Do you want a Palisades Muppet Babies Playset?

petrieboy

Reaction score
Maybe I typed my thoughts incorrectly. I want Palisades to listen, but to be careful about what they read here, because there are many customers voices that are not being expressed on this forum, and many people who don't know this forum exists. Going by this forum alone, it seems that the one playset everyone agrees on (I think??) is the Muppet Show Stage.

If there has to be a Sam Arrow (blech) then I hope at least his hat is off his head, since I keep them in the box and want to see that handsome bald eagle scalp. Too bad they can't make a snap-on outfit, so there's a naked version you can dress up if you so desire, and an Arrow version, in one.

GWGumby

Reaction score
There's a really nebulous balance between pleasing the fans and pleasing the "market."

I'm glad Palisades visits and listens to the fans and asks for their input. However, I'm also glad that after listening to what we say, they make their own decisions. That leads to lots of fun surprises, but with that comes the frustrations as well. Like items being pushed back or modified or cancelled altogether.

I think any company who lets the fans dictate their actions will fail. Any company that completely ignores the fans will fail. It's really a give-and-take effort. And Palisades has been straddling that line very well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well... seeing as how they'd have to be from the movie means that the actual characters I want aren't there. I mean, I'd love to see an actual "Baby Scooter" toy and I do love baby Fozzie... but come on! There's no way that there will be Baby versions of Animal, Bunsen or Beaker.

I mean, the &*^% safety issue is why Palisades can't make Sesame Street characters. I mean, if Henson still owned them, there'd be a little more to discuss, but Sesame Workshop has put it's foot down that Sesame toys must all be talking plushes and "Baby versions" of Sesame characters.

And is it just me, or was Baby Bean bunny... redundant? I mean, he's cute enough already!

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I don't think Henson owned the Sesame Muppets out right. I believe ownership was split, 50/50 between Sesame Workshop and Henson. So merchandising decisions would have had to be approved by both organizations. Also, hasn't Henson historically been stricter about licensing than Sesame Workshop?

Did Palisades actually go after the Sesame license or did they decide, on their own, the safety limits would make it difficult to market the sort of figures they do? It seems like a very legitimate concern to me-- you put Sesame Street toys in places like Toys R Us and they are going to be given to preschoolers and toddlers. The toys would have to be safe for very young kids.

If the line could be sold as a collector's line, that would be entirely different. You could sell Sesame figures at places like Hot Topic and Music Land without worrying about the safety stuff, but you couldn't put it in toy stores. Could Palisades really sell enough figures that way? I don't know.... If the old Sesame Street Store were still around, the figures could be put in the 'adult' section (with the coffee mugs and pocket watches) and they'd probably do really well. But if they aren't safe for young kids, you couldn't have them near toys and that really limits Palisades' ability to sell. Toy stores are a big part of their market.

I just don't think it is right to blame Sesame Workshop for the lack of Sesame Street action figures. They seem pretty open to marketing Sesame stuff to adults-- they agreed to the checks and address labels and there's a line of embriodery machine cards, those things aren't for kids. But it would be irresponsible for Palisades, Sesame Workshop, and toy stores to sell Sesame Street toys that are too dangerous for their prime audience. Neither Palisades nor the Workshop needs the publicity that would come from a three year old choking to death on an Elmo figure.

beaker

Reaction score
I can't believe there are 63 replies to this thread. While I was a huge fan of the Muppet Babies way back when, figures based on em now(even if its the MTM version) would just not work.

If any revived property should have figures though, it shoul dbe Fraggle Rock.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well after seeing all the interest in them, I think Muppet Baby figures could work, but not a whole playset. At this point with just 2 playsets per year, I'd want a theater, backstage, EM bus, Vet's Hospital, Piggy with a motorcycle, Happiness Hotel or the MTI ship before a baby playset. Maybe they could be low articulated pack-ins sprinkled througout or something. I can see now that they would be popular. I'd buy them, but I wouldn't want the line to focus on them too much. :concern:

Gonzo

Reaction score
Yup.

I wouldn't see any problems with an adorable puppet-based Muppet Baby here and there, but I wouldn't want it to turn into a Muppet Babies Line until a ho-lotta other characters have been made.

"Ho-Lotta." I may have just discovered a new name for a little girl!

"Ho-Lotta, it's time for dinner! Get in here off the street!"

Hmmmm.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Miles does need somebody to play with right? Brother Miles and sister Ho-Lotta. I bet little sis gets Miles in a Ho-Lotta trouble.

:eek:

Gonzo

Reaction score
:stick_out_tongue:

Well, for the record...the way our children will be spaced and gendered, the next one should come in early 2005, and will be male. Then in 2007 is when the girl will come...and her name has already been chosen: Glumboclutch . So we may have to wait for Child 4, which may be either a boy or a girl, and their arrival date has not yet been scheduled. Of course, Glumboclutch will have at least 17 first names, so there is room to work Ho_lotta in there...but that would mean sacrificing one of her other beautiful names we already have chosen.

And by "we," I mean Melissa. Weirdo. :concern:

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
I can't believe there are 63 replies to this thread.
Yeah but at least half of the replies are from people saying they Don't want Muppet Babies ! LOL !

Maybe it could work if they extended the license, but too much other good stuff can be done in the 14 waves they are planning !