D'Snowth's Unfinished Thoughts... on LIFE...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay... I have just read the SMARTEST YouTube comment EVER, and it's prompted this week's topic: Where the Elmo is our world going?

Now, I admit that sometimes I'll click on a video at YouTube simply to read the comments, because half the time, the comments are more entertaining than the video itself, but for the first time, I've actually read a comment that was not only the smartest comment on YouTube I've ever read, but it surprisingly had thumbs up into thehundredds; here what the comment said:

has anyone else notice how our generation movies are friends withe benefits no strings attach, and others that has to do with just sex. now its an orgy movie.im scared of the next generation.
Now, don't worry, I'll spare my usual sex lectures, but one thing I've constantly been worried about is what the fate of the world will be in the hands of our future generations, not just as far as reckless and selfish sexual behavior is concerned. What are some of the popular pasttimes for today's troubled youth? Getting drunk, getting high, getting smashed, getting banged, getting hazed, yadda-yadda-yadda. And turn on TV, and what's constantly in the news these days? Kids having uncontrolable parties where someone's death is inevitable, kids running around killing their own parents or grandparents, kids running around causing riots and flash mobs, kids running around breaking into malls and stores and running off with goods, kids running around and burning down people's homes and livelihoods because they think it's a joke, etc, etc, etc.

And these are the hands that our future is in... what in the world is the world going to be like in the next generations to come?! Of course the real problem is that these kids learn from those who enable them, and who enables them? Their own slacker parents who don't give a crap about what their kids do, mainly because they probably had those kids by "accident" in the first place; as much as I tend to spout off about that kind of selfish and reckless sexual behavior, that's how much my mother spouts off about careless (in more ways than one) parents of today, you can't drive with her, and see a kid walking down the street by his/herself, without her going into her usual, "Doesn't his/her mother know he's/she's out here by his/herself? Someone could just come along and snatch him/her, and that'll be the last anybody sees him/her!"

And even more is that more people are born in this country than they die, so each generation continues to increase vastly in the numbers: if my generation looks somewhat bleak, and that gets passed along into our current generation which looks hopeless, what are our future generations going to look like? Especially as far as advances in technology goes, because let's face it, like they constantly say on the news whenever stuff like this happens, social networking is to blame for fueling the chaos, pretty much: so many youngens rely on the media, whether it's what they learn from watching these trite and tasteless movies or TV shows that Hollywood seems to think are goldmines, or the kind of tweets they read on Twitter or Facebook or whatever.

I know so many people out there love to predict the end of time, and there are still several out there who believe the world will end in 2012, but the fact of the matter is, we will never know exactly when the world will end, because God isn't telling anyone when He plans for it to... He isn't even telling Jesus, and if Jesus doesn't know, we sure don't, though at the same time, God never promises tomorrow will come, for all we know, the world could very well end tomorrow. But, I digress, people talk about signs that the "end time" is near, and that we're living in the final days... with the future generations we're going to be faced with, it wouldn't surprise me that this could very be the end days of this earth.

Of course, I'm GENERALIZING here... I'm not saying that ALL young people out there are like that, I know there are some fine and outstanding young people out there, who do want to do something with their lives, and do something worthwhile, who do want to make a difference in the world, who do want to lead by example, etc... all I can say si I wish there were more young people out there like them.

TSSD

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that people my age suck, because the majority of them do, but to be fair,there have always been people like that, in every generation. Then most of them eventually grow up and get their sh*t together. There have always been slacker parents too, and their kids sometime realize how stupid they were, and raise their kids better. And if they don't? Then they become the slacker parents of the next generation, and the cycle continues. But for every slacker parent you find, there are 10 or 20 great parents thinking they're idiots. I will admit though, that there's no excuse for the retarded TV shows they watch. The fact that people look up to 4 foot tall Oompa Loompas is disgusting. There was actually an article in my school newspaper last year talking about how stupid those shows are, and the few people that actually read it, laughed at "how stupid it was". But again, hopefully they'll eventually realize how stupid they are, and look up to intelligent people. There is hope for my generation. Every generation has had idiots and most have outgrown it. Will this generation? Beats me, but I sure hope so.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree with TSSD that there have always been teenagers who like to go out and party and make unwise decisions. Most of them do eventually grow up and find other things to satisfy in life.

As far as pop culture and entertainment, we're just going through a repeat of the 1950's. Back then Television was the new kid on the block and as a result the quality of movies started to suffer. Today the Internet is the golden boy and Television and movies are suffering.

Eventually someone will manage to combine the Internet and the Television successfully and we'll be able to have more of a say as to what appears on our screens. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The problem with teenagers is rebellion. Its always been that way. Tell them not to drink, they get wasted. Tell them to use protection, they get some girl pregnant.

On the other side, if you try to raise your kid to be rebellous against the "norm," kinda like the american punk movement, your kid is more likely to want to dress in whats in style and be with the in crowd.

I'm not saying it applies to everyone, but as a general rule, teens will do the exact opposite of what you say. I'd be lying if I said I'm not a rebellous teen. I'm not a partier and I'm not dumb enough to get into trouble like some people, but I have resisted my mom's constant wanting of me to be a preppy girly girl, instead dressing like a boy (not so far as to look like a boy though :stick_out_tongue:)

newsmanfan

Reaction score
I agree with TSSD that there have always been teenagers who like to go out and party and make unwise decisions. Most of them do eventually grow up and find other things to satisfy in life.

As far as pop culture and entertainment, we're just going through a repeat of the 1950's. Back then Television was the new kid on the block and as a result the quality of movies started to suffer. Today the Internet is the golden boy and Television and movies are suffering.

Eventually someone will manage to combine the Internet and the Television successfully and we'll be able to have more of a say as to what appears on our screens. :smile:
How funny. I was thinking the same thing...James Dean, "all them kids hopped up on goofballs!", as the MST guys put it! Every generation has its share of Peter Pans who never grow up...they're called narcissists, guys. And yes, most people do get a reality check and adjust their behavior/outlook accordingly. Does the casual sex worry me? Only because it's usually unprotected and/or done on drugs. I'm not going to moralize over how someone chooses to view their sex or love life...just avoid tho0se whose views don't coincide with mine! But the drugs and the lack of forethought does lead to the recent resurgence of AIDS and other STDs as well as unwanted pregnancies.

As far as overpopulation...well...statistically we're overdue for a major plague, and I'm not talking bird flu. I mean a supervirus, maybe some previously-unknown strain which escapes from the thawing not-so-permafrost in the Arctic regions as global climate change worsens, something which moves so fast and so ruthlessly that 25-50% of the entire human population is wiped out. That's not even mentioning the famines and diseases going on right now in places like central Africa. Nature (and totalitarianism) has a way of thinning the herd...we're just helping it along. Go read "Hot Zone" and tell me it doesn't scare the frog outta you. :concern:
-----------------------------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But the drugs and the lack of forethought does lead to the recent resurgence of AIDS and other STDs as well as unwanted pregnancies.
The US has started to get too complacent about AIDS. Yes it's good that we've made medical advances as far as treating the disease, but it caused a lot of people to think the danger is over. But the reality is there still is no cure and what if you can't afford the medications? Or if your partner didn't bother telling you that they've infected you?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Agree with what everyone else said , that how teens are even i had my rebelious tendencies when i was 13, also remember that when it comes to the Media and reporting this stuff the Bad sells, the head line "Drunk teen kills X and Has 5 kids" sells better than "Teen does good things and never influenced"...terrible titles i know but my brain just woke up

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Agree with what everyone else said , that how teens are even i had my rebelious tendencies when i was 13, also remember that when it comes to the Media and reporting this stuff the Bad sells, the head line "Drunk teen kills X and Has 5 kids" sells better than "Teen does good things and never influenced"...terrible titles i know but my brain just woke up
Actually I like those titles. Wonder what would happen if I used them in a News Flash??
--------------------------------------