D'Snowth's M*A*S*H Reviews

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Hawkeye and B.J. refuse to shower until Charles gives up his French Horn.

The Smell of Music

Still shots (See why it's nice to be able to post images in our posts?)​

Episode Information
Episode Number: 138 (6x16)
Original Airdate: January 3, 1978
Production Code: Y115
Writers: Jim Fritzell, Everett Greenbaum
Directors: Stuart Millar

The Plot
Main Storyline: Hawkeye and B.J. are repulsed by Charles bad French Horn playing, though Charles refuses to give in, claiming music is his only sedative from the war. At the same time, Charles is repulsed by the way Hawkeye and B.J. smell when they haven't bathed in a while... suddenly Hawk and Beej have lightbulbs above their heads... they refuse to shower until Charles gives up his horn. Pretty soon, the entire camp suffers from Hawkeye and B.J.'s hideous body odor, as they back away from them in O.R., and sign petitions to keep them from having their meals in The Mess Tent with everybody else; finally, Charles's French Horn gets on their nerve so much, they make racket of their own by playing metal washtubs like they're big drums, and blow kazoos to annoy Charles back, only to have him try to out play them by playing his horn louder. The rest of the camp then sneak up on Hawkeye and B.J., and spray them down, and attack them with buckets upon buckets of soapy water to give them their much needed bath, while Margaret has a corpsman run over Charles's horn with a jeep.

Subplot: Colonel Potter has to deal with a stubborn patient in Post-Op, who had been seriously wounded in the face; so vain is this patient that he feels when he returns home, his beautiful girlfriend (whom he was named "The Most Handsome Couple" at their old high school with) will be so repulsed, she'll dump him. He then tries measure after measure to kill himself, from overdosing on sleeping pills, to sneaking into O.R. to suffocate himself with a gas mask; finally, Colonel Potter has it, and uses reverse psychology to scare him straight.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the sixteenth episode of Season Six, it was the fifteenth produced.

* Radar doesn't appear in this episode.

* David Ogden Stiers once actually played the French horn in real life.

* Mike Farrell kept breaking up while filming the scene where Hawkeye is so annoyed with Charles's horn playing that he smashes his hard boiled egg (which Alan Alda apparently kept having trouble smashing).

"Deleted" Scenes
* The breakfast scene in The Mess Tent has been nicked for time (mostly Corporal Klinger relaying the menu for the morning to Hawkeye and B.J.)

* The brief scene where Hawkeye's rejected by a nurse because of his body odor has been completely cut.

* The first Post-Op scene has been nicked for time to cut out Klinger walking out as Colonel Potter walks in.

Top Scenes
* Hawkeye dropping his socks into Charles's horn to shut it up.

* Hawkeye and B.J. being forced to eat their meals outside, rather than in The Mess Tent, and suddenly growing annoyed with each other's body odor, only to have their argument interrupted by Charles's bad horn playing.

* The rest of the entire camp, dressed up in black rain coats (and Klinger wearing a red fire fighter's helmet) hosing Hawkeye and B.J. down, then dumping buckets full of soapy water on them in a final attempt to rid them of their hideous odor.

* Charles having Cho Man Chin rebuild his horn for him, which is does my welding together parts from different horns, including a saxophone, small marching tuba, a trambone, and a trumpet.

Top Lines
Mulcahy: Seventy-two hours straight... I'm prayed out... absolutely... prayed out.
Hawkeye: Don't forget Father, God was on six days straight.
Mulcahy: He was a lot younger then.

Hawkeye: It's the sadistic sounds of Doc Winchester and his "all moose" orchestra, to ask the musical question WHY US? !

Potter: I guess it you boys haven't had the chance to shower yet?
Hawkeye: Oh yeah, we had the chance.
B.J.: We didn't shower anyway.
Potter: I see, any special reason like it's "National Pig Week"?
B.J.: Nope.
Potter: You know in one way you out RANK me, but not where it counts.

Klinger: Gee, you're a nice guy Father!
Mulcahy: I'm a priest, we specialize in nice.

Charles: A clamp for my nose please? The odor is overwhelming, thanks to my rancid colleages who shall remain nameless.
Hawkeye: Could he mean us Dr. Nameless?
B.J.: I believe he does, my rancid colleague!

Potter: Look Winchester, there's a nice canyon a mile up the road, you can blue that horn till your blue in the face.
Charles: The enemy will shoot at me!
Hawkeye: I think we're finally getting through to him.

Hawkeye: We have met the enemy and we are his.

Hawkeye: Pull up a crate and tell us about it Father.
Mulcahy: No, I'm expected inside.
B.J.: Father? Tell the truth, is it because we smell bad?
Father: Well uh... I uh... oh dear... oh dear... how shall I put this... yes, because of that...
Hawkeye: Jesus ate with the lepers.
Mulcahy: He was an exceptionally good sport.

Potter: You want death? We got plenty of it around here, suck it up, punk!

Potter: I'm getting too old for this kind of crap... I think I tore my shorts.

Charles: (Cho Man Chin has rebuilt his horn, using parts from other horns) There's no mouth piece.
Cho Man Chin: Yeah!
Charles: What do you mean "yeah"?

Overall
Opinion: Fantastically funny!
Rating: Click here

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

The surgeons are in desperate need of a new surgical clamp.

Patient 4077

Episode Information
Episode Number: 139 (6x17)
Original Airdate: January 10, 1978
Production Code: Y114
Writers: Ken Levine, David Isaacs
Directors: Harry Morgan

The Plot
Summary from TV.com (which should still be TV Tome): In need of a special surgical clamp, Hawkeye and B.J. hire Mr. Shin, a local jewelry dealer, to make it. Days later the clamp is used to save the leg of a wounded soldier. Mr. Shin goes into the surgical supply business.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the seventeenth episode of Season Six, it was the fourteenth produced.

* The actual title of this episode was supposed to be "Patent 4077", somehow, the title was mis-spelled, or it was an honest misprint.

* GOOF: The new vascular is actually invented in this episode, however, apparently they have already been using it for a while, as Margaret mentions it being designed for them in "Comrades in Arms, Part 2".

"Deleted" Scenes
* I haven't watched this episode enough in re-runs to know what all has been cut.

Top Scenes

Top Lines

Overall
Opinion: The worst episode of this season.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Hawkeye has to deal with a British officer, who seems to be in a hurry to get his men out of Post-Op, and back in action.

Tea and Empathy

Episode Information
Episode Number: 140 (6x18)
Original Airdate: January 17, 1978
Production Code: Y109
Writers: Bill Idelson
Directors: Don Weis

The Plot
Main Storyline: Hawkeye performs surgery on a lot of British soldiers, who have come down with cases of peritonitis because when they've been wounded, they were given tea, instead of blood or plasma; and while the patients rest in Post-Op, their commanding officer, Major Derrick Ross storms in, claiming the boys are ready to be sent right back to battle, while Hawkeye, B.J., and Charles all try to convince him otherwise. Major Ross leaves temporarily, but returns the following night, only this time, he's only interesting in hearing the letters from home for his men; when stepping outside, he explains to Hawkeye that his behavior was expected from his men, reasoning that they know they're going alright if he barges in acting callous, "at times where it's better to slap a hand than to hold it".

Subplot One: B.J. deals with a patient he's dealt with before, who seems to have an unusal craving for morphine shots, until B.J. deduces that he's a junky, and is determined to help his patient quit cold turkey, which is very difficult for him to say the least, until he finally gets it out of his system, and is clean.

Subplot Two: The 4077th is completely out of penicillin, and needs more of it desperately, but are unable to get ahold of any... that is until a passing soldier confesses to Father Mulcahy that's he's been dabbling in the Black Market, and tells him where the stolen penicillin is stashed: until the bell at an old burned out school house. When bad turns to worse, Father Mulcahy and Corporal Klinger ride to the school house to retrieve the penicillin.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the eighteenth episode of Season Six, it was the nineth produced.

* Major Ross is played by special guest star, British actor, Bernard Fox; at the time, Fox was best known for his portrayal of the eccentric Dr. Bombay from the magic sitcom Bewitched, which was on the air from 1964 to 1972. Sadly, Fox was also a recurring fixture on the rival sitcom, Hogan's Heroes, where he played bumbling Royal Air Force officer Colonel Crittendon. M*A*S*H writer Laurence Marks, and director/executive producer Gene Reynolds also had previously worked on Hogan's Heroes.

* The plot of the 4077th treating British soldiers is based on an event that happens in Richard Hooker's original 1968 novel.

* The burned out school house where Klinger and Father Mulcahy drive to to retrieve the stolen penicillin is actually the exact same school house where Colonel Potter tried to establish the new location for the 4077th in "Bug Out, Part 2" from Season Five.

* Once again, Margaret is rather flirtatious with Charles in this episode, until a scene cut from syndication in which Charles's sleeve gets caught in Margaret's insignia as he tries to prevent her from falling over.

* GOOF: Father Mulcahy refers to himself and Klinger as "Christian Soldiers". Klinger is an atheist.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The scene where Father Mulcahy tries to tell Colonel Potter where he may be able to find penicillin without telling his has been cut.

* The scene where Charles asks Margaret how she copes with the "cultural famine" in Korea has been cut.

Top Scenes
* Klinger and Father Mulcahy's ride to the abandoned school house to retrieve the penicillin, though they have trouble lifting the heavy bell, which seems to be giving Klinger a hernia, before they're shot at by snipers.

* Hawkeye trying to bond with a patient in Post-Op by reading a letter from his Aunt Eloise, only to bore the patient so much, he falls asleep in self-defense; while B.J. walks him outside, as he still reads his letter aloud.

Top Lines
Mulcahy: Can I do anything Hawkeye?
Hawkeye: No net yet Father, he still has a chance! I'm sorry Father, that was a dumb thing to say.
Mulcahy: No, I understand, I know I must seem like a vulture to you waiting for the unfortunate ones. I wish I could be of more help.
Hawkeye: So do I, look at this guy, he's full of tea.
Mulcahy: Tea?
Hawkeye: Yeah, you can't tell whether this guy's a soldier or a salad bar.

Ross: I don't appreciate your humor young man, what is your rank?
Hawkeye: Either Private or General, I can never keep that stuff straight.

Corporal: It's been six weeks since my last confession... you sure this is just between us? Nobody else is gonna know?
Mulcahy: Only the one who knows everything.
Corporal: Colonel Potter? !
Mulcahy: I'm speaking of the Lord!

Klinger: There must be a lot of happy Korean kids around here Father.
Mulcahy: Why is that Klinger?
Klinger: The school house burned down, I used to dream about that in Toledo!

Margaret: Klinger, where's your skirt?
Klinger: Missing in action, Major!
Margaret: Go cover yourself you hairy fool!
Klinger: I am covered Major, covered with glory!

Ross: (After encountering Klinger) That was probably their commanding officer.

Overall
Opinion: Okay. It has its moments.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Radar becomes "Big Daddy O'Reilly" as he serves as the camp's new disc jockey.

Your Hit Parade

Episode Information
Episode Number: 141 (6x19)
Original Airdate: January 24, 1978
Production Code: Y124
Writers: Ronny Graham
Directors: George Tyne

The Plot
Radar receives a shipment of new, jazzy records, Colonel Potter instructs him to play over the P.A. to offer just a LITTLE entertainment for the eleventh straight day of no casualties; so with Charles's record player, and Klinger assisting him, Radar launches the 4077th's first radio station... that is until choppers arrive with a heavy deluge of casualties, and all though they may seem overwhelmed, Colonel Potter has Radar continue playing the records over the P.A., "We're going to need all the sedatives we can get!". During O.R., Hawkeye learns that the blood bank had just run out of AB- blood, which he needs desperately, so while they continue to give one patient plasma, the search for an AB- donor is on. Until then, because of the excessive number of casualties, the Swamp, Mess Tent, Officer's Club, others' tents have been turned into free space to let the wounded cooperate; this doesn't work out well for the staff, especially Charles, who can't find a place for his cot. Enter: bomb disposer Sergeant Gribble, who actually, has been bombed while on R&R, so Hawkeye, B.J., Sergeant Zale, and Klinger try to sober him so they can take some of his blood and put it into the patient who so badly needs it. In the end, Colonel Potter shuts down Radar's (who has now taken the alias of Big Daddy O'Reilly) radio station, after people got tired of the music he was playing... especially the one song Colonel Potter requested a total of 23 times - Sentimental Journey.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the nineteenth episode of Season Six, it was the twenty-fourth produced.

* Hawkeye invents his own game: Double Cranko: a combination of checkers, chess, and poker... with no rules what so ever, except that whoever has the cards and the checkers always wins.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Story of How He Tried to Avoid Being Drafted: When he went in for his physical, he walked in speaking only in Lebanese, keeping his eyes crossed, and having measles painted all over his face. "Went over like a lead salami" he said.

* We learn that Colonel Potter has a major crush on Doris Day that his wife, Mildred, doesn't know about, hence why he requested Radar play "Sentimental Journey" twenty-three times.

* Bomb disposer Sergeant Gribble is played by the series' programming consultant, Ronny Graham, who also wrote this episode. This is the first episode he had written for the series.

* GOOF: During the O.R. scene in this episode, whenever the scene focuses on what Hawkeye is doing, if you pay really close attention, you can see David Ogden Stiers is clearly staring off into space in the background.

"Deleted" Scenes
* After Hawkeye and B.J. finish their first game of Double Cranko, they cut directly to Klinger and Radar setting up the record player in Radar's office, thus cutting out Radar actually walking into the Swamp and telling Hawkeye and B.J. about the new shipment records and needing to borrow Charles's record player, and Hawkeye lending it to him without his permission.

* The triage scene has been nicked short for time, since 26-28 minute shows have to be at least 22 minutes nowadays.

* The brief scene where Klinger delivers thermometers to patients having to recuperate in the mess tent, and Charles pondering about "lima beans and cube steak in country gravy" on his patient's chart has been cut out, as well as the scene of Colonel Potter and Father Mulcahy checking on patients recuperating in the Officer's Club, thus making Mulcahy absent from this episode in syndication.

Top Scenes
* The opening sequence where Hawkeye and B.J. are fighting boredom in The Swamp by playing the game Hawkeye invented: Double Cranko, as Radar walks into borrow Charles's record player.

* Hawkeye trying to bond with a patient in Post-Op by reading a letter from his Aunt Eloise, only to bore the patient so much, he falls asleep in self-defense; while B.J. walks him outside, as he still reads his letter aloud.

* Klinger setting up Radar's office for him so he can run the 4077th's new "radio station", as well as give him tips on how to be a D.J., complete with "disc jockey talk" like "Hey, this is your platter pusher Radar O'Reilly, slidin' out some hot times for all you cats and hot dog ladies!"

* The staff having to tend to patients all over camp, having them recuperate in Post-Op, The Mess Tent, The Officers' Club, everywhere.

* Radar really getting into his D.J. persona, now sporting a pair of sunglasses, and his musty old Hawaiian shirt, now taking on his stage name, Big Daddy O'Reilly; so into his new persona is he, that he even answers the phone with "You say it, I'll play it!" Or whenever he makes an announcement over the P.A., it's "A Big Daddy Bulletin!"

* Hawkeye and B.J. having to set up two cots from themselves in Colonel Potter's tent, when he tells them all about how his second love - "Happened about a dozen years ago when I was stationed at Fort Dix. One night some of the boys and I went up to hear Les Brown and his Band of Renown, well, I was just sort of looking around, when suddenly, walking across the dance floor, there she was, this willoy, blonde beauty... I was in love. Well, the band started playing, the vocalist started singing "Sentimental Journey", I had looked up to see I had fallen in love with Doris Day. I'm glad Mildred wasn't there, I couldn't have handled it. I have never taken her to a Doris Day movie. I've seen 'em all. Alone. Sometimes, I feel bad that Mildred doesn't know, but then I remember Doris doesn't know either."

* Hawkeye and B.J. having to deal with a blood donor who is absolutely terrified of needles, so much in fact that they have to chase him all over The Compound to get blood from him.

* Charles begging Margaret to let him set up his cot in her tent, while she denounces him, for fear that he might take advantage of her, though he tries to reassure her that she shouldn't worry "One you are a married woman, and two, I am EXHAUSTED!"

* Radar getting ready to play "Senimental Journey" for the twenty-third time, completely exhausted from serving as a D.J. all night long, until Colonel Potter finally concludes his broadcast day, at the request of the entire camp.

* The closing sequence where Hawkeye teachers Colonel Potter how to play Double Cranko, even though he always loses as well.

Top Lines
B.J.: You're cheating.
Hawkeye: How can I cheat? There are no rules!
B.J.: Oh yeah.

B.J.: Care to join us?
Radar: What are you playin'?
Hawkeye: Double Cranko.
Radar: Yeah?
Hawkeye: Bishops are worth three jacks...
Radar: Right.
Hawkeye: Checkers are wild...
Radar: Uh-huh.
Hawkeye: And you have to be twenty-one or over to open.
Radar: Oh.
B.J.: Care to sit in for a hand?
Hawkeye: You'll get out by dawn.
Radar: Uh, no thank you sirs, whenever I lose, I always like to know why.

Klinger: There you are, kid! You're ready to go on the air from one end of the camp, to the other!
Radar: Oh my gosh...
Klinger: Pick up that mike and announce the first tune!
Radar: Okay... (Flips on mike) Uh... (Flips off mike)
Klinger: That's it?
Radar: Aw come on Klinger, I don't know what to say!
Klinger: Just put it in your own words!
Radar: I don't HAVE any of my own words, I just use everybody elses!
Klinger: Come on, you speak into this thing all the time!
Radar: Yeah, but I never jockeyed a disc before, I mean, I don't know what those guys say!
Klinger: Have no fear kid, I'll tell you what to say!
Radar: What, you know about this stuff?
Klinger: Are you kidding? Remember that tale of "The Scandal of Toledo" two years ago? My Uncle Bob gets out next month!
Radar: Oh, well then here, maybe YOU should be the announcer...
Klinger: Me talk into this thing? Not a chance. Here, just say your name, then the song, it's simple!
Radar: Okay... (Flips on mike) Hi... (Chuckles) this is Corpor... uh no, this is Radar! Um, I just thought you might like to hear uh... um no, I mean I gotta... we just gotta shipment of... of um... yeah, I'm, uh, I'm gonna play a record for you... (Plays the record then cuts off the mike) Not so terrific huh?
Klinger: I better write you some stuff.
Radar: What kind of stuff?
Klinger: Disc jockey talk! You know... "Heyyyyyyy, this is your platter-pusher, Radar O'Reilly, slidin' out some hot times for all you cats and hot dog ladies!" Dig it?
Radar: I don't understand a thing you just said!
Klinger: Good, neither will they...
Radar: I don't think I was cut out to be talented.

B.J.: Charles! Get over here, I got a bus full of belly wounds!
Charles: In a moment.
B.J.: NOW CHARLES!
Charles: I got a compound fracture here and it's bleeding!
Potter: Bones have to wait.
Charles: Well Colonel, I bet to differ!
Potter: That's an order, not an opinion.
Charles: That's the most opinionated order I've ever heard.

Radar: And now music lovers, here's some music you might love, it's called... Wish... Wish You... uh, I can't see it, 'cause the record's spinning... well here it is, whatever it is...

Charles: Oh nurse? There's something here on this man's chart that I just don't understand, it says here "Lima beans" and "Cube steak in country gravy", am I supposed to adminster that, or treat it?
Nurse: Sorry doctor, that's the menu, this is usually The Mess Tent, you know.

Potter: Ah, may The Good Lord bless and keep you Father, they're playing your song.
Mulcahy: Well actually, I requested "Tiko, Tiko", but this is very nice.
Potter: Yes it is, I haven't seen this many people horizontal in this place since our New Years Eve party.
Mulcahy: At least those people were able to walk again.

Charles: Why? Why am I being forced to move my food stuff into Potter's tent when they're allowed to keep this ridiculous stillery here?
Margaret: Will you stop griping? Haven't you heard? There's a police action on.
Charles: That's easy enough for you to say, you're not being forced out of your own quarters!
Margaret: (Rubs index finger and thumg together) Charles, you know what this is?
Charles: What?
Margaret: The world's smallest violin, and it's playing just for you.

Radar: And now a rhythmic room-shaker requested by Corporal Max "I Wanna Get Out of Here" Klinger... it'll be coming your way just as soon as I put a new fang in the ol' tone-arm cobra!
Hawkeye: "Fang in the tone-arm cobra"?

Radar: (On the P.A.) And a big hello to all you daddy-o's, mommy-o's, and N.C.o's from Big Daddy O'Reilly!
Potter: (Walks in) Big Daddy, just play the record.
Radar: Gotcha covered, big cat!
Potter: What? !
Radar: Uh... that' means "Yes sir", Colonel...
Potter: Real cool (Walks out).
Radar: Here's a mover, and a groover, and it ain't by Herbert Hoover, it's for all you animal AND music lovers, "The Cincinatti Dancin' Pig"! (Phone rings) You say it, I'll play it!

Potter: Radar, you take requests, right?
Radar: I don't have anything from WW1 sir.
Potter: Button it! You have "Sentimental Journey"?
Radar: Aw Colonel...
Potter: Do. You. Have. It?
Radar: Well yeah, but...
Potter: Play it!
Radar: Okay sir, but there's a lot of people ahead of you, mostly wounded, it may not be till later this evening...
Potter: Corporal, let me remind you I OWN this station.
Radar: And it's comin' right up boss! Uh Colonel... owner...
Potter: Real cool.

Potter: Hope none of you boys are sleepwalkers.
B.J.: Well I USED to be, but my mother cured me with psychology, she scattered tacks on the floor.

Charles: I refuse to sleep standing up!
B.J.: Why? We do it all the time in O.R.!
Charles: I'm sure you do, but I am neither an incompetent, nor a horse!
Hawkeye: Well then what ARE you?
Charles: I DEMAND a space for my cot!
Hawkeye: (Immitating Groucho Marx) Hello room service? Send up a larger room!
Charles: My CRIB was larger than this tent!
B.J.: Of course, you had to have room for the tennis court!

Radar: And now for the third time tonight, a request from our commanding station manager, that moldy oldie, "Sentimental Journey".

Gribble: Oh no, you're not gonna put no needle in me, I can't stand it... I pass out!
Klinger: It's okay, you'll be lying down anyway.
Gribble: You don't understand, look, I REALLY pass out, I can't stand those things, they... they make me feel... OOGY!
Hawkeye: I know how he feels, I get that way from peanut butter.

Charles: Margaret, on this occasion, allow me to be frank...
Margaret: FRANK? I beg your pardon? !
Charles: NO, NO, NO, I meant frank with a little 'F', I mean another frank...
Margaret: I know what you mean.

Klinger: Alright, it's beddy-bye time for you sir...
Hawkeye: Unhand me you harlot, you know not whom you touch...
Klinger: Come on Captain, the crisis is over! Huh, what do you say?
B.J.: Don't ask, just take him!
Hawkeye: Take, take, take, that's all anybody does, doesn't anybody GIVE around here?
Klinger: Alright, give me your arm.

Radar: You know... uh, this is Radar... mike side... talking to you over the mike... and this is the TWENTY-THIRD playing of the old "Sentimental Journey"... you know, I really had great staying up ALL NIGHT playin' this tune, and... now that we all heard it, we'll never forget it including me because I played it twenty-three times... and you folks have been so... kind with your requests... and your kind requests... that I just wanted to tell you that I'm gonna stay here on this "Sentimental Journey" for TWELVE more hours... how's that all you hot potatoes out there in M*A*S*H Land?
Potter: (Turns off record player) You just signed off.
Radar: But sir, my loyal listeners...
Potter: Are the ones who asked me to shut you off.
Radar: Oh.
Potter: Don't feel too bad, you did a good job, you kept us going at a crucial time. I'm proud of you, son.
Radar: Thank you, Colonel.
Potter: And for the first time in twelve years, I can honestly say, I'm sick and tired of Doris Day.

Potter: What do you mean I lose?
Hawkeye: Look I got a full house, all you got is a lousy pair of checkers, PLUS the fact that my ten of hearts has your bishop ready to convert!
Potter: Is he following the rules?
B.J.: What rules?
Potter: Ah, now it makes sense.

Overall
Opinion: This is my all-time favorite episode! "Big Daddy O'Reilly" reminds me of my days as school disc jockey for our news/radio show in Grade 8, I went by the name "D.J. Salvatore".

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, so what I'm going to try to do is go ahead and finish up review Season Six, and then in the days to come when I start reviewing Season Seven, I'll make it simpler on everybody and only review an episode a day.

M*A*S*H
Season Six

Margaret takes a test to confirm her suspicions of whether or not she might actually be pregnant.

What's Up Doc?

Episode Information
Episode Number: 142 (6x20)
Original Airdate: January 30, 1978
Production Code: Y119
Writers: Larry Balmagia
Directors: George Tyne

The Plot
Main Storyline: Margaret's been suffering from some peculiar symptoms as of late... morning sickness, dizzy spells, irritability... all classic signs of pregnancy. Margaret believe she's pregnant, but her problem that she doesn't want to admit is that Donald might not be the father, considering all of the people she's fooled around with before she married him (namely Frank Burns), so Hawkeye talks her into taking a pregnancy test, though she refuses unless it's done at the 4077th, but in order for them to do that, they're going to need the ovaries of a female rabbit. Radar refuses to volunteer his female rabbit, Fluffy, unless Hawkeye can simply remove her ovaries without killing her, so he does, and later that evening, the test is performed and the results are negative, Margaret isn't pregnant, and now Fluffy can live in the same cage with her mate, Bongo.
Subplot: B.J. has to deal with an irritable patient in Post-Op who absolutely refuses to be sent back to the front, so much in fact that if anyone gets in his way, he'll kill them, which is precisely why he pulls a gun on Charles and takes him hostage until Colonel Potter lets him fly home to Ohio; hearing this news, Corporal Klinger volunteers to take Charles place, and help keep the two of them in hiding since he has connections in his hometown of Toledo. The patient, however, starts to black out due to the massive blood loss from his shoulder injury that he ended up working up, so the hostage situation is over.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twentieth episode of Season Six, it was the nineteenth produced.

* The title of this episode is rather amusing, considering much of this episode has to do with using Radar's female bunny for a pregnancy test; "What's Up Doc?" is Bugs Bunny's famous catchphrase.

* There are a few possibilities as to who the father could've been if Margaret really had been pregnant, most signs would either point to Frank, or some of the countless generals Margaret had been flirting with since the beginning.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Two in the episode, at first, he borrows the pictures of the youngsters of other staff members, and tries to convince Colonel Potter they're all his, and has decided to take full custody of all of them, requiring a hardship discharge. Later, he volunteers himself to be taken hostage by a manic depressive patient who demands to return to Ohio.

* Sergeant Zale has a daughter named Zelda.

* Radar has a female bunny named Fluffy, and a male named Bongo; coincidentally, in Season Seven, Radar has a male guinea pig also named Bongo... it must be a popular name with him.

* Charles graduated from Havard in 1943.

* GOOF: Radar talks about Fluffy now being able to live in the same cage as Bongo, but that's not necessarily true; unless Bongo has been neutered, there's still the possibility that he might try to mate with her, and if he becomes too aggressive, he could kill her.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The only scene deleted from this episode in syndication is where Klinger tries to tell Colonel Potter that the nine photos of different children in his wallet are all his, and needs a hardship discharge in order to return home and care for them since he's decided to take full responsibility for all of them.

Top Scenes
* Hawkeye, Colonel Potter, and Margaret trying to explain to a thick-headed Radar why they need his female bunny for Margaret's pregnancy test, and when it finally sinks in, Radar gets up and runs out of Potter's office. Followed shortly by Radar finally deciding she'd rather let her go than watch her killed; Hawkeye agrees to operate on her so she won't die, which pleases Radar, even as he asks "She'll still be able to have kids, won't she?"

* The closing sequence where Radar bandages up Fluffy in his office, while Margaret walks in and thanks Radar for all he and Fluffy had done for her.

Top Lines
Hawkeye: Margaret, let me give you a hand... (Helps Margaret out of her scrubs) this may take a minute, I'm used to doing this in the dark.

Radar: Oh no... oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, you're not gonna kill my Fluffy! YOU'RE NOT GONNA USE MY RABBIT AS A GUINEA PIG! THAT WOULD BE MURDER!

Hawkeye: You don't have to wait outside!
Radar: What'd you say sir?
Hawkeye: I said you can come in!
Radar: Uh, no thank you sir, I'd rather wait outside...
Margaret: Oh come on, you've seen hundreds of PEOPLE operated on before...
Radar: Yeah, but people bad stuff isn't as bad as rabbit bad stuff...

Margaret: I wanted to thank you for what you and Fluffy have done... sacrificing her ovaries so I could find out...
Radar: Oh that's okay Major, I know you'd do the same for Fluffy.

Overall
Opinion: Not bad, I like episode a lot because it's a got BUNNIES!

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

The 4077th receive troubling letters from home in the third, and final episode in the "Mail Call" trilogy.

Mail Call Three

Episode Information
Episode Number: 143 (6x21)
Original Airdate: February 6, 1978
Production Code: Y121
Writers: Everett Greenbaum, Jim Fritzell
Directors: Charles Dubin

The Plot
The 4077th is excited about receiving mail for the first time in three weeks, so as Radar makes his rounds delivering mail, each staff member receives news from home that either makes them happy, or upset: Father Mulcahy receives a postcard from his sister saying the Hermosa Basketball Team now has a seven-foot-tall novice, Hawkeye receives his bonus issue of Nudesweek and another love letter for another Captain Benjamin Pierce, B.J. receives word that back home Peggy went to a neighborhood and was actually hit on by one of the neighbors, Charles gets the word that 40% of the Missouri Sorghum crop had been destroyed by hail which works out good for his since he's invested in Canadian Sorghum, Radar learns that his widowed mother now has a new boyfriend, Colonel Potter receives new snapshots of his grandson Cory, Klinger finds out that his wife Laverne has found herself a new boyfriend and wants to divorce him immediately, while Margaret receives another letter from her mother-in-law who had just blackballed her from the D.A.R. Everyone then finds themselves trying to deal with their situations: B.J. gets drunk in the Officer's Club, but later makes a phone call home to Peg, who actually misses him terribly and wishes he were home because she needs him, Klinger plans to go AWOL so he can get home to Laverne to try to stop her from divorcing him and marry another guy, Radar consults Hawkeye about his problem, and he tells him of a similar experience with his widowed father who fell in love with another woman but he refused to like her, the other Captain Benjamin Pierce arrives in the 4077th to exchange letters with Hawkeye, but is horribly offended to learn that he read all of his letters, and Klinger returns to the 4077th, deciding that if Laverne doesn't want him, then he doesn't want her.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S

* The third, and final "Mail Call episode.

* The other Benjamin Pierce was played by Oliver Clarke, who also appeared in the previous season as Hawkeye's Navy buddy Tippy Brookes.

* Klinger and Laverne got married over the PA system in Season Three, and apparently were considered "happily married" for the next three seasons until she up and falls in love with a man who makes sausage casings for a living, thus wanting to divorce him.

* This marks the sixth time someone has waken Radar up in the middle of the night to make a phone call. He would be woken up one more time the next season (by an incoming call, rather than outgoing) before his departure.

* The set lighting in unusually bright in this episode.

* There is no O.R. scene in this episode, thus once again, violating Alan Alda's contract.

* GOOF: B.J. sure did seem to sober up rather quickly... he gets drunk in the Officer's Club around 11:00, and wakes up Radar to use the phone around three in the morning completely sober... usually, B.J. stays drunk (and sometimes unconscious) for the rest of the night and wake up the next morning hung-over.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The brief scene where Klinger follows Radar into his office trying to grab his letter from Laverne before Radar has the chance to sort it.

* There's an entire scene with Margaret and Charles in the supply room where Margaret tells Charles about the letter from Penobscott's mother black balling her from the D.A.R., and Charles saying it's "understandable". This makes this episode virtually Margaretless in syndication, if you don't count her "Who needs the D.A.R.?" line during movie night in the Mess Tent.

* Hawkeye and Father Mulcahy singing "Button Up Your Overcoat" in the Officer's Club is cut short, leaving only the final verse in syndication.

Top Scenes
* Hawkeye, B.J., and Father Mulcahy playing poker in The Swamp as Radar delivers mail to Captain Pierce, Captain Hunnicutt, Father Mulcahy, and "Master Charles".

* Radar reading his letter from home while Colonel Potter tries to share his new snapshots of his grandson, Cory, with him, only to have Radar ignore them completely, but compliment that Cory looks a lot like him.

* Klinger fessing up to Father Mulcahy that he's going AWOL, while Father Mulcahy tries to talk him out of it.

* Radar confiding in Hawkeye about his objection to his mother's new boyfriend, while Hawkeye tells him about how his widowed father became interested in lady that Hawkeye hated, and because of that, he didn't marry her because his son's happiness was more important to him than his own.

* B.J. waking up a crabby Radar in the middle of the night to call Peggy back home, meanwhile Colonel Potter and Father Mulcahy try to hurry up B.J.'s call to contact the M.P.s about Klinger going AWOL after all; without a doubt one of my all time favorite scenes from the entire series.

* The closing sequence in The Officers' Club where everyone (except Margaret) toasts the now single Klinger... that scene alone almost reminds me of Cheers.

Top Lines
Radar: Mail's sorted.
Hawkeye: Ah, the Shetland Pony Express!
Radar: Want yours here Father, or in your tent when you're there?
Mulcahy: Oh, here will be fine, it's traveled far enough... ah, a short note from my sister in the Convent.
B.J.: Oh, a "Nun-o-gram"!

Potter: Got some new snapshots of my grandson, Cory, wanna peak?
Radar: Hmm? Oh yeah, sure sir...
Potter: Here he is in the sandbox, of course you can't see him, he just through sand in the lense... here's a picture of him and his little friends on the swings, the blur in the middle's him... boy that Mildred is some photographer!
Radar: Yeah, he looks a lot like you sir...

Klinger: Colonel, please, you've GOT to help me out!
Potter: Alright, here... put one foot after the other, and you're out!

Potter: Look son, we can't let every soldier who received a Dear John letter go home, nobody'd be left overseas.

B.J.: (Drunk) Have one on me Klinger... in fact, I'll have one with you... (Hawkeye yanks him out)

Radar: Well, you know my mother.
Hawkeye: Only by mail.
Radar: Well you know she's been without my dad for a long time now.
Hawkeye: Yeah, I know.
Radar: She started keepin' company with this man, he's been a teller at the Farmers' bank for thirty years, he's a third-degree Mason, he's an elder in his church...
Hawkeye: Sounds like a pretty shady character.
Radar: If you don't mind sir...
Hawkeye: Oh right, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, what's the problem?
Radar: Well I don't even know this guy, and he's going out and around with my mom, I mean, look, bingo on Wednesday nights at The Masonic Lodge... on Fridays its squaredancing at the Penicostle church, every Sunday, he gets her in his Nash Metropolitan, and takes her over to Lockport for sno-cones... just the two of them, they never stop, it's go-go-go!
Hawkeye: So what's wrong-wrong-wrong?
Radar: Well old people aren't supposed to go runnin' around like that!
Hawkeye: Sure they are, I think it's great!
Radar: Wh... yeah but what if he... suppose he wants to horse around?
Hawkeye: Great! Good for the Cardiovascular system!
Radar: COME ON, THIS IS MY MOM WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!
Hawkeye: Radar, she's a WOMAN, a warm human being, where do you think YOU came from, The Monkey Ward Catalogue?
Radar: That was my regular father!
Hawkeye: (Laughs) Radar, Radar you're jealous!
Radar: ME JEALOUS? !
Hawkeye: Yeah sure, you got to share her with somebody else for the first time since you were a little kid.
Radar: (Pauses) Yeah... maybe I AM jealous...
Hawkeye: I was the same way, the same thing happened to me, my father's a widower you know?
Radar: Oh yeah? You mean just like my mom?
Hawkeye: Right, when I was about twelve-years-old, he got interested in this very nice lady... she was a book-keeper... and I was sore as h e l l, I didn't say anything, but he knew I was sore... and he really wanted me to like her, but I wouldn't... anyway, I... I guess he needed my approval so much that... he didn't marry her... and he's been alone to this day... and loneliness is everything it's cracked up to be.
Radar: Yeah, I guess it is.
Hawkeye: So, with your mother, I'd wait and see.
Radar: Yeah, well... if you say so... um, but you know, I was thinking... um, if it doesn't work out? Maybe we could introduce your dad to my mom? (Shrugs; Hawkeye smiles)

B.J.: Radar? Come on Radar, wake up!
Radar: (Startled) What is it sir? ! What? !
B.J.: I wanna use your phone to call San Fransisco!
Radar: Oh for Pete's sake!
B.J.: Radar, come on, it's important!
Radar: No, forget it!
B.J.: Alright, I'll do it myself... just tell me where to plug this thing in?
Radar: Oh, why can't anybody use this darn phone during the daytime? !
B.J.: Oh Radar, I can't wait that long, look, I owe you one, okay?
Radar: Oh boy, if I had an hour's sleep for everytime somebody ever said THAT to me...
B.J.: The number for San Fransisco is...
Radar: 555-2657, I know, I know, and I'm hurrying! Must be a quarter to three in the morning... Sparky? Sparky I KNOW it's a quarter to three in the morning (Covers phone) you owe him one too sir!
B.J.: Okay, okay...
Radar: Listen, this is an urgent phone call to San Fransisco... right... there's twenty-five bucks in it for you...
B.J.: What? !
Radar: (Covers phone) I didn't think you'd mind! Right... okay, go ahead, I'll just stand by...
B.J.: What's the problem?
Radar: Hey, this is gonna take a few minutes, you know, there's STATIC over Honolulu!
B.J.: Oh... (Shakes Radar's teddy bear) it's probably those electric ukelealeas!
Radar: HEY!
B.J.: What? !
Radar: (Snatches bear) HIS HEAD ISN'T ON TOO GOOD EITHER!

Mulcahy: I'm sorry to disturb you sir...
Potter: That's okay, I have to get up in another six hours anyway...

Potter: Hunnicutt, get off that phone... you let him call his wife about a CAR?
Radar: Well, Captain Hunnicutt's a... Captain, Colonel...

Hawkeye: No offense Pierce, but you don't exactly look like Clark Gable, and you don't sound like Ronald Coleman, and you don't move like Fred Astaire, how do you do it?
Pierce: Do what?
B.J.: Get all the girls to go wild about you!
Pierce: Oh that... I guess it's 'cause I make them laugh.
Charles: I beg your pardon?
Pierce: I make them laugh...it's my sense of humor, I'm a very funny guy... (Leaves)
Hawkeye: (Sarcastically) He's a very funny guy.

Radar: Colonel! Colonel, it's Klinger, he's back!
Potter: Out of my way, thank God he's back alive, I'm gonna kill him!

Klinger: (Drunk) Hey, I wanna make a toast... to MASH 4077... 7... 7... I may not have no family no more in Toledo, but I sure got one here... I LOVE you guys... (Passes out)
Potter: (Drunk) Pretty rotten way to show it!

Overall
Opinion: Nice episode, and nice conclusion to the "Mail Call" series.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Hawkeye and Nurse Bigelow switch places for a day with a boorish chest surgeon, and a fun-loving old friend of Margaret's from the 8063rd.

Temporary Duty

Episode Information
Episode Number: 144 (6x22)
Original Airdate: February 13, 1978
Production Code: Y125
Writers: Larry Balmagia
Directors: Burt Metcalfe

The Plot
The 4077th and the 8063rd temporarily transfer one doctor and one nurse with each other, in hope of being able to pick up on new surgical techniques and methods to continue to improve on survival rates at both units; Colonel Potter sends Hawkeye and Nurse Bigelow to the 8063rd, while they send Captain Roy Dupree and Captain Lorraine Anderson to the 4077th. B.J. and Charles reluctantly make their new Swamprat feel at home, but he quickly proves himself to be quite a boor and full-of-himself, which makes B.J., and even Charles miss Hawkeye already, meanwhile, it's learned that Lorraine and Margaret are old best friends whom they haven't seen each other of in years, and Margaret is absolutely thrilled at first, but quickly grows to hate Lorraine as she watches her joke around and have a good time with the rest of the camp. B.J. and Charles's problem grow when Roy decides he wants to be transfered to the 4077th permanently, so they both cook a plan to prevent that from happening; because he's such an ol' country boy, after Roy gets drunk from Rosie's Bar, B.J. and Charles temp him into taking Sophie, Colonel Potter's horse, out for a ride, which he does. Naturally, this angers Colonel Potter very much, so when the transfer is over, he personally kicks Roy out. At the same time, Lorraine tries to get to the root of Margaret's sudden moodiness and learns that Margaret is somewhat jealous of how silly and carefree Lorraine is, while she has let the Army take over her; Lorraine comforts her bottled up best friend, and tells her she should open herself up a bit more, and let people know what a kind and caring person she really is. In the end, Margaret starts palling around with others in camp a bit more, while B.J. and even Charles are thrilled to death to have Hawkeye back.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twenty-second episode of Season Six, it was the last produced.

* This is a very popular episode, mostly due to the fact that Hawkeye only appears in this episode during the very beginning, and very end; Hawkeye is the ONLY character on the show to appear in all 256 episodes.

* Roy Dupree is played by special guest star, George Lindsay, best know as TV's Goober Pyle, during his stint on The Andy Griffith Show; Lindsay, like fellow Andy co-star Hal Smith, later went on to do a lot of voice-acting.

* Margaret and Lorraine apparently have known each other since they were kids, as Lorraine reminisces about the time they both melted down their fathers' war medals to make earrings, or how they copied the answers for a big exam, and stuffed them in their bras.

* GOOF: The still shot of Father Mulcahy used during the closing credits is actually from "Your Hit Parade", meanwhile, the last still shot of Hawkeye is from "Major Toppo".

"Deleted" Scenes
* Charles, in a good mood with Hawkeye gone, hammering up a Boston sign on the signpost outside The Swamp, while Radar tells him how he'd love to visit the historic sights in Boston "Like Concord, Bunker Hill, and The Red Sox".

* Two scenes in a row where Lorraine tells B.J., Charles, and Father Mulcahy over lunch about her and Margaret taking an exam, and having stuffed all of the answers in their bras; meanwhile, Roy continuously laughing at Corporal Klinger in chow line. This makes for a Klingerless episode in syndication.

Top Scenes
* Charles hammering up his Boston sign to the sign post while Radar tells him about how he'd like to visit the historical sights of Boston like Concord, Bunker Hill, and The Red Sox.

* Margaret and Lorraine's reunion in the lab as they immediately story to reminisce about old times together.

* Charles flirting with Lorraine in O.R., while Roy makes some rather tasteless jokes, both of which angers Margaret.

* B.J. and Charles describing Sophie to a drunken Roy, and Roy thinking they're actually talking about Klinger.

* Lorraine consoling Margaret in her tent, while Margaret almost has a bit of an emotional breakdown... think this might have led to a little something more when the cameras weren't looking?

* The ending sequence where Hawkeye returns, and B.J. and Charles act like they're disappointed the transfer is over, but quickly drop their act and join in on a group hug.

Top Lines
Radar: You know, I'd like to visit Boston sometime and see all those historic sights... you know, Concord? Bunker Hill? The Red Sox?
Charles: (Chuckles) Corporal? Sometimes you say the most amusing little things, even if you don't realize it.

Roy: Howdy, the name's Dupree, Roy Dupree from the 8063... see, it kinda rhymes!
B.J.: We've been expecting you; Hunnicutt's my name, call me B.J., and this is Corporal O'Reilly, our company clerk.
Radar: Yeah, you can call me Radar, sorry I don't rhyme.
Lorraine: Ahem?
Roy: Well tie me to an anthill, and smear my gills with jam, where are my manners? J.G.? Radar? I'd like you fellahs to meet the prettiest little philly to ever suit your belly wounds, Captain "Lo-rraine" Anderson.
Lorraine: Sometimes it's pronounced "Lorraine".
B.J.: Sometimes mine's pronounced B.J.

Charles: Let me be brutfully candid, I find your sense of humor mockish, and your personality boorish to say the least.
Roy: I appreciate your opinion good buddy, but it don't change my mind, I still like you... (Slaps Charles's shoulder)
Charles: Good Lord, he means it...

Lorraine: What was all that about?
Margaret: That's what I was going to ask you.
Lorraine: Are you telling me I did something wrong in there?
Margaret: Surgery is not a sexual sandbox!
Lorraine: What are you saying? That's the way it always is in there, flirting is just a way of killing time!
Margaret: Listen Lorraine, I'm Head Nurse, and it's my job to make sure nothing gets killed, including time!
Lorraine: Alright... you've changed a little you know? (Leaves)
Roy: Hey spitfire, you sure did kick up a lot of dust in there!
Margaret: Oh yeah?
Roy: Yeah, but I do love a woman with spunk!
Margaret: Why don't you go sit on a steer's horns?
Roy: Well maybe not THAT much spunk...

Roy: Now Padre, like the next man, I believe in a little religion, but I also believe in a little good, clean, dirty fun!
Mulcahy: I'll forgive you for what you just said, but then again, I AM in the forgiving business.

Charles: Say, Hunnicutt, is it your turn to take Sophie for a walk, or mine?
B.J.: Sophie?
Charles: (Immitates galloping sound)
B.J.: Right, right... I think it's mine!
Charles: Oh darn!
Roy: Hey, who's Sophie? What she look like?
B.J.: Oh, about 6'8'', hairy legs, longest nose you've ever seen...
Roy: You mean that guy in the dress? !
Charles: Not Klinger, no, the company horse.

Lorraine: Why don't you try letting your hair down with your friends now and then?
Margaret: I don't have any friends here.
Lorraine: What about your husband? Isn't he a friend?
Margaret: A friend? He's barely a husband... you know what I was thinking the other day? He's more like a toy soldier I play with sometimes... the worst of it all is there's nobody I can tell that to...
Lorraine: Of course there is, you've got a whole camp of people out there Margaret, if you'll just let them in!
Margaret: It isn't that easy.
Lorraine: You make it difficult... you try so hard to be perfect you make it impossible for anyone to please you. Why don't you ease up a little? Let them know you're human? Let them know what I've always known... what a warm, and caring person you really are.

Margaret: I love you, you know?
Lorraine: (Coldly) I know. (Laughs)

Charles: Pierce? I never thought the day would come when I'd admit this... BUT GOD I MISSED YOU!

Overall
Opinion: I used to really love this episode, but not so much anymore. It still has its moments.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

When bad reports about the 4077th get out, Potter decided to put in for a transfer stateside.

Potter's Retirement

Episode Information
Episode Number: 145 (6x23)
Original Airdate: February 20, 1978
Production Code: Y120
Writers: Laurence Marks
Directors: William Jurgensen

The Plot
While visiting his pal, General Waldo Kent, Colonel Potter learns about bad reports about the 4077th, particularly, it's leadership, Potter is especially upset Waldo informs him that the reports are actually coming from the 4077th; with that, Colonel Potter returns to the 4077th in a bad mood, and puts an end to Corporal Klinger's M.P. masquerade, and the Kentucky Derby party which has started much too early in The Mess Tent. Later that afternoon as Colonel Potter gives out extra duty to the non-commissioned enlistedmen in camp, Radar delivers the news that a surprise inspection will be held next week, so with that, Colonel Potter interrupts the actual Derby Day party to deliver the news of the inspection... and his retirement. Curious, Hawkeye and B.J. drag the burden out of Colonel Potter, who tells them that about the reports coming in from the 4077th; because of his personal animosity towards the Colonel, they immediately suspect Charles, who denies sending out the reports, and suggests they check the outgoing mail to see who IS sending the reports. The culprit? Corporal Joe Benson, and he isn't a Corporal at all, but a Lieutenant sent in as a spy from one Colonel Frank Webster, who was a patient at the 4077th several months earlier, and was upset when Potter felt his shrapnel wounds on his shoulder weren't as serious as other casualties. With that, Benson is ordered out of camp, while Colonel Potter asks that his record is cleaned up, though he's still not sure whether or not he's going to stay, until Hawkeye, B.J., and Radar plead him to, which he does.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twenty-third episode of Season Six, it was the twentieth produced.

* This episode plays a lot like an episode of the rival sitcom Hogan's Heroes; coincidentally, M*A*S*H writer, Laurence Marks (who wrote this episode) also wrote for Hogan's Heroes.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Trying to become an M.P. so he can escort prisoners back to the states.

* Charles's grandmother owns almost half of Downtown Boston.

* Hawkeye refers to Colonel Potter by his first name, Sherman, for the first and only time in this episode.

* GOOF: The Derby Day cake is supposed to be chocolate, but in the end, when it's revealed the cake has been cut in half, it appears to be vanilla.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The party preparation scene has been cut in half for time.

Top Scenes
* The camp preparing The Mess Tent for the Derby Day Party, including B.J. making Mint Julip out of gin and green cough medicine, while Margaret argues with the chef about what color icing to put on the derby-shaped chocolate cake.

* Hawkeye and B.J. going through Charles's foot locker to see if they can find any notes to someplace official, only to find a note Charles hadn't finished writing to a girl he was dating and apparently gave the wrong impression to.

* The closing sequence where the senior staff of the 4077th sing Colonel Potter "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow", to celebrate his first day back in command.

Top Lines
Hawkeye: (Phony southern accent) Mornin' Beauregard, how's the mint julip comin'?
B.J.: (Phony southern accent) A regular Louieville slugger, taste it yourself...
Hawkeye: (Takes a sip and smacks his lips) Needs more julip... (Southern accent) By the by, what are you usin' fer mint?
B.J.: Green cough medicine.
Hawkeye: Mm, antiseptic and antibellum!

Chef: Major, I refuse to put LIME icing on a CHOCOLATE cake!
Margaret: That's the whole theme of the party, "Derby Day"! Kentucky! The green grass!
Chef: In the first place, Kentucky grass is BLUE, and the second, I'm the chef, and the icing will be white!

Radar: (Reading Lieutenant Benson's letter) That fink!
Hawkeye: You can use stronger letter than that Radar.
Radar: That DIRTY fink!

Radar: Are you staying sir?
Potter: I must admit, this is a load off my mind, but, I haven't seen Mildred in a long time...
B.J.: I haven't seen Peg, but I'm staying.
Potter: Been a long war, I've passed my prime about ten squares back.
Hawkeye: Look Colonel... Sherman... you can give me a hundred reasons to go... and I can't give you one good reason to stay... but stay anyway.
Radar: Yeah, what he said.
B.J.: Please.
Potter: Well, I'll have to think about it for a while... (Looks at watch for a couple of seconds) aw, what the h e l l, I'll stay.

Potter: I hate this place.

Overall
Opinion: I used to really love this episode, but not so much anymore. It still has its moments.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Charles starts taking pills to boost his energy, and soon finds himself dependant on the drug.

Dr. Winchester and Mr. Hyde

Episode Information
Episode Number: 146 (6x24)
Original Airdate: February 27, 1978
Production Code: Y122
Writers: Ken Levine, David Isaacs, Ronny Graham

The Plot
Main Storyline: Charles is having trouble staying awake, and it shows as he yawns too much in O.R., and begins falling asleep while doing lab work, and though he refuses to administer pep pills to Corporal Klinger, reasoning people of his genetic background are too hyper active, he decides maybe he should a couple himself to help boost his energy. Pretty soon, Charles is working like a machine in everything from writing up some of his own medical theories, to outdoing everyone in O.R. It isn't before long, however, when Charles discovers he now has trouble sleeping, and ends up collasping one night in a cold sweat, breathing problems, and a blood pressure of 160/100; Hawkeye and B.J. raid Charles's foot locker and find the bottle of pep pills, which makes Charles feel ashamed of himself, as he steps outside, throws up, and quits cold turkey.
Subplot: Radar decides to take on the Marines recuperating on Post-Op in a mouse race, so he trains his mouse, Daisy for the big race, wanting so much to beat the Marines and their mouse, Sluggo and really rub it in; Charles decides to help by slipping Daisy a mouse's sized portion of pep pills when Radar isn't looking.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twenty-fourth episode of Season Six, it was the twenty-second produced.

* The plot revolving around Charles in this episode is somewhat of a remake of "Dr. Pierce and Mr. Hyde" from Season Two, in which Hawkeye is exhausted, yet so worked up, he can't stop at anything he does.

* Hawkeye is afraid of mice.

* There's an amusing blooper for this episode, in which Gary Burghoff continuously messes up his lines where Radar mouths off at Charles for drugging his mouse, to the point where Gary shouts "Aw s h i t!", and walks off camera.

"Deleted" Scenes
* I haven't seen this episode in syndication enough to know what's been cut.

Top Scenes
* Radar trying to buddy around with the Marines resting in Post-Op, only to have them make fun of him as he tells them about how he tries to join the Marines, but was turned down because of his poor vision.

* Radar training Daisy in his office, and ends up losing her for a moment before shrieking can be heard in the next room.

* Charles having trouble sleeping, and keeping Hawkeye and B.J. awake.

* The big mouse race in Post-Op against Radar's Daisy, and the Marines' Sluggo, and Daisy ends up winning more than just the race, but a pint of respect for Radar.

Top Lines
Charles: My medical expertise tells me that people of your... genetic background... are far too hyper active.
Klinger: I AM NOT!

Radar: Hey, Superman! Is that the one where they kidnap Lois Lane?
Marine: Lois Lane gets kidnapped in all of them!

Hawkeye: So Radar, this Daisy is lightning fast, right?
Radar: Well, I guess I can teach her...

Mulcahy: Come everyone, let's go over to The Officers' Club to toast the winners and console the losers! First round's on the parish!

Hawkeye: I'm gonna take a nap. And then later when I wake up, I'll roll over and get some sleep.

Overall
Opinion: Pretty good, has its moments.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Hawkeye, B.J., and Charles exchange tall tales, in order to top one another.

Major Toppo

Episode Information
Episode Number: 147 (6x25)
Original Airdate: March 27, 1978
Production Code: Y123
Writers: Allyn Freeman

The Plot
Main Storyline: Hawkeye and B.J. are annoyed with Charles; they can't have an unintelligent conversation with each other, exchanging tall tales, without Charles having to top their stories with his real life escapades and experiences.
Subplot One: Corporal Klinger is placed in charge of a new, non-commissioned Corporal, "Boots" Miller, who seems even crazier than Klinger tries to be from pretending a soup ladle is a microphone and he's a newsanchor man, to shoot down invisible enemy gliders while on guard duty, but not before he talks with his best friend, Mr. Sock.
Subplot Two: The patients in Post-Op are in a lot of pain and suffering, but the main problem is that the last of the morphine the 4077th has gone bad, and they are unable to get anymore, though Colonel Potter has a plan, based on something that happened in his childhood when he aunt was so sick, she was bedridden, until a simply country doctor gave her a couple of pills, told her she'd be fine, and within a half hour, she was up baking him cookies. The medication? Two sugar pills. So Colonel Potter has the doctor make up a batch of sugar pills to administer to the patients, passing them off as a sedative, stronger than morphine, and sure enough, the patients are no longer in pain, and sound asleep.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twenty-fifth episode of Season Six, it was the twenty-third produced.

* The actual title of this episode is "Major Topper", possibly another typo.

* B.J. once dated Esther Williams's stand-in, while Charles once dated THE Audrey Hepburn.

* GOOF: When Colonel Potter and Klinger are walking down The Compound, discussing Boots Miller, you can see backstage behind The Mess Tent.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The lunch scene in The Mess Tent where Hawkeye, B.J. and Charles exchange tall tales, while Boots Miller walks around the tent with a soup ladle as a microphone, interviewing the "soldiers", and singing like Rosemary Clooney has been severly knicked for time.

Top Scenes
* Colonel Potter telling the staff about the story of his ill aunt being administered sugar pills and actually feeling completely better within a half hour.

* Hawkeye, B.J., Charles, Margaret, and Father Mulcahy adminstering the sugar pills to the patients in Post-Op, and pretty soon some patients are no longer in pain, while others have completely fallen asleep.

* The closing sequence in The Mess Tent where Colonel Potter receives a package from Boots Miller... a sock with a face on it, apparently a now hot-selling toy back in the states, that earned him a spot as Vice President in Charge of Research and Development of the Novelite Toy Company, and a note asking him if he has any photos of the invisible glider he shot down for his idea for a new toy called "Enemy Glider".

Top Lines
Miller: Good night Mr. Shoe. Good night Mr. Sock, oh now don't you worry about this little hole, Mr. Toe doesn't mind a bit!

Mulcahy: Ah yes, faith... the evidence of things unseen.

Potter: Come on, put it on the back of your tongue, and chase it down with a little water.
Patient: I can't swallow pills doc, I choke on Sen-Sen!
Potter: You're like my horse, I have to hide her pills in an old apple core, alright right, open your mouth and close your eyes.
Patient: (Groans)
Potter: Do it. (Administers the pill) You'll be out of pain soon. I wish I could say the same for me, you just bit my finger.

Charles: I'm a man of medicine, I am NOT a medicine man!

Klinger: It's about Corporal Miller, you told me to keep an eye on him.
Potter: He wearing your dresses?
Klinger: No sir, he's past that, he talks to his socks.
Potter: As long as he keeps them clean.

Overall
Opinion: Amusing season finale, but not exactly the best episode ever.

THE END

I'll see you hosers later for Season Seven!