D'Snowth's Unfinished Thoughts... on LIFE...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If you haven't been to such a school yet, then you don't know that it wouldn't be helpful. :wink:
You missed the point. Not everybody who's in television, or got into television went to school to learn how to produce television shows... and if they were able to go that route, why can't I? Besides, like I said, I learn by doing.

Plus, newer isn't always better, and I don't intend on making 3D or "HD" shows or anything... in fact, like with the new Winnie the Pooh movie, or even previously with Ed, Edd n Eddy when it was on the air, I want my shows to be done old-fashioned, like back when television was actually good.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You missed the point. Not everybody who's in television, or got into television went to school to learn how to produce television shows... and if they were able to go that route, why can't I? Besides, like I said, I learn by doing.
Many of them didn't have any choice; they had to make it on their own. And if they didn't go to school, they had to work hard for years to make up for it somehow and gain that experience other ways. And they were extremely lucky. You never hear about the people who were just as talented but didn't make it.

Plus, newer isn't always better, and I don't intend on making 3D or "HD" shows or anything... in fact, like with the new Winnie the Pooh movie, or even previously with Ed, Edd n Eddy when it was on the air, I want my shows to be done old-fashioned, like back when television was actually good.
I can understand that and I'm not talking about "newer is better." I'm just saying in any industry it is important to receive the proper training. Even if you want to do things the old fashioned way, which is fine, a lot of the old equipments, terms and methods don't exist anymore. You can make old fashioned entertainment, but you have to use modern methods, and know how to use them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
a lot of the old equipments, terms and methods don't exist anymore.
I wouldn't bank on that... it's clear that the 2010s is going to be the decade of comebacks... after all, records have made a comeback... hopefully things like 35mm film can as well.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
while that's somewhat true i doubt film will make a comeback..digital media is much easier to transport and store away.and takes a quarter of the space Film takes up, what took maybe 5 film can reels to edit together now takes 1 maybe 2 digital cards or hard drives..its also much eaiser to edit that editing tape to tape or film ( ive done them all)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'll agree it may be easier with digital technology, but the overall quality isn't as superior: a lot of it is that whole newer-is-better hype, but it takes a keen eye to see the real difference. You look at something that was shot on 35mm (properly mastered and such), and something that's "HD", and you'll see a difference, but not the kind the hype makes it out to be.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
quality wise ill agree with you

but also if James Cameron, one of the main guys behind all this 3D is best junk, he is currently rallying and campaigning so that 24 frames per second will be gone soon too and it will be a distant memory from younger days .as he wants all movies to be shot at 32 frames per second which is basically impossible( as far as the human eye can see and our brains can comprehend)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I wonder who died and made James Cameron God.

Nothing will ever be completely gone. In addition to records, and the new Winnie the Pooh movie, there's all kinds of campaigns and groups rallying to bring back analog transmissions, and groups to keep local community/public access television alive (which is also on the verge of exstinction).

Besides, there's already a format that can capture and project at 30 fps (just two short): video tape, it may be inferior to what film was, but video tape technology had improved since it's inception in the 70s (like looking at an episode of Sanford and Son, compared to an episode of SST before they switched to "HD").

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
3D this, HD that. Blah. No one freakin cared about 3D for 50 so years, now its the big thing? I dont wanna hear technology improved 3D. Now everything has to be in 3D. Movies, video games, there are 3D televisions...its just insane. They are literally cramming 3D down our throats. neither of my local theaters show movies in 3D. Plus, yeah, in a theater the 3D might be good (I wouldnt know), anything released on home dvd would be watched in an eye searing purple tint.

That, and what about people with glasses? They either have to somehow put the 3D glasses over or under their normal glasses, and it just looks obnoxious and is quite uncomfortable for said person. I dont know about theater glasses, but when you get those flimsy cardboard glasses with home movies, they just barely fit on your face to begin with. Adding actual glasses complicates things. The two times I watched Coraline in 3D, I had to resort to taking off my glasses and being a foot away from my computer screen, because apparently 3D sucks on tvs that arent LCD. I'm still watching TV on good old full screen, SD, glass screen tvs, which have just as good a picture as an lcd screen. Heck, my tv which is about 10 years old , watching something properly mastered, looks comparable to an HD tv. Yes, there is a difference, but its not big enough for me to shell out 300 bucks for a decent sized HD tv when mine works perfectly fine.

If you cant tell, I'm against 3D.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------------------------
3D is a gimmick, always was, always will be. I haven't bothered. I have a friend who has an eye condition which limits her vision, uncorrectable, and she is physically unable to watch 3D stuff as it just gives her a migraine. So I'd say...elitist gimmick. Unnecessary. As is sped-up film speed.

Is technology grand? Sure. But "new" is not synonymous with "improved!"
-----------------------------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's bizarre, because in an old retromercial I found on an old tape that was a trailer for Home Alone in 1991, the ad started with this: "Fads come and go... hula-hoops... pet rocks... 3D... pet turtles..." Thats just that... 3D is a fad that comes and goes... in a sense, it itself is a comeback.

Another main problem is they keep "improving" technology so rapidly, nobody can keep the **** up with it... no sooner is something the "newest, bestest thing", then once you're finally able to afford it and purchase,it's "obsolete"... it's gotten so bad, places like Best Buy have had to start offers to customers that if they end up buying a computer, a TV, a phone, etc, that they discover is no longer "acceptable", they can reurn tthem and exchange them for the newer thing that is.

EDIT: Newsie ziffeled me again, lol.