1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Download the Muppets' Oz Teaser Promo

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Jan 30, 2005.

?

What are your expectations of the new Oz film?

Poll closed May 20, 2005.
  1. One of the best Muppet films ever

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Not like the 1980's, but pretty good

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. It will be a disappointment

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. I'm happy with anything Muppet at this point

34 vote(s)
    48.6%

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

If you were watching Disney's Christmas Parade you no doubt noticed a highlight for Muppet fans, the first televised airing of the teaser promo for the May telefilm. It featured all never-before-seen clips from the movie, some Muppet cameos and even a Muppeteer cameo.

In case you missed it, here is the one minute teaser trailer you can watch over and over again. Check it out and let us know what you think. (You will need to unzip the file and watch it in Windows Media Player.)

Find out who is in the movie in our Muppets' Wizard of Oz cast list.
  2. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I think the film will be good. It will not be the #1 Muppet production of all time, but it will not be the worst (probally not even in the bottom 10). I'm excited to see the Muppets back in a new production for the first time since the 2002 tv-move, It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. It will be a made-for-TV movie (not a theatrical film) so it may not live up to the 6 movie (Muppet Movie, Muppet Caper, Muppets take Manhattan, Christmas Carol, Treasure Island, and Muppets From Space), but it will be an excellent addition to the already huge library of TV specials (Muppets go to the Movies, Muppet go to Hollywood, Rocky Mountian Holliday, Muppets at Walt Disney World, Muppet Family Christmas, Very Merry Christmas Movie, ect.). I can't wait to watch it, and from what I've seen (and read) I have no complaints about the production. Let's hope enough people tune in to watch and we are able to see the Muppets in more productions in the near future.
  3. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I'm leary and have a bad feeling about it, but I'll try and be open minded and optimistic about it.
  4. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I felt like vomiting. It's been a good ride. Muppets: 1955-2004.
  5. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

HA! That made my day, It really made me laugh, thank you!
  6. christyb

christyb New Member

Well, like everyone I'm apprehensive. But I will write a review of it (for kicks) once I see it. That way I can bash it all I want. *evil laughter* :)
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Positively... the only things I can say is... uh... Scooter's in it. And ... errr... I guess the Tarrentino (sp?) cameo would be good.... It looks good here and there, but I am not holding out much hope that it'll be that good.

Remember a while back, long time ago when I said I'd rather see the Muppets in a movie at all, no matter how it is? Well... eating my words isn't so bad. They are dry, though. Anyone have some maranara...?

I mean, up until the "American Idol" type crap, it had potential... I don't think it'll suck too badly, but Considering that Disney made Palisades kill their line, even making them available only on web stores, I don't think anything good will come of it!
  8. christyb

christyb New Member

Well after watching it (the trailer)...I'd have to say unless this movie surprises me I'll be VERY disappointed. I will buy Oz when it comes out (my mother doesn't call me "Muppet Nut" for no reason). But hey I've been wrong before. I like Home on the Range and that Trailer stunk too. I have to agree with Dr. Tooth. The movie had real potential until I found out that all "Dorothy" wanted was to get famous. Stick her in a twister and give her a respect for her family but FAME??!! :rolleyes: . Give us a postive message Disney, Muppets Holding Company, whatever you call yourself.
  9. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

No, Thanks.
  10. Drtooth

I am not holding out any hope. I will see it, and buy the DVD... might as well, you know. But I agree, unless they just happened to make a crappy trailer, I'm not going to expect much. I do like the idea of her becoming famous... but not in an American Idol sort of way....
  11. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Oh, c'mon you doomsayers! You don't even know anything about it yet--besides, the pattern (I think) will be Muppets as themselves, Muppets performing as other characters (they are performers after all, hello TMS?) Give it a chance.

I think it'll be a good film. Definitely won't be The Muppet Movie, but I still know folks who think Muppet Babies cartoons were the original Muppets, and this will be TONS better than that!

Besides, Jim Henson was a huge fan of the MGM Wizard of Oz movie and books, and this is only fitting that they carry something he loved this far.

I'm for it, and looking forward to it. Bring it on!
  12. christyb

christyb New Member

I know. I'm having one of those days you know? So I'm taking it out on the new movie. I'll stop grumbling. I still think Dorothy needs a little more purpose than getting rich and famous. But hey that's what Kermit did huh? ;).
  13. Fozzie Bear

I don't think Kermit in TMM ever really thought of the Rich and Famous thing until that agent who winged-in from Hollywood got lost while fishing and put the rich and famous 'bug' in his ear.

If frogs had ears.
  14. Drtooth

I kinda do like the idea of the Muppets retelling Oz... just not in this fashion... Maybe it will be good for the Muppet performances, as even the worst Muppet project always has the Muppets in top form.

It's just the fact they made it a parody of American Idol that doesn't sit well in my stomach. Plus, this movie has a lot of weight to bare, as it is the first project made under the Disney ownership. It may gague what the other projects will be like...
  15. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I voted "I will be dissapointed"

Sorry, but that's what I think.

Anyway, tomorrow I will download the trailer.
  16. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Ok. I've seen the trailer. Brace yourselves for my initial reaction:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

More later...
  17. Fozzie Bear

The Muppet Oz film is an idea that began while The Muppets were still under the house of Henson.

I agree on the parody of American Idol. Reality has 10,000 versions of that show already with Last Comic Standing et al.

Then again, The Muppets have ALWAYS been about parody, whether doing commercials and rock songs on Sesame Street or Muppets Go To The Movies.

I hope folks will give it a chance. After all, we'll never know exactly what files and notes Jim Henson had about The Muppets before he died, and who knows: This might all be from plans Jim had for his characters?

After all, they're still finding notes from Walt Disney about his theme parks and movies, constantly upgrading the parks etc. Right?
  18. christyb

christyb New Member

True. Since Jim passed away no one will never know what he really had planned for the Muppets. So as of right now I'm happy with anything. And knowing myself like I do I'll probably love the new movie and drive my family to insanity by watching it over and over and over........

BTW. Beau you gotta explain your screaming you've got me wondering!
  19. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I've learned not to judge a film by it's trailer; especially a Disney TV trailer. So many great movies I have avoided due to their trailer making the movie look horrible, only later to regret not seeing it sooner when I actually do see the film - and likewise so many great trailers have had horrible movies. This trailer makes this production look, well, corny and childish. I am not using this trailer to base my opinion of the film (except to say the characters look pretty cool); but the plot, acting, dialog, music, directing, ect. I'll leave that for after I see the whole film in May.

But I try not to judge a book before it hatches, and I don't count my chicken by their cover.
  20. christyb

christyb New Member

I love that. What a spin on two old sayings.