Disney's Platinum Edition DVDs?

grail

Reaction score
i have the ultimate toy box! i don't know if they're still producing it or not, but i still see it at Best Buy a lot. if you're a fan of the movies (which i know you are) then it's DEFINATELY worth it. if just for the commentaries that are only on that version. it's classic, you can tell they're little geekboys just like the rest of us.

the big "boxed set" that i want but don't yet have is the 3-disk set of Terry Gilliam's Brazil...i havn't been able to justify it's purchase yet though...

radionate

Reaction score
Ok, not to offend folks (as its been a long time since I've seen it), but what the heck could justify a 3 set DVD for Brazil? I need to go back in see it, as I was fairly young the first time I was exposed to it, and I wasn't all that blown away. What all would they include in that boxed set?

(I love asking all these DVD questions on here, 'cause you know the little punk kids at the store sure the heck don't know or care)

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail

the big "boxed set" that i want but don't yet have is the 3-disk set of Terry Gilliam's Brazil...i havn't been able to justify it's purchase yet though...
grail, it's a great set. I bought it when it first was released to DVD a few years back. The documentary is insightful, especially if you haven't read the book "Battle for Brazil". Gilliam's Commentaries are always insightful as well as self-effacing. The only minor disappointment is found in the audio commentary on the third disc...just a little bit too "read".

Still I'm glad I've got it and I come back to it every now and then.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Fantasia sort of set the standard for Disney's platinum releases both in content as well as in precedent for re-releasing to IMAX and theaters before releasing on disc. Disney did an outstanding job on the 3 disc set.

All Pixar discs have been wonderful as well and were probably the inspiration behind the Disney releases. Can't wait for Monster's on Tuesday.

I've got both Simpsons season sets. The discs gave me new respect for the first season of Simpsons which I don't normally care for since it's a bit rougher than the later seasons. I'm still in the middle of the second season, but I enjoy watching each episode followed by re-watching with the commentary.

I've also enjoyed a lot of British comedy sets like Black Adder and Fawlty Towers, and of course, Monty Pthon's Flying Circus. I have not got the Brazil Criterion set. I understand why they have three discs. Basically, if you understand the history of the movie, there's several different versions. The box set presents the different versions as well as the film's history and why the versions exist and then present them to the viewer to see how the different edits effect the movie. I also have yet to get the Time Bandits Criterion. I think Criterion is great (I have the Life of Brian) but with the prices of DVDs falling, I wish Criterion were able to drop theirs down a bit.

I'm guessing with Sleeping Beauty, they'll probably do what they did with Dumbo or Peter Pan and release a special version on some Anniversary date somewhere along the way. Why it's not among the planned Platinum releases, I don't know.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
I've got both Simpsons season sets. The discs gave me new respect for the first season of Simpsons which I don't normally care for since it's a bit rougher than the later seasons. I'm still in the middle of the second season, but I enjoy watching each episode followed by re-watching with the commentary
I broke down last night while in Wal-Mart searching for medicine, and bought the 2nd season of Simpsons on DVD. All I have to say is Wow! I will go out and pick up season 1 soon. Such a great show, and such great treatment on the DVD! I can't tell everyone how big of a dork I feel like trying to explain to my non-movie freak friends about the audio commentary stuff. I also can't tell everyone how much I appreciate the tips on DVDs that I've received from folks on MC. It's now caused me to go on a frantic search for the multi disc sets of Snow White, Fantasia, and the Ultimate Toy Box!!!

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I got Monsters Inc today on MONDAY,my mom ordered it from the Diz catalog,we got vid and DVD.anyway if you love Fantasia and Fantasia 2000,guess what soon they come out with Fantasia 2006,in 2006.also there may be Toy Story 3,i havethe box set and love it.

grail

Reaction score
yep, there MAY be a Toy Story 3. they have an idea, Tom Hanks and Tim Allen are MORE than willing to do it, the problem? in a word, Disney. from what i understand, the original Disney/Pixar contract was for 5 movies. Pixar, wanting very much to get out from under Disney's umbrella has so far put out Toy Story, A Bugs Life, Toy Story 2, Monster's Inc., and very soon, Finding Nemo. that makes 5. the problem is, while Pixar (and remember, this is my one thirty in the morning, havn't thought about it in awhile understanding) is more than willing to go back and to a third movie, they want to re-work things, being now a separate entity. Disney however, is saying that Toy Story 2 "doesn't count" towards the 5 because it's a sequel, and neither would a Toy Story 3. so everything is deadlocked until they come to some understanding. at least, i THINK that's how it went...someone who knows the history better help me out here?

kansasteen14

Reaction score
actually Toy Story wasnt in the contract and Toy story 2 doesnt count,the next movies are Finding Nemo,The Incredibles,and Cars.

GWGumby

Reaction score
I've been confused over the deal as well. All I know is that if Pixar moved into their own entity, they would no longer own the rights to the characters of their movies with Disney. So if they did separate (which I hope they do) no more Toy Story films--at least from Pixar.

Same thing just happened with my favorite game maker, Rare who did Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark and Donkey Kong games for Nintendo. Now they're moving to X-Box and have to leave all their licenses behind, unless they pay an exorbitant fee to Nintendo to buy back some of their licenses if Nintendo is even willing to sell them.

Anyway, the point is, quite often the act of running a business and protecting one's "interests" ruins a lot of great ideas out there.