able to compete with some of the more amazing vinyl(tho higher priced) and some of the Japanese imports. Toys just make me sick now days. I hate seeing all the stupid DC/Marvel, Wrestling/MMA, latest Pokemon ripoff, Power Ranger, and yeah even by now I hate to say it...Star Wars toys.

Oh speaking of TRU, its funny they now charge $15 for the Super Mario vinyl(the same figures they rerelease every year since 2006) whereas Target has em for $8.

Youre probably like me...you like to check out toy aisles now and then just for the nostalgia, to keep it alive from when you were a kid, but may not necessarily have it in your budget to buy. Its not that I cant afford toys...if I see something I want I rarely hesitate. It's just the prices. They want $12 now for each 3.5" Sonic Riders figure, like Storm the Albatross...I mean what the heck? I'd maayyybe pay that for a 5 or 6" figure, grudgingly. Surprised more fans arent upset.

Btw, how come 99.9% of toys since the 80's that dont get sold (peg warmers) get sent back to the factory to be destroyed? Why dont they just send them to dollar or discount(big lots) toy stores? Theres thousands of figures since the early 80's I never got to buy, that should have had a second shelf life in discount retailers. Like how magazines get sent back and shredded after 30 days. Its like, why not just DONATE them to libraries or elsewhere?

Oh yeah, magazines. Now days video game magazines a slim, but cost about $10. What the heck? Least the UK magazines are coffee table books and have way better game coverage and layouts. No wonder people are fedup.

Ive stopped legitimately buying dvds, as theyve just become way too much of a ripoff and a slap in the face given none even have extras anymore
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Everyone wants to be cheap, raise prices, cut corners and then sit back and whine about how they're not making money off everything, and they wind up passing that onto something that doesn't deserve that scorn. DVD's with no features that cost as much as the DVD's that had hours of footage (no money saved there), toys with huge, wasteful stunt packaging that don't even come with so much as a sword or a stand... I mean, can you blame Disney for not blanketing the market with meh stuff that would sit on shelves until a quick clearance of a whole buck off?

I could go on a rant about TRU's price fixing and backdoor sweetheart deals, and how they're the only game in town now, so they can do whatever the heck they want, no problem. But there's nothing remotely interesting at Target/Wal*Mart/mainstream stores like that anymore...just movie tie ins that cost more than they should. Some of the stuff sits there forever... does anyone even buy anything anymore?

But magazines are HURTING! As it stands, Shonen Jump is going to be an all online pay service. It can't be helped that their prices are shockingly high... half of the book stores that sell them don't exist anymore, everyone gets the same info off of dull looking blogs and message boards...the internet is KILLING everything, and only offering Annoying Orange (like that's a trade off)... obselecense is killing choice and the physical stores... and that's going to be a ripple effect that kills merchandising tie ins. A lot of the video stores made most of their money up by impulse buys of t-Shirts and bobbleheads.
  11. KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

This thread keeps popping up in the "what's new" category, but sadly, nothing new about Muppet stuff in Disney Stores! News, anyone? :confused:
  12. Carl23 Member

Everything is pretty much dead on. I used to collect Marvel figures, but I can't do that anymore, because since Hasbro manged to get the licence scale went from 6/7" to 3.25", the quality went way down, and the price went way up. The only options are cheap overpriced small figures, or pricey high quality figures. And again, Dr you are dead on. "Rise in Oil costs" is their canned excuse, and they'll throw it at anything. Price of oil raises 10% and price of the final product goes up 60% compared to older offerings. Hasbro cites that as the reason the scales on all lines are 3" now when they used to be 6", but it's no secret that they love doing small scale stuff.

I really don't want to keep reiterating, but you guys have really hit the nail on the head here. It's terrible that the majority would rather poke around on their gadgets than physical items, mostly that the mass markets have begun to lean further and further to that side. Video rental stores are dying, game stores, Books, magazines, among many many others being replaced by non-physical counterparts. It's really pretty rediculous, especially the things like eBooks costing the same amout as their print counterparts, DVDs not having special features anymore becasue "the pirates are going to steal the movies anyway", everything that becomes "famous" on the internet getting tons of sell-out merchandising, Anything angry birds in general. I really don't get that (unless you are on an airplane or similar) you would rather stare at a flat piece of glass and pretend to turn pages then to just get an actual book. Kids asking for ipod apps for christmas is really the icing on the aweful cake that is this current marketplace.

It's all about making profit on the smallest amout effort anymore, rather than working hard and producing high quality product. Why does anyone want an iPad instead of one of the other Tablet computer? Because the system says you're not cool unless it's an Apple. It's not about impressing potential customers with quality offering, it's about making your product "The thing to have" without anyone really knowing why.
  13. Carl23 Member

Also true, kermie. Although there's some accurate commentary, it's kinda getting a bit off topic in here.

For anyone interested, in the Twice Upon A Year Sale, the 9" Gonzo vinylmation set is $59.96 right now. Also notable, Kermit, Piggy, Beaker, Pepe and Rizzo are all Sold Out.
  14. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Maybe we should make a separate post about conversations about the merch. :laugh:
  15. Drtooth Well-Known Member

The only correction I'd make is that DVD's don't have special features because they're shoving them as Blu Ray exclusives. There's no call to keep charging 20 bucks per movie if there's no reason to buy it. They're willfully trying to make their own stuff obsolete.

I hate how everything has to be digital only. Where's the choice? All it does is close down shops and lose jobs. No wonder why we're in a perma-recession. Half the jobs will never come back due to digital media. That said, Disney SHOULD have at least released those Apps they said they were going to 2 years ago. They would have made money no doubt.

And I REALLY hate the toy industry. I'm digging the smaller companies like Jazzwares (their Adventure Time and Sonic stuff is leaps and bounds over mainstream stuff). I liked the sculpts, but disliked the sloppy paint apps on the Megamind line. Other than that, it's all overpriced junk and they're wondering why no one buys the stuff anymore. But then again, kids don't like toys and grow out of everything by the time they're old enough for the suggested age group.

Every time I went to the Disney Store since they carried them, the Muppet Vynalmations sold solidly. There was never more than half an open package when I checked. The other stuff didn't seem to move (maybe the Nightmare before Christmas stuff).
  16. Carl23 Member

For clarification, that's the Plushes of Kermit, Piggy, Beaker, Pepe and Rizzo that are out. Both of the GIANT sized are still in stock.

The one thing that does seem to sell rediculously well, and I personally don't really see it, is the Vynals. They're pretty expensive for their size, and every different companies versions seem to sell pretty well.

EDIT: I'd really love for Disney to start selling that figure set in the stores. They offer a Printable "paper figure" set, that has a big Muppet Theater stage backdrop. The figures would make a great display with that.
  17. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm glad whoever got me Pepe for Christmas managed to get it early enough. Like I said, hopefully the huge sales of the Muppet plush will equal more Muppet merchandise later. At the very least a restock with several new characters.

Vynalmations aren't that bad a price... not that I'd pay that. Blind box vynal figures seem to go in the upper 10-15 dollar range anyway. Kid Robot stuff especially. Too bad that they don't have sculpted vynal figures like KR's Family Guy/Futurama/Simpsons/South park lines.
  18. Muppetfan2011 Member

I ordered pepe awhile back and boy is he AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Carl23 Member

Kidrobot does some really cool stuff, and I wouldn't mind grabbing at least one of them just for fun it it didn't cost me as much as a full figure of whatever character i'd wind up getting.

Seeing as half of the characters made have been sold out since Nov. 23rd, and knowing DS' track record, I would be surprised if they DIDN'T add some characters. I'm still waiting for my Swedish Chef. At this point, it's the Waiting Game until new stuff starts popping up.
  20. Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's the one thing I think we're taking for granted... we have NEVER had a general release Pepe plush until now. Even then, this blows that stupid carney one out of the water, and at probably a lot less than you'd have to blow at ring toss or a crane game to grab him up. I hear women and children can cry themselves free prizes, but I don't recommend that. But has anyone actually ever seen those Pepe plush at carnivals/arcades?

The character assortment made me pretty happy. Sure, we'd no doubt get Piggy, Kermit, Fozzie, Animal, and maybe Gonzo... but Rizzo, Beaker, the first ever Pepe, and newcomer Walter? I really hope we get more including Chef and maybe Rowlf.