D'Snowth's M*A*S*H Reviews

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Good news everybody, I'm doing my M*A*S*H reviews again! Why? Because some Hawkeye-hating idiot at IMDb has been doing his own, and they SUCK! Plus I've missed doing them, so here we go...

M*A*S*H
Season Six

A scripp exchange in Korea leaves Charles with dollar signs in his eyes.

CHANGE DAY

Still shots (See why it's nice to be able to post images in our posts?)​

Episode Information
Episode Number: 131 (6X09)
Original Airdate: November 8, 1977
Production Code: Y113
Writers: Laurence Marks
Director: Don Weis

The Plot
Main Storyline: In order to thwart counterfeiters in South Korea, a new scripp (paper money) exchange has been issued by the United States Army... all G.I. blue scripps must be exchanged for red scripps.
Subplot One: Corporal Klinger has decided to get out of the Army by re-enlisting himself at West Point.
Subplot Two: A wounded M.P. recuperating in Post-Op entrusts Hawkeye with his money for the scripp exchange; Hawkeye later finds himself out $400 when the money is swiped behind his back, which not only infuriates him, and the M.P., but Father Mulcahy as well.
Subplot Three: When Charles learns about the scripp exchange, he comes up with a scheme that will make him even richer by cheating locals out of every last scripp they have, and trading it for a ten dollar bill in American money - virtually worthless in South Korea during a war.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the nineth episode of Season Six, it was the thirteenth produced..

* Radar doesn't appear in this episode.

*Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Re-enlisting, and trying to apply to West Point.

* Klinger has an Uncle Gus who was discharged from WW1 as a "Aunt Gussy".

"Deleted" Scenes
* The opening sequence where Klinger marches in Colonel Potter's office in his Class 'A' uniform, informing him that he's re-enlisting has been nicked for time.

* The scene in The Swamp where Charles wheels and deals with Mr. Kim the Korean tailor has been nicked for time.

* The scene in The Mess Tent where Colonel Potter delivers the news to Hawkeye, B.J., Margaret, and Father Mulcahy about Klinger applying to West Point has been nicked for time.

Top Scenes
* The scene where Mr. Kim tailors a new Class 'A' uniform for Charles in The Swamp, while Charles avoids paying him is another great way to continue to reveal Charles's snobbish personality.

Top Lines
Potter: (Over the P.A.) Attention all personnel, this is Colonel Potter speaking.
Hawkeye: Prove it.

Potter: Have all your scripp ready for the exchange, or the only place you'll be able to use it is in the latrine.

B.J.: Hey, I think I got a counterfeit bill...
Hawkeye: Looks legit to me, a perfect likeness of Mao Tse-Tung.
B.J.: I don't know... "In Buddha we trust"?

B.J.: I can see it all now - Father Mulcahy, Bishop of Las Vegas!

Potter: You're never going to believe what I have to tell you...
Hawkeye: Then why listen? Now where were we?
Potter: (Laughs) Pierce, sometimes you can be very amusing... (Stops laughing) and then there's now...

Hawkeye: Charles?
Charles: Don't bother asking Pierce, the answer's still no!
Hawkeye: How do you know I'm going to ask for money again?
Charles: Oh. Alright, what is it?
Hawkeye: Can I borrow $400?

Mulcahy: (On the P.A.) Attention all personnel... well, not ALL personnel... this is Father Mulcahy address the one personnel who has stolen the money entrusted to Captain Pierce... you may think you've reaped a profit by this act... but as ye sow, so shall ye reap! Robbery itself is a sin, but robbery of your comrades-in-arms is an abomination before the Lord, and a really dirty trick! "VENGEACE IN MINE" SAYETH THE LORD, OH YE GENERATION OF VIPERS! AND HE WHO BLASPHEMETHS AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT, BETTER THAN MAN HAD NEVER BEEN BORN!
Hawkeye: You're a little late, so goodnight folks.
Mulcahy: Oh yes... well, bless one and all... (Turns off P.A.) How'd I do?
Hawkeye: Father if that man doesn't return the money, he's deaf!

Cho Man Chin: That G.I. Joe your friend?
Mr. Kim: I only make tailoring for him.
Cho Man Chin: May the seat up his pants turn into scorpions!

Klinger: Sir, I'm begging you, help me get ONE thing right?
Potter: Alright, I shouldn't do this... you spell Klinger with only one 'G'.

Overall
Opinion: Meh, not one of the greatest episodes in the world. It has it's moments..
Rating: Click here

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

After seeing a patient in O.R. with tattoos all over his body, Radar decides he wants to get a tattoo as well.

IMAGES

Episode Information
Episode Number: 132 (6X10)
Original Airdate: November 15, 1977
Production Code: Y105
Writers: Burt Prelutsky
Director: Burt Metcalfe

The Plot
Main Storyline: A wounded G.I. in O.R. has a menagerie of tattoos all over his body, quite astounding to say the least, especially Radar who decides he wants to get a tattoo himself, reasoning that he's tired of being a nobody, and wishes to be the object of respect, fear, and sex. His only problem? He's unsure of what to get... a panther? A Marine? A girl? A tiger? A snake? "Mother"? All the while, Hawkeye and B.J. try to discourage Radar from getting one, though in the end, their persistance pays off when he simply has a little teddy bear drawn on his butt.
Subplot One: A new nurse who has been assigned to the 4077th is having trouble adjusting and getting used to the place, which annoys the heck out of Margaret, who works feverishly to have her transfered to another unit, against the wishes of Colonel Potter, who feels she'll be about to pull through so long as Margaret eases up on her.
Subplot Two: A stray dog wanders into camp, and Margaret takes an instant liking to the poor creature, who's basically skin and bones, so she secretly takes care of the dog by sneaking it table-scraps from The Mess Tent, but when the dog is accidentally ran over by a jeep, Margaret has an emotional breakdown.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the ten episode of Season Six, it was the fifth produced..

* This episode is very interesting to say the least, considering that in "Check-Up" from Season Three, Radar had recently gotten a tattoo of an anchor on his right bicep, and seems to get a kick out of showing it off to Henry; this was probably a continuity error, considering Gary Burghoff asked that Radar be more simple-hearted and naive.

* This episode features yet another scene where the writers tried to make it seem like there's a little hanky-panky going on between Margaret and Charles, despite the fact that the scene was cut from syndication.

*As of this episode, Colonel Potter and his wife, Mildred, have been married for thirty-eight years.

* Whoever played Rosie in this episode remained uncredited.

"Deleted" Scenes
* Although some of the opening sequence in O.R. has been nicked for the time, the only scene that was really cut from this episode is the scene in which Charles joins Margaret for lunch, which makes her feel uncomfortable as if others might think they're into each other.

Top Scenes
* The scene in The Mess Tent where Hawkeye and B.J. try to talk Margaret into laying off Nurse Cooper, while poking fun at Charles sitting next to her.

* Radar meeting up with Corporal Hendrix in Post-Op, discussing tattoos, leading up to Radar going around camp asking for opinions on what kind of tattoo he should get.

* Margaret sneaking scraps to the dog, then later having an emotional breakdown upon learning he was run over, while Hawkeye tries to console her.

* The ending sequence where Radar decides to lift weights instead, but is discouraged by Colonel Potter, who secretly tries to lift the barbell himself while Radar steps out.

Top Lines
B.J.: All you inherited Charles were blue eyes, and a Blue Chip portfolio.

Margaret: Cooper! That was inexcusable!
Cooper: I know, I'm sorry, it's just that sometimes it's so pitiful... that soldier in there, he couldn't have been more than eighteen, just like my kid brother!
Margaret: Suppose he WERE your kid brother, would you want his nurse falling all to pieces? !

B.J.: This is the last darn sock I darn until the war's over.
Hawkeye: What if it's another "Hundred Years" war?
B.J.: Get another sock. What was that war about?
Hawkeye: About a hundred years.

Hendrix: Those guys are as good as Rembrandt.
Radar: Who?
Hendrix: You heard of him. The painter.
Radar: Oh, we have alluminum siding.

Hendrix: Hey, I can give you have a dozen reasons for gettin' tattoed... you look tough...
Radar: Yeah?
Hendrix: You fell GREAT...
Radar: Yeah, go ahead...
Hendrix: And the women won't leave you alone...
Radar: That's enough.

Radar: Um sir? What do you think about getting a tattoo?
Potter: Why? Do I need one?
Radar: Not you sir, me sir.
Potter: Oh.

Radar: Colonel wants to see you.
Margaret: Good.
Radar: Um, ma'am, do you mind if I ask you a question about your husband's body?
Margaret: What? !
Radar: Does it have any tattoos on it anywhere?
Margaret: You're sick!

B.J: Why a tattoo all of the sudden?
Radar: Because I'm tired of being a nobody, I wanna be the object of respect, fear, and sex.

Hawkeye: So what's it going to be Radar?
Radar: I think it oughta be "Mother"...
Hawkeye: Two scotch on the rocks, and a Grape Nehi for the expectant mother.
Radar: No, no, no, no, I'll have a beer!
B.J.: What? No Grape Nehi?
Radar: Guys with tattoos always drink beer!
Hawkeye: Radar, do you KNOW anybody who has a tattoo?
Radar: Just the guy over in Post-Op.
B.J.: Anybody else?
Radar: Uh, no, guys with tattoos don't pal around with guys like me.

Marine: Take my advice kid, don't get anything. It may be a shot in the arm now...
Hawkeye:[/b] A THOUSAND shots...
Marine: But one of these days you're gonna meet a cute dame, and she's gonna be crazy about ya, then you're gonna roll up your sleeve, and she's gonna see that STUPID tattoo, and the twinkle in her eye'll go right out the window.

B.J.: Klinger, you're next!
Klinger: Me? !
Hawkeye: Yeah, we're gonna have a zipper tattoed on your mouth!

Overall
Opinion: Fantastic episode! One of the best this season!

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Colonel Potter feels all personnel are out of shape, so, as inspired by Hawkeye and B.J. training an overweight Sergeant to slim down, and the 1952 Helsinki Olympics, Colonel Potter holds the first, and only annual M*A*S*H Olympics.

The M*A*S*H Olympics

Episode Information
Episode Number: 133 (6X11)
Original Airdate: November 22, 1977
Production Code: Y111
Writers: Ken Levine, David Isaacs
Director: Don Weis

The Plot
The 1952 Olympics of Helsinki makes for great water cooler talk, if the 4077th had a water cooler. But Hawkeye and B.J. soon find themselves with a challenge: staff Sergeant Ames learns the Army is kicking him out because he's morbidly obese, so Hawkeye and B.J. enlist themselves as Ames's personal trainers, "The Amazing Pierce and Hunnicutt Quick Loss Plan is famous! Simple diet and exercise: loose twenty pounds in ten days, if not completely satisfied, your blubber is cheerfully refunded!" This gives Klinger another idea for another scheme to get out of the Army: he's going to overeat his way to a discharge so he'll be too fat to be a good soldier. At this time, Margaret is excited over the news that her husband, Lieutenant Colonel Donald Penobscott will be driving into camp later today to pick her up for R&R, but before she can prepare, the personnel must race out into the compound to help flip over a turned-over ambulance. With everyone trying their best, they are unsuccessful, until four M.P.s from Rosie's Bar ride in and flip it over with no trouble; this disgusts Colonel Potter, as he sees just how out-of-shape the personnel really is, so against everyone's wishes, he starts mandatory morning Calisthenics, though he quickly sees it's not really going over too well, so he then comes up with the idea that since the Olympics are the big talk right now, that the 4077th will hold their own Olympics. With Hawkeye's Yellow Black Bird Team competing against B.J.'s Pink Elephant Team, the 4077th find themselves competing in such events as the Crutch Race, the Nurse Carry, and finally the dreaded obstacle course. In the end, Hawkeye's team wins, thus B.J. must push him around in the wheel chair for the rest of the week, but at least there is some good news for everyone: Sergeant Ames made it by three whole ounces, and can stay in the Army... to celebrate: pig out in the Mess Tent.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S

* The second, and last on-screen appearance of Donald Penobscott, who visits Margaret at the 4077th so they can spend R&R together. Mike Henry plays him in this episode, unlike "Margaret's Marriage", where Beeson Carroll plays him.

* Hawkeye's team was named the Yellow Blackbirds, while B.J.'s team was named the Pink Elephants.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: overeat to gain enough weight that he's considered too fat to be in the Army. He calls it "Food for Freedom", while Colonel Potter calls it "Suicide by Salami".

"Deleted" Scenes
* After Colonel Potter tries to suggest some places for Margaret and Penobscott to go to on their R&R, syndication cuts straight to Hawkeye and B.J. walking into the Swamp for a belt, while discussing athletics, thus cutting out the very brief scene where Hawkeye and B.J. layouts out where they want Sergeant Ames to jog.

* Any reference Margaret makes to her not being able to have a good time when Donald arrives has been cut.

* After Colonel Potter announces each member of the winning team wins three days of R&R, syndication fades to a commercial. This cuts out Colonel Potter appointing Hawkeye and B.J. as team captains, and them later make a bet: the captain of the losing team has to push the winner around in a wheel chair for a week.

* Throughout the episode, old clips from the 1952 Olympics are inserted to compare to the events the camp partakes in, however, a few of these clips have been cut out for time.

Top Scenes
* The opening sequence where Hawkeye and B.J. appoint themselves personal trainers while Klinger learns that you can be discharged from the service for being overweight... so, he starts over eating.

* Klinger then presenting himself to Colonel Potter with a giant salami in one hand, and a giant loaf of French bread in the other, proclaiming "Fifty more pounds, and I'm homeward bound!"

* Colonel Potter enlisting the aid of the entire staff to lift up a turned-over ambulance, only to see them fail, while four M.P.s do it with a breeze, to which Hawkeye remarks "Ah, it's all done with mirrors!"

* The camp being less-than-delighted for morning calisthenics while Hawkeye and B.J. try to whip them into shape.

* The crutch race scene! Especially when Father Mulcahy tries, pitifully, to balance himself on both crutches as he kickes his feet in mid-air before landing on his back.

* Any and all scenes involving Margaret in her pair of short shorts.

* The closing sequence where B.J. pushes Hawkeye around The Compound in a wheelchair, while Hawkeye wishes to be pushed all the way up to The Chopper Pad so he can "look down upon his kingdom".

Top Lines
B.J.: Hawkeye, what you know about sports would fit on the tip of a javelin.
Hawkeye: Oh yeah? What makes YOU such an expert.
B.J.: My two varsity letters!
Hawkeye: (Laughs) Two letters and a scholarship!
B.J.: YOU? An ATHELETIC scholarship?
Hawkeye: That's right, the coach's daughter paid me to leave her alone!

Klinger: Fifty more pounds, and I'm homeward bound!
Potter: You're going to eat your way to a discharge?
Klinger: I call it "Food for Freedom"!
Potter: I call it "Suicide by Salami"!

Mulcahy: Colonel, an ambulance has turned over in The Compound, you better come right away!
Potter: Anybody hurt?
Mulcahy: Well the driver's a bit confused, but he'll be alright.
Potter: No one else inside?
Mulcahy: No.
Potter: Thank God.
Mulcahy: I already did.

Potter: You people are in sorry shape. This is a MOBILE hospital, if we ever have to bug out, you won't be able to lift a tent pole!
Charles: I'm a SURGEON, I'm not a circus rustabout!
Hawkeye: You're a CLOWN.
Charles: You're a bafoon.
Hawkeye: Bozo!

Hawkeye: Wait a minute, wait a minute, uh, you in the woodwin section?
Charles: Brass.
Hawkeye: Why aren't you playing toe-touchies?
Charles: Gentlemen, we're all just fooling ourselves here.
B.J.: Isn't that what the Army's all about?

Potter: (Over the P.A.) Ten-hut to all you mopes! This is Colonel Potter, your C.O., the guy who set up this little wingding, remember me? Couldn't help but notice that some of your are less-than-delighted with the program, well, we're going to straighten all that out. Those of you who still have the energy will report to The Mess Tent right now, those of you who DON'T have the energy will report three minutes earlier... same to you.

Klinger: Sir? Do anything, but don't yell...
Potter: QUIET!

Potter: Remember... no jabbing, tripping, or blocking!
Hawkeye: Well, there goes our game plan!

B.J.: Alright, Margaret, you wanted to say a few words?
Margaret: Yes, thank you Captain... YOU PEOPLE STINK! YOU'RE SLOW, YOU'RE LAZY, YOU HAVE NO SPIRIT! DO B.J. AND I HAVE TO CARRY THIS WHOLE CRUMMY TEAM? NOW I WANT YOU TO GET OUT THERE AND FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT! LET'S TAKE IT TO THEM, LET'S CUT OUT THEIR HEARTS, LET'S WIN! Thank you Captain.

Charles: So this is Lieutenant Colonel Donald Penobscott?
Margaret: Yes! Oh, you two haven't met yet!
Hawkeye: Donald Penobscott, meet Daddy Warbucks.
Margaret: This is our new surgeon, Major Charles Emerson Winchester.
Donald: Pleasure to meet you, Charlie!
Charles: I... I've heard a lot about you... "Donnie"...

Donald: Margaret, we still have seven whole days!
Margaret: If you haven't been showing off, we could've had TEN whole days!
Donald: You can't go on like this just because I lost a dog-gone race!
Margaret:[/colo] "A race"? ! "A race"? ! That wasn't just "a race", that was the Olympics!

Hawkeye: Wheel me up to The Chopper Pad, Hives, I wanna look down upon my kingdom!
B.J.: SO happy you're not taking advantage!
Hawkeye: You're lucky I don't wanna go to Seoul!

Overall
Opinion: One of my favorite episodes!

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

A visiting Colonel who always makes accurate predictions about how many casualties will arrive with each wave at the 4077th annoys Hawkeye.

The Grim Reaper

Episode Information
Episode Number: 134 (6X12)
Original Airdate: November 29, 1977
Production Code: Y110
Writers: Burt Prelutsky
Director: George Tyne

The Plot
Main Storyline: Colonel Bloodworth is very good at calculating how many casualties will be the result of an offense... a little TOO good... especially when our troops plan to overtake Hill 403, which is owned by the enemy, and predicts the 4077th will have a grand total of 280 wounded soldiers in less than twenty-four hours. Hawkeye is outraged by this Colonel, whom he calls "The Grim Reaper" because of how much he loves his job, so much in fact, that he slams Bloodworth up against a wall in The Officers' Club; with that said and done, Bloodworth feels it necessary to have Hawkeye court-martialed for hitting a superior officer, but when Bloodworth ends up being wounded himself, and sees what a gifted and dedicated surgeon he is, he drops the charges.
Subplot One: Charles shares a fine dinner with Margaret in her tent consisting of caviar, truffles, and a rotten, canned pheasant, which makes the both of them terribly sick... so much in fact that Charles ends up passing out in O.R. during the middle of a surgery. B.J. then has to take over the surgery for Charles, and as "payment", the patient, who is a chopper pilot, gives B.J. his leather jacket; naturally, Charles feels the jacket is rightfully his since the pilot was HIS patient.
Subplot Two: Corporal Klinger ends up bonding with a new patient in Post-Op, who just happens to be from his hometown - Toledo, Ohio. After reminiscing about the good old days, and him offering Klinger a matchbook from The Trianon, in the end, the patient is sent home, and sends Klinger a shipment of Paco's Hungarian Hotdogs.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twelfth episode of Season Six, it was the tenth produced.

* The storyline of Bloodworth presses charges against Hawkeye, but drops them when realizing what a terrific surgeon he is, is a remake of the storyline from "Of Moose and Men" from Season Four, in which a colonel wants to press charges against Hawkeye for his unmilitary behavior, but realizes he's a good surgeon, and decides to drop the charges.

* This episode also plays a lot like latter episodes, which drama overshadows the comedy, and Hawkeye becomes preachy about the horrors of war and casualties.

* Father Mulcahy only has one line in this episode.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The opening sequence where Colonel Bloodworth tells about his predictions and calculations to Colonel Potter while Hawkeye and B.J. play with yarn has been nicked for time.

* The brief scene with Hawkeye and B.J. heading back for The Swamp while Hawkeye shares his digust of Bloodworth with B.J. has been cut.

* Charles's dinner with Margaret has been nicked for time.

Top Scenes
* Hawkeye and B.J. nearly drooling over Charles's meal, only to have him leave them hanging and share it with Margaret instead, though they both end up getting a tummy ache from eating a rotten pheasant.

* Margaret starting to hiccup in O.R. while Hawkeye and B.J. start to tease her by fake hiccuping.

* Klinger meeting up with his fellow Toledan in Post-Op, then spends the rest of the episode crying from being home sick for his own hometown.

Top Lines
B.J.: Chow?
Charles: Not "chow", masterpieces of the culinary arts!
Hawkeye: Right, chow!

B.J.: What's that stuff?
Charles: Haven't you ever seen truffles before?
B.J.: Nobody knows the truffles I've seen.
Charles: :rolleyes:

Charles: Tonight's menu begins with beluga caviar, followed by truffles... nobody knows the truffles I've seen.
Margaret: What?
Charles: I should've known...

Margaret: Uh, is this the way this pheasant is supposed to taste? It tastes funny...
Charles: Oh Margaret, I assure you, this is how a pheasant is supposed to taste... it IS, after all, a game bird!
Margaret: Well, I'm game too!

Potter: This is a very serious charge here, Bloodworth says you hit him. Now that's ridiculous, you didn't hit him, did you Pierce?
Hawkeye: Who me? I might have grabbed him, pushed him, shoved him, but the wall hit him.
Potter: Pierce, if you were my son, we'd be on our way to the woodshed.

Charles: (After seeing Klinger cry) Menopause?
Hawkeye: Toledo heartburn.

Overall
Opinion: There really isn't much reason for watching this episode.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Hawkeye and Margaret are volunteered to demonstrate new surgical techniques for the 8063rd, only to find they have bugged out, and seek shelter in an abandoned hut behind enemy lines. Part 1 of two.

Comrades In Arms -- Part 1

Episode Information
Episode Number: 135 (6X13)
Original Airdate: December 6, 1977
Production Code: Y116
Writers: Alan Alda
Directors: Alan Alda, Burt Metcalfe

The Plot
Colonel Potter receives word from the 8063rd that they heard about the 4077th's successful arterial transplant, and would like their best surgeon to pay them a visit to demonstrate how they perfected the technique; so saying, Colonel Potter volunteers Hawkeye for the "business trip" to the 8063rd, while Margaret volunteers to assist him being The Head Nurse and all. Supplied with medical equipment, Charles's caviar, and a letter from Donald Penobscott which seemingly upsets Margaret, the two speed off for the 8063rd, only to be met with mortar fire; back at the 4077th, Corporal Klinger, B.J., and Colonel Potter learn that the enemy is attacking and the 8063rd ending up bugging out before Hawkeye and Margaret could get there. Hawkeye and Margaret start speeding for home when their jeep suddenly breaks down, and neither one of them know how to fix it, and a batallion of North Koreans are fast approaching, so saying, they grab their medical supplies and duck into some shrubery as the North Koreans manage to fix the jeep and steal it. While Colonel Potter sends out a search party for the two, Hawkeye and Margaret decide to seek shelter in an old abandoned hut; things really get worse when the shelling gets even closer, and a chunk of wood is lodged into Hawkeye's leg, so Margaret takes it out for him, while Colonel Potter continues to dog people over the phone to search for them. As night falls, Hawkeye proposes he and Margaret set aside their differences for one night, and asks her to let her frustration out, as she confides in him that her letter from Donald was meant for another woman named Darlene, whom he apparently is having an affair with; the night grows longer, the shelling grows worse, Hawkeye and Margaret's fear escalate, and try to seek comfort from each other, and end up making out with each other.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the thirteenth episode of Season Six, it was the sixteenth produced.

* Hawkeye, at one point, says "Don't blame me, I didn't write this stuff"; interestingly enough, Alan Alda was the one who wrote this episode (and part two), so technically, he DID.

* Margaret brings up Dr. Borelli teaching Hawkeye how to perform an aterial transplant. Borelli's first appearance was in "The Consultant" from Season Three, and would make a few more appearances in later seasons; he was played by Alan Alda's father, Robert Alda.

* This episode marks the biggest change in Hawkeye and Margaret's professional, and personal relationship, as they slowly start treating each more like friends, as opposed to just colleagues in the middle of a war.

* A lot of fans note Hawkeye and Margaret doing it as one of the biggest "jump the shark" moments of the series.

* GOOF: While descending the hill towards the hut, Loretta Swit slips on the dirt for a brief second before resuming her walk.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The only scene deleted from this episode is where Charles happens to be in Colonel Potter's office when a big brass calls them, and he tries to negociate his way out of the 4077th, only to be hung up on.

Top Scenes

Top Lines
Potter: I'm sending Pierce.
Hawkeye: I thought you said volunteers?
Potter: I was breaking it to you gently.

Hawkeye: (After their jeep is stolen) I hope you're not blaming me for that.
Margaret: How can a grown man be so mechanically incompetent? !
Hawkeye: I took a lot of cabs.

Potter: (On the phone) You're AFRAID that's impossible? Try not to be afraid Captain, you're supposed to be a soldier.

Hawkeye: (Sings) Peas, peas, peas, peas, eating goober peas / goodness how delicious / eating...
Margaret: WILL YOU STOP THAT? !

Overall
Opinion: Not one of Alan Alda's better scripts.

THE END

Oscarfan

Reaction score
If that's not obsessive fandom, I don't know what is.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Conclusion. The search for Hawkeye and Margaret continues as they remain behind enemy lines in an abandoned hut in each other's arms.

Comrades In Arms -- Part 2

Episode Information
Episode Number: 136 (6X14)
Original Airdate: December 13, 1977
Production Code: Y117
Writers: Alan Alda
Directors: Alan Alda, Burt Metcalfe

The Plot
Tension increases in The O.R. the next morning with the absence of Chief Surgeon Hawkeye Pierce, and Head Nurse Margaret Houlihan, who are still seeking refuge inside the abandoned hut; though Hawkeye is still in his normal frame of mind, Margaret is suddenly uncharacteristically friendly towards Hawkeye, especially after their one-night-stand the night before with her blowing kisses to him, fixing him breakfast of crackers and jam, and showering him with compliments of secret admiration, while Hawkeye, for fear of getting off on the wrong foot with her again, reluctantly showers her with compliments as well. Back at the 4077th, B.J. lasoes Aylesworth, one of the camp's chopper pilots to search the countryside by chopper for the two, only to be shot at by the same band of North Koreans that stole Hawkeye and Margaret's jeep the day before. B.J. and Aylesworth return to the 4077th with the co-ordinates, so Colonel Potter orders the 8063rd to send out another search party as they return to their post while the North Koreans retreat. Hawkeye and Margaret steal away from the hut and find themselves huddled together in shrubery during a rainstorm, where Hawkeye makes a BIG mistake - as Margaret continues to shower him with compliments, she asks him how they're going to explain their affair to Donald, to which he replies "What do you usually tell him?" Margaret suddenly feels insulted and betrayed just as surgeons from the 8063rd finally find them; so saying, Hawkeye and Margaret are finally able to demonstrate their aterial transplant for them, and bicker again as they do so. Later that evening, the rest of the staff at the 4077th throw Hawkeye and Margaret a big welcome home party, only to have Margaret knock Hawkeye out while he overdoes his expression of appreciation for being found, so as the night wears on, he tries to patch things up between Margaret, and asks her if they can't be friends, instead of hate each other, to which she agrees, as she shares her letter to Donald, addressed to one "Hank", thanking him for comforting her when she was afraid, and giving her the courage to share her feelings more with those around her.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the fourteenth episode of Season Six, it was the seventeenth produced.

* The clips from part one during the opening sequence have the laugh track omitted.

* Margaret mentions Frank Burns in this episode.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The only scene cut from this episode is B.J. convincing Hawkeye to try to talk things out with Margaret.

Top Scenes

Top Lines
Margaret: A continental breakfast.
Hawkeye: Of the continent of Atlantis.
Margaret: The what?
Hawkeye: That's the one that sunk.
Margaret: Oh yeah, that's like a joke.
Hawkeye: Similar.

Potter: Listen you nitwits, you are in so much trouble, you're going to need a lawyer just to land again!

Overall
Opinion: Not one of Alan Alda's better scripts.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Charles feels his lending B.J. $200 entitles him to small favors in return.

The Merchant of Korea

Episode Information
Episode Number: 137 (6x15)
Original Airdate: December 20, 1977
Production Code: Y118
Writers: Ken Levine, David Isaacs
Directors: William Jurgensen

The Plot
During a heatwave, B.J. receives a telegram from Peggy back home, letting him know that a proprietor of some land in Simpson's Beach in Mill Valley outside of San Fransisco is ready to sell to the Hunnicutts as long they come up with $200 for down payment by the 15th; realizing that's today, B.J. is desperate to get Peggy the money, but doesn't have it, and the only person in camp with a significant amount of money to spare is Charles, who reluctantly loans B.J. the money. Afterwards, B.J. notices Charles is suddenly asking a series of small favors from him like closing up a patient for him, or fetching him cups of coffee; things really go from bad to worse when a snafu occurs with the payroll, which results in only the enlistedmen being paid for the weel, which means it'll take B.J. even longer to pay back Charles, which means Charles will continue to take advantage of B.J. Charles moves up to Hawkeye later, when he doesn't have enough money to pay off his tab at The Officers' Club, so Charles pays it off for him... and in return, demands Hawkeye to bring him a beer after his duties in Post-Op. B.J. then cooks up a wild scheme to get back at Charles by challenging him to an all-night-long poker binge, though unfortunately, Charles ends up winning every single hand, which causes the scheme to backfire, until they do something thinking and realize Charles's annoying whistling gets louder the worse his hand is. In the, Charles is wiped out, except for the amounts that Hawkeye and B.J. paid back, as well as the small amounts they loan him during the final round of poker, which they feel entitles them to a series of small favors from him.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the fifteenth episode of Season Six, it was the eighteenth produced.

* A goof past the censors as Margaret walks out of Radar's office, much of her bare breast can be seen for a few frames.

* GOOF: Father Mulcahy mentions wanting to write a "big finish" for this week's sermon, yet why would he bother, considering nobody even shows up for his sermons?

"Deleted" Scenes
* The scene in The O.R. where Charles has B.J. close his patient for him has been cut, resulting in NO O.R. scene for this episode in syndication, which violates Alan Alda's contract.

* Charles demanding B.J. get him some coffee has been nicked for time.

* Hawkeye and B.J. walking towards The Mess Tent, while Hawk tries to convince B.J. that Charles's phase is no big deal has been cut.

Top Scenes
* Hawkeye and B.J. trying to ferment their drinks without completely boiling it in the unbearable heat, with the side of The Swamp now converted into a little covered porch.

* B.J. showing Charles photos of his and Peggy's new property, while he lies in bed completely uninterested.

* Margaret barking at Donald on the phone in Radar's office about not being able to send him any money for the month, while he refuses to send some to her, all the while Radar feels he's being pushed out of his own office.

* Hawkeye teasing B.J. about being "childish and chicken" towards Charles, only to have B.J. tease Hawkeye right back after Charles orders him to bring him a beer after his Post-Op duties.

* The all-night poker game in The Officers' Club.

Top Lines
Radar: How can you sirs do that to you, sirs?
Hawkeye: Everybody's gotta have a hobby, Radar.
B.J.: Our's is committing suicide.

B.J.: A telegram? It's in Korean...
Radar: No, that's my handwriting.

Margaret: Oh Colonel... uh, Donald and I were merely...
Potter: Say no more Major, why don't you hold back a few dollars from your pay?
Margaret: From now on I will.
Potter: You're learning.
Margaret: I appreciate the advice, sir.
Potter: Advice is cheap.
Radar: So are "Colonel Donalds".

Zale: Look like you're going to be my only business this week sir, what'll you have?
Charles: A little peace and quiet... (Turns radio off)
Zale: Hey, what'd you do that for? That was Manana!
Charles: Frankly, Sergeant, that aboriginal noise that you call "music" makes me want to upchuck. Don't you have any Rachmaninoff?
Zale: Nah. We don't get any vodka here, sir.

B.J.: Let's find another Officers' Club.
Hawkeye: Come on, is he still bothering you?
B.J.: Yes, he is.
Hawkeye: That's childish and chicken!
B.J.: Is not.
Hawkeye: Is too.
B.J.: Is not.
Hawkeye: Is too, childish-and-chicken-childish-and-chicken!

Hawkeye: It's 120 degrees, why aren't you sweating?
Charles: In the first place, I don't swear, I prespire, and in the second place, I don't prespire.

Hawkeye: I have the uneasy feeling I've just been had.
B.J.: Perhaps that's because you've just been had.
Hawkeye: He actually ORDERED me to get him a beer!
B.J.: You actually said "Anytime"!
Hawkeye: THE NERVE OF THAT GUY!
B.J.: You're just being childish and chicken.
Hawkeye: I am not!
B.J.: Are too.
Hawkeye: Am not!
B.J.: Are too, childish-and-chicken-childish-and-chicken!

Klinger: Halt! Who goes there?
Hawkeye: Ask me NICELY.
Klinger: (Nicely) Captain Pierce?

Potter: Radar?
Radar: (Asleep) Buzz off!
Potter: Radar!
Radar: Buzz off, I'm sleeping! (Wakes up) Colonel! Oh, I'm sorry sir, I don't know who I'm buzzing off when I'm asleep!
Potter: Quite alright, son, I want to take you up on that loan.
Radar: NOW?
Potter: A hot poker game waits for no man!
Radar: Ooh, how hot is it sir?
Potter: Major Winchester's sitting in.
Radar: Major Winchester? Gee sir, is it okay if I save some so I can get in it?
Potter: Radar, around our house, we always carve the ham equally.
Radar: That's wonderful sir, is it okay if I save some so I can get in it?
Of course, I should've found a way to tell you that.

Klinger: Look at him, he doesn't sweat... I never saw anybody who doesn't sweat.
B.J.: Sure you have, in the reptile house.

Charles: Well, it looks as if I've been taken to the perverbial cleaner.
Hawkeye: (Mocking Charles's accent) You've been perverbialbly washed, dried, folded, and put in the dryer.
Charles: Oh Pierce, I've spent more than this on a late-night-snack at home.
B.J.: You know, you gotta admire a guy who takes it so well.
Charles: I am a Winchester, Hunnicutt, a Winchester.

B.J.: (On the phone) Yeah, I got the bottle of dirt right with me. It's JUST as I remembered... we'll start building the day I get home! (Laughs) Okay, the SECOND day. It's ours Peg, ALL ours. Yeah. I love you sweetheart. Give Erin a kiss for me... AND the dog... until then. Bye Peg.

Overall
Opinion: Not only is this one of my favorite episodes from Season Six, it's both my favorite heatwave episode, AND my favorite poker episode.

THE END

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If that's not obsessive fandom, I don't know what is.
Not really. Ain't you ever done episode reviews of your favorite shows before? It's quite common. I used to do Sesame Street episode reviews all the time, but I had to stop because everybody else started doing their own before I had a chance to review new episodes, so the competition kind of wiped me out.