D'Snowth's M*A*S*H Reviews

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Where Radar gets wounded and Hawkeye blames himself.

FALLEN IDOL

Still shots (See why it's nice to be able to post images in our posts?)​

Episode Information
Episode Number: 125 (6X03)
Original Airdate: September 27, 1977
Production Code: Y104
Writers: Alan Alda
Director: Alan Alda

The Plot
Radar feels like his experiences in Korea are less than lack-luster, and longs to prove himself that the war has changed him and made him grow, so he confides in Hawkeye and B.J. that he wants to be a "hot lover". Thinking he has the solution, Hawkeye suggests Radar sign himself out a jeep, give himself a three-day-pass to Tokyo and have himself a good time; it isn't until a few hours later when a batch of wounded is brought into Pre-Op, and Hawkeye is tremendously devastated to discover that one severely wounded G.I. is Radar! Hawkeye is so devastated that after he operates on Radar, he gets drunk at Rosie's Bar, and is so hung-over the next morning, that he has to leave surgery to go outside and throw-up; when word of it gets out to Radar, Radar turns out to be the one devastated: Hawkeye was God as far as Radar was concerned, and hearing that Hawkeye actually had to excuse himself and throw-up during surgery made Radar feel miserable, and when he relates his disappointment to Hawkeye, he blows up, yelling and screaming at Radar that he has no reason to worship, that he's just as human as everyone, and has a job to do to try to save people's lives in a war without going crazy if possible. Suddenly the whole camp is angry at Hawkeye for lashing out a Radar the way he did, but when Hawkeye realizes his actions were uncalled for, Radar refuses to forgive him, and lashes back out at him... which surprisingly gives Hawkeye something to be proud of: apparently Radar HAS grown up since he's been in Korea. After Colonel Potter gives Radar a pep-talk, Hawkeye and Radar finally, and eventually make up, though Radar decides to no longer worship him, and in the end, Hawkeye presents Radar with his Purple Heart.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the third episode of Season Six, it was the fourth produced.

* Radar's Uncle Ed was stationed in France during WW1.

* The set lighting is unusually bright in this episode.

* This episode reveals that Radar had always, secretly worshipped Hawkeye as an idol, and we see that Hawkeye is less-than-flattered at the thought of having someone think he's a God.

* Although this isn't the first time a main character on the show has received the Purple Heart, Radar's injury was an actually from combat, whereas Frank applied twice: once for throwing his back out, and the other for getting an egg shell in his eye.

* A rare occasion in which Hawkeye actually throws someone a salute. He would later salute Radar just as he leaves for home, and one final one with B.J. to Colonel Potter before he leaves.

* Rosie is played by Frances Fong in this episode.

* GOOF: Hawkeye says "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is the national anthem of Ottumwa, Iowa, "From where comes Judy Garland, the Tin Man, and Radar O'Reilly". Charles corrects him by saying the "characters" he's refering to come from Kansas. First of all, Judy Garland isn't a "character", she's was an entertainer of the 30s, 40s, and 50s, and she came from Minnesota, whereas in the story of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, technically the Tin Man hails from the land of Oz.

* GOOF: When Father Mulcahy, Colonel Potter, and Margaret barge into the Swamp, when the door is open, you can see the shadows of the trees against the backdrop in the background.

"Deleted" Scenes
* Two scenes in a row are cut from this episode: where Hawkeye gets extremely drunk in Rosie's Bar in the middle of the night, followed by...

* B.J. dragging Hawkeye back to the Swamp, waking up Charles by singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

* The scene where Corporal Klinger visits Radar in Post-Op has been nicked for time.

* The entire scene where Hawkeye sits in Radar's office while Charles stops by and makes him feel even worse by sharing similar experiences has been completely cut.

Top Scenes
* Radar confiding in Hawkeye and B.J. in the Swamp that he wants to be more of a man.

* Klinger and Hawkeye checking up on Radar in Post-Op where Hawkeye learns that he's Radar's "fallen idol".

* Hawkeye sulking in the Swamp with various staff members barging in to chew him out one at a time, including Father Mulcahy, Colonel Potter, and Margaret.

* Radar lashing out back at Hawkeye, and Hawkeye feeling a sense of pride knowing Radar HAS grown up a bit.

* Hawkeye and Radar finally making amends in Rosie's Bar, exactly as Colonel Potter predicted.

* Hawkeye preseting Radar with his Purple Heart, then saluting him.

Top Lines
Hawkeye: Hey Radar, what's up? You look down.
Radar: Well... to tell you the truth, can I talk to you?B.J.: To tell you the truth, why not?

B.J.: What do you want to be?
Radar: A hot lover... or even a cold one, I really don't care!

Hawkeye: I can't tell you what a jerk I feel like.
Potter: Listen, anybody'd feel like a jerk if they gone off and done what you did.
Hawkeye: (Sarcastically) Thanks, that really perks me up.

Radar: I hear you had to leave the O.R. this morning.
Hawkeye: That's right, I did.
Radar: Somebody said you had to go outside and throw-up.
Hawkeye: That's right, I did.
Radar: How come?
Hawkeye: Well, I always wanted to barf on Ouijongbu, and I thought the time was ripe.
Radar: There wouldn't be anything else, would there?
Hawkeye: No, unless the fact that most of my blood last night came from a Scotch bottle.
Radar: I wouldn't know about that, I'm not a doctor.
Hawkeye: But I am, so I'm not allowed to be human, is that it?
Radar: You walked out on an operation, and Major Winchester had to finish for you!
Hawkeye: So? I would've done the same for him if he were sick.
Radar: Well a lot of people don't look at it like you were sick, Hawkeye! A lot of people around here look up to you... they admire, and they feel like they wanna be like you... and... gee, when you walk out on an operation, they kinda feel like you let 'em down! If they can't depend on you, they figure "well, there's no point in depending on anything"!
Hawkeye: Look, you can't lay all that on my shoulders! Don't you realize how much this place stinks? Don't you realize what it's like to stand day-after-day in blood? In the blood of children? I hate this place, and if I can't stand up to it to your satisfaction, then to h e l l with it. HOW DARE YOU! TO H E L L WITH YOUR IOWA NAIVETEE, AND TO H E L L WITH YOUR HERO-WORSHIP AND YOUR TEDDY BEAR, AND WHILE I'M AT IT TO H E L L WITH YOU! WHY DON'T YOU GROW UP FOR PETE'S SAKE? I'M NOT HERE FOR YOU TO ADMIRE, I'M HERE TO PULL BODIES OUT OF A SAUSAGE GRINDER IF POSSIBLE WITHOUT GOING CRAZY! PERIOD!

Hawkeye: Radar, I'd like to apologize...
Radar: Oh yeah? Well you can just forget! JUST FORGET! TO H E L L WITH ME, HUH? TO H E L L WITH YOU! AND ANOTHER THING, ANYBODY SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT IOWA BETTER BE PREPARED TO BACK IT UP, PAL, I'LL GIVE YOU A FIST FULL OF IOWA "NAIVETEENESS" RIGHT IN THE PUSS! YOU KNOW, I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME WHAT'S WHAT, I KNOW WHAT'S WHAT JUST AS MUCH AS YOU DO, SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST CRAWL BACK INTO YOUR BOTTLE OF BOOZE AND PICKLE YOURSELF? (Chuckles)

Hawkeye: Radar, I'm going to do something now I've hardly ever done before.
Radar: You're not gonna kiss me are you?

Overall
Opinion: Not one of my favorites, but I still highly recommend it.
Rating: Click here

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

In which B.J. receives a visit from an old friend, whose a practical joker.

LAST LAUGH

Episode Information
Episode Number: 126 (6X04)
Original Airdate: October 4, 1977
Production Code: Y103
Writers: Everett Greenbaum, Jim Fritzell
Director: Don Weis

The Plot
Storyline 1: B.J. receives a visit from an old pal of his, Leo Bardonaro, who is quite the practical jokester when he called Colonel Potter earlier, claiming B.J. was really a spy sent into the 4077th for espianoge. After a short, yet sentimental visit, and reminiscing about old times, Bardonaro heads for home; no sooner does he leave when two M.P.s arrive at the 4077th with a warrant for B.J.'s arrest for disturbing a General's conference in Seoul, so Hawkeye and Colonel Potter tag along to defend B.J.
Storyline 2: Margaret desperately feels Donald Penobscott has been working to hard, and that they need to spend some quality time together, though Colonel Potter repeatedly denies her leave, which makes her go mad, and she takes it out on Radar, until finally Colonel Potter gives in and lets Margaret leave to spend some time with Donald for the good of their morale.
Storyline 3: Corporal Klinger comes up with a new scheme to get out of the Army, when he is seen through-out camp dragging around his "camal", Habibi. This storyline, however, has been cut from syndication.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the fourth episode of Season Six, it was the third produced.

* Charles doesn't appear in this episode.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Dragging around an invisible camal, named Habibi.

* This episode features another guest star who would later become a big-name celebrity: James Cromwell as Leo Bardonaro.

"Deleted" Scenes
* Basically the only scenes cut from this episode in syndication are all scenes involving Klinger with his invisible camal, with the exception for one part where he's found in Colonel Potter's office with a make-shift pooper-scooper.

Top Scenes
* All the scenes involving Klinger and his invisible camal, Habibi is pure comedy gold! Can't believe they were cut from syndication, without them, this episode falls flat in reruns.

* Bardonaro's brief visit with B.J. was very funny.

* The M.P.s arriving at the 4077th to arrest B.J., while Hawkeye tries unsuccessfully to bribe them with silk stockings, free operations, and fourteen dollars in unmarked bills.

* B.J. being taken away while Colonel Potter and Hawkeye make plans to attend a formal hearing to defend him.

* Margaret tearing up Radar's office when her call to Donald doesn't go through, then slams the trash can on Radar's head.

* Major General Fox claiming he has B.J.'s hat as evidence, yet when B.J. tries it on, it's so large he's able to pull it down over his eyes.

* Hawkeye, B.J., and Colonel Potter returning to camp, completely drunk from celebrating B.J.'s being a free man.

Top Lines
Hawkeye: (Trying to pick up Nurse Jennifer) So why don't I drop over to your tent around 9:30 tonight? I'll bring a canteen of gin and some fig newtons and we'll... (Father Mulcahy sits next to him) Geez it, the cops!

Hawkeye: Beej, you're not a spy? You've ruined my whole evening, I was going to bring a date to your execution!

B.J.: One time we stole a taxicab, took it apart completely and put it back together in the dean's office!
Hawkeye: With the meter still running, I bet.
Bardonaro: We ran it up to 800 bucks!

Margaret: (Radar walks in on her talk with Colonel Potter) WILL YOU BUTT OUT, THIS IS MAN TALK!
Radar: I'M SORRY, SIR!

Radar: Uh, Captain Hunnicutt? I'll write to you everyday.
B.J.: Thank you, Radar.
Radar: ... Even if you're there for three years.
B.J.: THANK YOU, Radar...

Mulcahy: Is there anything I can do?
Potter: Pray.
Mulcahy: Aww... that's all I ever get to do around here.

Radar: Colonel Potter, you gotta let Major Houlihan see her husband or somethin', you know what she did? She kicked me! And then she messed up my files from 'M' to 'Z' and everything, and then she got mad!

Potter: (After Margaret kisses him, and he's still drunk) You know, I like a Major with hot lips, and I'll tell ya why!
Hawkeye: Why?
Potter: Exactly! (Falls down) Did I fall down?
Hawkeye: Oh, no, Colonel...
Potter: ... I didn't think so...

B.J.: Hawkeye, the tent's spinning around.
Hawkeye: Which way?
B.J.: Clllllllllllockwise...
Hawkeye: I'm seeing counter-clockwise, maybe together, we're sober!

Overall
Opinion: Watch this episode on DVD, only! Avoid the syndicated prints in reruns.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Good goobely woop, look how long it's been since I've done any reviewing!

Well, I'd like to apologize to Princeton (because I think he's the only one who actually reads my reviews anyway) for neglecting my reviews, but for some reason, it's been kind of like when you're a kid and you just don't feel like doing chores, homework, etc. But I PROMISE I'll resume my reviews tomorrow!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Sidney finds himself a patient at the 4077th right when the entire camp starts going crazy.

WAR OR NERVES

Episode Information
Episode Number: 127 (6X05)
Original Airdate: October 11, 1977
Production Code: Y106

The Plot
When a new batch of wounded are brought into camp, Hawkeye is shocked to discover one of the wounded is divisional psychiatrist Sidney Freedman; Sidney had currently been working with a young man named Tom, and he was doing a follow-up with him in a foxhole, as part of a new technique Sidney was trying in which instead just sending a patient home after the problem seems resolved, checking up on them a few times afterwards, and apparently, Tom was assigned to the front, hence why they were both brought into the 4077th to be patched up. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but once Sidney is in camp, everybody seems to go crazy: Margaret claims Charles won't stop touching his nose in surgery, Charles claims Margaret is obsessed with him, Corporal Klinger parades around in a little dress, and fake pony tails while carrying around Radar's teddy bear, Radar blows up at Klinger for "hurting" his teddy bear, Hawkeye won't stop making B.J. smell his food, while B.J. blows up at him for making him do so; Colonel Potter can't take it anymore, and has some of the troops see Sidney in his tent, hoping he'll be able to help everyone, though Potter thinks he's slowly going loony himself when the camp has a large pile of junk ontop of the pile of infested Chinese uniforms that were intended to be burned, but Sidney explains to the Colonel that he feels that them burning carefully selected bits and pieces of the camp may be just the thing everyone needs to relieve their stress, so Colonel Potter proceeds to order the camp to start a "Regulation Bon-Type Fire". Sidney's personal problems begin to grow even more when Tom suddenly turns on him and loathes him to death for sending him back to the front after he knew the trouble he had been through, though Sidney finally feels that him taking his anger out on him may be what's best for him. Finally, later that night, everyone gathers round for a bonfire in the middle of the Compound.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the fifth episode of Season Six, it was the sixth produced..

* Margaret and Charles have a huge fight over her seeing him touch his nose, in fact, Margaret brings it up again when they have another fight in the series' finale, "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" from Season Eleven.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Acting like a little girl.

* Sidney predicts that when Radar goes home after the war, he won't need his teddy bear anymore; his prediction comes true when Hawkeye finds the bear lying on his cot as Radar's parting gift to him in "Good-bye Radar -- Part 2" from Season Eight.

* GOOF: Sidney mentions to Radar that there are some people in the world who think I Love Lucy is real; Radar says his family doesn't have a TV, and that the nearest one was 50 miles from their farm, plus they had all been in Korea since the summer of 1950, so there's a really good chance none of them had ever seen I Love Lucy.

* GOOF: Apparently the bonfire scene had to be filmed on a different outdoor set: pay close attention to how awkward the tents look, and how the wooden poles in camp are replaced with metal ones painted to look weathered. Not only that, but when Colonel Potter's desk is tossed into the fire, traffic lights can be seen in the ridge behind them.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The first scene in O.R. has been cut in half, cutting out Margaret actually witnessing Charles touching his nose and him being forced to scrub up again.

* The following scene in the Mess Tent as also been cut in half, cutting out Sidney encountering Klinger dressed up like a little girl, and Hawkeye making B.J. smell his French fry that smells like a rotten egg buried in a shoe.

Top Scenes
* The scene in O.R. where everyone starts talking shop about Charles touching noses.

* The Mess Tent scene where everyone really starts going crazy.

* Margaret being sent to see Sidney, telling him Charles is crazy, but she ISN'T obsessed with him just because he's rich.

* Charles being sent to see Sidney, and telling him that Margaret is obsessed with him, though he isn't surprised.

* Klinger seeing Sidney, confessing the main reason why he wants out of the Army is that he wants to avoid death, and obviously, in a warzone, death is something that's nearly impossible to avoid.

* Radar telling Sidney how much his teddy bear means to him, even talking to it from time to time, worrying if it means he really is crazy for carrying around a teddy bear.

* Father Mulcahy trying to console Sidney.

* The bonfire finally being started, as Klinger tosses in the Army Cookbook, Radar tosses in his bugle, Colonel Potter has his desk tossed in, Sidney throws in his fatiques, and finally Hawkeye and B.J. throw in Charles's cot for the finishing touch.

Top Lines
Hawkeye: Sidney, what are you doing here?
Sidney: I don't know, I thought I was getting on the crosstown bus, do you give transfers here?

Charles: Colonel, how can I be expected to perform surgery without having to be sent out every seven minutes to scrub up?
Everyone: DON'T TOUCH YOUR NOSE!
Charles: I hate you.

Radar: (Snatches teddy bear) Who gave you permission to touch my personal, private property?
Klinger: I'll tell my daddy you did that, he's got big, long, hairy arms!
Radar: So's your old man!
Klinger: Radar, I need it, it proves I'm crazy, Major Freedman said so himself!
Radar: Oh, so it proves your crazy because you carry around a teddy bear, huh?
Klinger: (Quietly) Will you stop trying to queer this? I'm half-way home!
Radar: How'd you like to get knocked all the way home?

Margaret: I suppose you think I find money attractive?
Sidney: I have no idea.
Margaret: Money is far beneath me, money comes second, maybe even third. (Pauses) Second.

Charles: The point is SHE is the one who is obsessed! She watches my EVERY move, my body is of intense interest to her... which, of course, I suppose you find to be very revealing... in other words, the woman is crazy about me, huh? (Chuckles) Please, don't make me laugh, Major!
Sidney: I don't know whatever came over me.

Potter: What's going on here?
Zale: Oh, we were burning the Chinese uniforms, sir, because they're infested.
Potter: Are you telling me some Chinese soldier came through here wearing an American ladder?
Zale: Oh, uh, I guess it must have slipped up there, sir.

Radar: Psst! Psst! Psss...
Sidney: Did you want to see me, or have you sprung a leak?
Radar: Oh, no sir, I just didn't want to go into your tent because I was afraid people might think I'm going crazy.
Sidney: What's the problem?
Radar: I think I'm going crazy.

Mulcahy: I've come about a friend.
Sidney: What's his problem?
Mulcahy: Things aren't going so well for him, and he's feeling a little low.
Sidney: Who's your friend, Father?
Mulcahy: You. I wonder if a good anecdote might be the thing to help you think about all of the successes you've had... I would think you've had several?
Sidney: Sure, I've sent dozens of kids back to the front, and they're fine!
Mulcahy: It hurts to think you might lose even one, doesn't it?
Sidney: When Pierce and Hunnicutt lose one, he's out of his misery, but when I lose one, I've lost a mind.
Mulcahy: When I lose one, I've lost a soul.

Overall
Opinion: Not a bad episode iffin' I do say so myself.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Sidney finds himself a patient at the 4077th right when the entire camp starts going crazy.

WAR OR NERVES

Episode Information
Episode Number: 127 (6X05)
Original Airdate: October 11, 1977
Production Code: Y106

The Plot
When a new batch of wounded are brought into camp, Hawkeye is shocked to discover one of the wounded is divisional psychiatrist Sidney Freedman; Sidney had currently been working with a young man named Tom, and he was doing a follow-up with him in a foxhole, as part of a new technique Sidney was trying in which instead just sending a patient home after the problem seems resolved, checking up on them a few times afterwards, and apparently, Tom was assigned to the front, hence why they were both brought into the 4077th to be patched up. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but once Sidney is in camp, everybody seems to go crazy: Margaret claims Charles won't stop touching his nose in surgery, Charles claims Margaret is obsessed with him, Corporal Klinger parades around in a little dress, and fake pony tails while carrying around Radar's teddy bear, Radar blows up at Klinger for "hurting" his teddy bear, Hawkeye won't stop making B.J. smell his food, while B.J. blows up at him for making him do so; Colonel Potter can't take it anymore, and has some of the troops see Sidney in his tent, hoping he'll be able to help everyone, though Potter thinks he's slowly going loony himself when the camp has a large pile of junk ontop of the pile of infested Chinese uniforms that were intended to be burned, but Sidney explains to the Colonel that he feels that them burning carefully selected bits and pieces of the camp may be just the thing everyone needs to relieve their stress, so Colonel Potter proceeds to order the camp to start a "Regulation Bon-Type Fire". Sidney's personal problems begin to grow even more when Tom suddenly turns on him and loathes him to death for sending him back to the front after he knew the trouble he had been through, though Sidney finally feels that him taking his anger out on him may be what's best for him. Finally, later that night, everyone gathers round for a bonfire in the middle of the Compound.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the fifth episode of Season Six, it was the sixth produced..

* Margaret and Charles have a huge fight over her seeing him touch his nose, in fact, Margaret brings it up again when they have another fight in the series' finale, "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" from Season Eleven.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Acting like a little girl.

* Sidney predicts that when Radar goes home after the war, he won't need his teddy bear anymore; his prediction comes true when Hawkeye finds the bear lying on his cot as Radar's parting gift to him in "Good-bye Radar -- Part 2" from Season Eight.

* GOOF: Sidney mentions to Radar that there are some people in the world who think I Love Lucy is real; Radar says his family doesn't have a TV, and that the nearest one was 50 miles from their farm, plus they had all been in Korea since the summer of 1950, so there's a really good chance none of them had ever seen I Love Lucy.

* GOOF: Apparently the bonfire scene had to be filmed on a different outdoor set: pay close attention to how awkward the tents look, and how the wooden poles in camp are replaced with metal ones painted to look weathered. Not only that, but when Colonel Potter's desk is tossed into the fire, traffic lights can be seen in the ridge behind them.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The first scene in O.R. has been cut in half, cutting out Margaret actually witnessing Charles touching his nose and him being forced to scrub up again.

* The following scene in the Mess Tent as also been cut in half, cutting out Sidney encountering Klinger dressed up like a little girl, and Hawkeye making B.J. smell his French fry that smells like a rotten egg buried in a shoe.

Top Scenes
* The scene in O.R. where everyone starts talking shop about Charles touching noses.

* The Mess Tent scene where everyone really starts going crazy.

* Margaret being sent to see Sidney, telling him Charles is crazy, but she ISN'T obsessed with him just because he's rich.

* Charles being sent to see Sidney, and telling him that Margaret is obsessed with him, though he isn't surprised.

* Klinger seeing Sidney, confessing the main reason why he wants out of the Army is that he wants to avoid death, and obviously, in a warzone, death is something that's nearly impossible to avoid.

* Radar telling Sidney how much his teddy bear means to him, even talking to it from time to time, worrying if it means he really is crazy for carrying around a teddy bear.

* Father Mulcahy trying to console Sidney.

* The bonfire finally being started, as Klinger tosses in the Army Cookbook, Radar tosses in his bugle, Colonel Potter has his desk tossed in, Sidney throws in his fatiques, and finally Hawkeye and B.J. throw in Charles's cot for the finishing touch.

Top Lines
Hawkeye: Sidney, what are you doing here?
Sidney: I don't know, I thought I was getting on the crosstown bus, do you give transfers here?

Charles: Colonel, how can I be expected to perform surgery without having to be sent out every seven minutes to scrub up?
Everyone: DON'T TOUCH YOUR NOSE!
Charles: I hate you.

Radar: (Snatches teddy bear) Who gave you permission to touch my personal, private property?
Klinger: I'll tell my daddy you did that, he's got big, long, hairy arms!
Radar: So's your old man!
Klinger: Radar, I need it, it proves I'm crazy, Major Freedman said so himself!
Radar: Oh, so it proves your crazy because you carry around a teddy bear, huh?
Klinger: (Quietly) Will you stop trying to queer this? I'm half-way home!
Radar: How'd you like to get knocked all the way home?

Margaret: I suppose you think I find money attractive?
Sidney: I have no idea.
Margaret: Money is far beneath me, money comes second, maybe even third. (Pauses) Second.

Charles: The point is SHE is the one who is obsessed! She watches my EVERY move, my body is of intense interest to her... which, of course, I suppose you find to be very revealing... in other words, the woman is crazy about me, huh? (Chuckles) Please, don't make me laugh, Major!
Sidney: I don't know whatever came over me.

Potter: What's going on here?
Zale: Oh, we were burning the Chinese uniforms, sir, because they're infested.
Potter: Are you telling me some Chinese soldier came through here wearing an American ladder?
Zale: Oh, uh, I guess it must have slipped up there, sir.

Radar: Psst! Psst! Psss...
Sidney: Did you want to see me, or have you sprung a leak?
Radar: Oh, no sir, I just didn't want to go into your tent because I was afraid people might think I'm going crazy.
Sidney: What's the problem?
Radar: I think I'm going crazy.

Mulcahy: I've come about a friend.
Sidney: What's his problem?
Mulcahy: Things aren't going so well for him, and he's feeling a little low.
Sidney: Who's your friend, Father?
Mulcahy: You. I wonder if a good anecdote might be the thing to help you think about all of the successes you've had... I would think you've had several?
Sidney: Sure, I've sent dozens of kids back to the front, and they're fine!
Mulcahy: It hurts to think you might lose even one, doesn't it?
Sidney: When Pierce and Hunnicutt lose one, he's out of his misery, but when I lose one, I've lost a mind.
Mulcahy: When I lose one, I've lost a soul.

Overall
Opinion: Not a bad episode iffin' I do say so myself.

THE END
I forgot to mention a M*O*R*S*E*L for this episode: this episode marks the first appearance of Mike Farrell's "magic mole", a mole that seems to magically appear and disappear under his right eye through-out the remainder of the season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Charles describes daily life at the 4077th in an audio tape to his parents.

THE WINCHESTER TAPES

Episode Information
Episode Number: 128 (6X06)
Original Airdate: October 18, 1977
Production Code: Y107
Writers: Everett Greenbaum, Jim Fritzell
Director: Burt Metcalfe

The Plot
Storyline 1: Charles records an audio tape for his parents, describing day-to-day life at the 4077th through his eyes, including: how it is either freezing cold or unbearably hot, how he cannot stand being cooped up in a tent with Hawkeye and B.J., though he was touched by B.J.'s concern for his mysterious loss and later gaining of weight, how he constantly tries to "endear" himself to Colonel Potter to get sent back to Tokyo or even the States, how all military units are run by "one small enlistedman" and the 4077th's Radar, Corporal Klinger being a transvestite with "dreadful taste in clothing", and Margaret being "part seductress and part Atilla the Hun".
Storyline 2: Hawkeye receives a letter from an old acquaintance who was engaged, but is no longer, and has invited him to spend the weekend with her in Seoul, though no matter how many times Hawkeye prepares to leave, something at the 4077th goes wrong that requires him to stick around and help out with the most mediocre things.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the sixth episode of Season Six, it was the seventh produced..

* Charles has a nephew, Felix, who has been discharged from the service because of fainting spells.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Fainting spells.

* Colonel Potter paints a portrait of Charles in his Class A uniform.

* Margaret tries to cheat on Donald for the first time with Charles in this episode, apparently, the writers tried to make him her new love interest, though the concept was later dropped.

* GOOF: The case of Grape Nehi Charles brings Radar is actually full of Strawberry Nehi.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The scene where Colonel Potter paints Charles's portrait has been nicked for time (cutting out mostly Radar bringing in his clean brushes).

* A few lines before Charles describes Radar to his parents have been edited out.

* Charles talking about how he upset Radar, and tries to give him an entire case of Grape Nehi as a peace offering has been edited out.

* The entire scene where Charles describes Father Mulcahy to his parents has been completely cut.

Top Scenes
* Klinger delivering mail to everyone where Charles reads him his letter about his nephew being discharged from the service because of fainting spells... giving Klinger the idea of fainting constantly to get out of the Army.

* Colonel Potter painting Charles's portrait with his mouth hanging open as if he's yelling.

* Radar preparing a patient for his departure from the 4077th.

* Charles describing Margaret being part seductress and part Atilla the Hun as she tries to flirt with him.

* Hawkeye and B.J. pranking Charles by switching out his uniforms to make him think he's drastically losing weight, and then later gaining weight, and then... "starting tomorrow, he gets taller!"

* Charles concluding his audio tape to his parents as he tries to pour himself a cup of tea to discover Hawkeye and B.J. had crammed their rubber chicken in it.

Top Lines
Charles: My nephew, Felix, is being discharged from the service because of fainting spells.
Klinger: Really, sir?
Charles: Yes, it's very strange... first everything goes a sort of dark gray...
Klinger: Yes? Yes?
Charles: ... And then he experiences wooziness...
Klinger: Go on!
Charles: ... Then he swoos, and falls to the ground...
Klinger: (Pretends to faint by falling on his back on Charles's bunk).
Charles: Klinger, come off it, when a person faints, he falls FORWARD!
Klinger: (Gets up) False alarm. (Pretends to faint by falling forward on Hawkeye's bunk).

Potter: (Over the P.A.) Attention, please. Colonel Potter speaking. Klinger, where the h e l l's the mail?
Klinger: I love that man.

Hawkeye: This is incredible!
B.J.: What? What?
Hawkeye: I'm going to Heaven!
B.J.: That is incredible.

Charles: I hate working weekends!
B.J.: What difference does it make? Everyday's a holiday in Korea.
Charles: It's just... the thought.

Radar: Now remember what Captain Hunnicutt said about your pills... the purple ones are for pain, that's 'P' for "pain"/'P' for "purple"... the whites ones are for sleep, 'W' for "white"/'W' for "sleep"...

Hawkeye: Beej, you gotta have a pair of pajamas, look around, you had a pair when you got here!
B.J.: I had a lot of things when I got here: hope, faith, sanity, a liver...

Charles: I am doing my best to try to adjust to these bizarre people... there is a transvestite Corporal with DREADFUL taste in clothes, and a Head Nurse who is... part seductress, and part... Atilla the Hun... ?

Charles: One of my tentmates is a relatively inoffensive chap named B.J. Hunnicutt. Excellent surgeon, in spite of the fact that he was born, raised, and studied in California.

Hawkeye: So, uh, what's next with him?
B.J.: Starting tomorrow... he gets taller!

Charles: Now, Mom and Dad, I will put this as elegantly, and suceintly as possible... (Pulls rubber chicken out of his tea pot)... GET ME THE H E L L OUT OF HERE!

Overall
Opinion: Nice episode.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

The camp is thrown into darkness due to a lightbulb shortage, though keep themselves occupied with a mystery novel.

THE LIGHT THAT FAILED

Episode Information
Episode Number: 129 (6X07)
Original Airdate: October 25, 1977
Production Code: Y108
Writers: Burt Prelutsky
Director: Charles Dubin

The Plot
Main Storyline: It's the dead of winter, and conditions at the 4077th continue getting worse with the severe shortage of lightbulbs in camp, not to mention the fact that the latest shipment of supplies is comprised mostly of ice cream churners, mosquito netting, salt pills, summer shorts, and other summer items that have been sent to the 4077th by mistake.
Sub-Plot 1: B.J. receives a present from home: a mystery novel, The Rooster Crowed at Midnight by Abigail Porterfield, which becomes the object of interest of everyone in camp, who all, literally tear into the book to take turns reading it, though the real mystery arrives when B.J. discovers the copy of the book is missing.
Sub-Plot 2: Charles is offended at the way Hawkeye and B.J. treat him after he accidentally injects a patient in severe pain with curare, instead of penicillin, thus bringing the patient near death.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the seventh episode of Season Six, it was the eighth produced..

* Radar doesn't appear in this episode.

* Apparently this episode also features another scene of Margaret and Charles TRYING to have an affair.

* GOOF: The producers state that there's only one occasion where a joke was recycled, however, in this episode, Hawkeye states "Please, no prompting from the studio audience.", something he also said in an earlier episode. Also, everyone had been in Korea since the summer of 1950, the decade where the television first started becoming a household object, so there's a chance Hawkeye hasn't even seen a TV before.

"Deleted" Scenes
* I haven't seen this episode in syndication enough to know what has been cut.

Top Scenes
* The gay scene where Hawkeye and B.J. use the Latrine together.

* Hawkeye confronting Charles, and chewing him out about how he won't stop thinking about himself and his ego.

Top Lines
Charles: Colonel, did those bafoons up at headquarters give you any reason why the supplies are late?
Potter: Yes, they said there's a war on.
Charles: There is, I can't see it?

B.J.: Klinger, in this light you look like Boris Karloff's sister.

Bigelow: Is anyone interested in a woman's opinion?
Hawkeye: Interested? I'd bite one in half!

B.J.: According to the jacket blurb, Abigail Porterfield has been living in Sydney, Australia for the past sixty years.
Hawkeye: Sixty years? How old is she?
B.J.: 97.
Hawkeye: We better hurry!

B.J.: What about the cute pig?
Hawkeye: (Phony British accent) I killed the pig because he was going to squeal!
B.J.: And the canary?
Hawkeye: He was going to sing!

Overall
Opinion: Not one of the better episodes of this season.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Hawkeye falls in love with a Korean woman who may appear aristocratic, but has a troubling life back home.

IN LOVE AND WAR

Episode Information
Episode Number: 130 (6X08)
Original Airdate: November 1, 1977
Production Code: Y112

The Plot
Main Storyline: Hawkeye is rather upset when a Korean national arrives in her fancy car, and appears to be aristocratic and selfish when she begs for someone to come home with her to attend to her sick mother, and Colonel Potter sends him. Once at her bombed-out hut, Hawkeye learns what a hard worker the lady really is tending to her bed-ridden mother who seems to have a deadly case of pneumonia, caring for several ophaned children, working on a farm, and trying to fix up her hut. Hawkeye soon realizes he has her all wrong, and soon falls in love with her, as she does him; but soon things take a turn for the worse when their love-affair comes to an end due to Kyong-Soon's mother passing away, and she decides to leave her village.
Subplot: A new nurse who has been assigned to the 4077th mentions a brief love-affair she has with a klutzy man named Donald, and ends up confessing without confessing that it was Donald Penobscott.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the eighth episode of Season Six, it was the twelfth produced..

* Radar doesn't appear in this episode.

* This is Alan Alda's favorite episode, and he wrote it based solely on hearing the experiences of a real-life South Korean woman who had to care for an ill mother and several orphaned children; ironically, this has been dubbed one of the worst episodes of the entire series.

* With the exceptions of scenes that take place in the hospital and Swamp, all of this episode was filmed outdoors; scenes Kyong-Soon's hut, interiors and exteriors were filmed at the Fox Ranch where the strictly exterior set of the 4077th sat.

* We learn in this episode that Donald Penobscott isn't exactly a faithful husband when Margaret learns he had been flirting with the new nurse that had been assigned to the 4077th.

* Mike Farrell begins to let his hair grow out in this episode, and by the end of this season, he'll be sporting an shaggy, 70s look.

"Deleted" Scenes
* I haven't seen this episode in syndication enough to know what has been cut.

Top Scenes

Top Lines
Hawkeye: If Scott and Zale come to visit, tell them to wait by the pool...

Hawkeye: What does Kyong-Soon mean?
Kyong-Soon: It means I'm bright and obedient, but my father used to tease me... I'm not very obedient.

Overall
Opinion: Bores me to tears.

THE END

Beakerfan

Reaction score
YAY! Thanks Snowth! Right now these reviews are about all the M*A*S*H I get on a somewhat regular basis. (even if the episodes stink, lol!)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
YAY! Thanks Snowth! Right now these reviews are about all the M*A*S*H I get on a somewhat regular basis. (even if the episodes stink, lol!)
:big_grin:

I have GOT to start doing these on a regular basis again! I find it ironic that I abandon them, especially when I'm finally getting into my favorite season.:frown: