D'Snowth's Unfinished Thoughts... on LIFE...

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i went to bible college myself..boy did i break a good chunk of those rules...but in my defense they have been the same since 1950 fun times

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I cant deny I got a good education, because I did. Grammar was a major part of school, actually, and come the grammar secon of my english 101 class in high school I was the only person who got an A and half the class failed...which is really sad.They were also teaching us high school algebra in 7th grade so I was ahead there too. (unfortunatly I cant do any math that doesnt have an X lol).

It just seems strange that when you are learning about compassion that no one shows it. cliques are everywhere but I swear the bullying is worse in christian schools...I guess because classes are small and its easier to target someone.

I am not athletic at all and in gym, I think I was put on the positions that you need to be athletic on purpose. Kickball was our teachers favorite game, and I was always put on 3rd base, which is where every ball comes. They were always screaming at me for missing and putting me down and the gym teacher didnt say anything about it.

But I showed them in dodgeball. This fat kid sure could move fast enough to dodge the ball XD I was always one of the first people targeted and one of the last ones out. Only problem was that I couldnt catch the ball...or throw it...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, as far as Christian schools are concerned, I was pulled out of public school after four weeks of high school, and was homeschooled instead, and I think just about all homeschooling is Christian/Creation-based education, so unlike public school, courses like Bible study and such were required subjects; History and Geography included a lot of Scripture-based material and such.

But hey... let's table the educational talk for now, that's NEXT week's subject. :stick_out_tongue:

Nick22

Reaction score
Well I won't withhold mine, hehe. I went to a Christian school. I got a good education. I was taught about World Religions, sex education and evolution. Even when to question the Bible. Uniforms prevented us from knowing who had money and who didn't. I am grateful for these things.

Not that it was perfect. There was a lot of bullying and cliques just like every school. And it was frustrating to learn about compassion and ethics while so little was being done about the bullying. But on the other hand, it certainly prepares you for the unfairness of real life. :wink:
That's exactly how I felt about my Catholic school! I got an amazing education and learned a lot of great thing. Even though there were some cliques, I was never rully targeted. I had a problem with a kid when I was in 5th and 6th grade, but it wasn't anything that made me feel left out. I had plenty of other friends.

My school also had uniforms, but still, everyone seemed to know how much money most families had because all the teachers at that school were NOSY! And mostly everything at that school was donated, so you could sort of tell by how much parents donated.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------------------------
All homeschooling is NOT religion based. A friend of mine homeschooled her kids (I taught biology for them, as she didn't have a strong science background), and she was very concerned for her kids to get the standard stuff. She just didn't want them being labeled "slow"...both are gifted and one is autistic. She herself is 140+ IQ and yet was labeled "remedial" by the idiot school system here! She was BORED, not stupid! I'm honestly glad she undertook the chore herself for her kids.

I know there are some church-based schools which don't ram religion down the students' throats and which actually provide a well-rounded ed...but those seem few and far between. Just like decent public schools these days, it seems. (Hey! How about some more CUTS to the education budget! Woo hoo!)

--------------------------------------

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------------------------
All homeschooling is NOT religion based. A friend of mine homeschooled her kids (I taught biology for them, as she didn't have a strong science background), and she was very concerned for her kids to get the standard stuff. She just didn't want them being labeled "slow"...both are gifted and one is autistic. She herself is 140+ IQ and yet was labeled "remedial" by the idiot school system here! She was BORED, not stupid! I'm honestly glad she undertook the chore herself for her kids.

I know there are some church-based schools which don't ram religion down the students' throats and which actually provide a well-rounded ed...but those seem few and far between. Just like decent public schools these days, it seems. (Hey! How about some more CUTS to the education budget! Woo hoo!)

--------------------------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
cliques are everywhere but I swear the bullying is worse in christian schools...I guess because classes are small and its easier to target someone.
I agree; you're with the same people over and over again, close quarters, it's inevitable.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, okay, I retract last week's topic... and uh, perhaps Kev or someone can defound the Friends of the Friendless Clud whenever they get the chance.

Anyway, here's this week's topic: education.

IS it the biggest scam going? That's what Frank Barone once said, but could it be true?

Grade school aside, what about what happens AFTER high school graduation? College? University? Technical institutes? Collegiate institutes? Vocational schools? They're all options, and they're all optional, but are there any true benefits to attending such educational facilities after you've served your time and paid your debt to society?

Times have really changed, in the old days, you couldn't get a job without a college education, you have to major in something, or at least get a bachelor's of some sort, and show people that you indeed receive an education, it seems to show the workforce that you're serious about making a living and a career for yourself... but what about nowadays? Something must have happened between now and then for people to change their minds... nowadays, it seems as if colleges and universitys serve no real purpose whatsoever.

In fact, most people I know, who are of my age and generation, if not a little younger, or a little older, who went to college, or attended a university, etc have told me that it was nothing but an absolute waste of time; even our own Ryan (not Prawnie, the other Ryan) vented his frustrations not too long ago regarding how college wasn't worth it for him. Even You-Know-Who whom I never directly refer to said college did nothing for her.

The problem is, however, that it's like the workforce has a love/hate relationship going on with education... on one hand, perspective employers don't seem to care whether or not you've got a fancy diploma with your name on it and everything, HOWEVER, some of those exact same employers want to send you BACK to school before they'll give you work. Take this for example: for those of you here who actually still follow my work and whatnot, that's one obstacle/stumbling block that's standing in the way from me getting Steve D'Monster & Friends into production, all these TV people want me to go back to school for six weeks or so to learn how to make a television show. The thing of it is, I don't need to go to school to learn how to make a television show, why should I? I mean, look at Sid & Marty Krofft - they literally worked from a book when they made H.R. Pufnstuf back in 1969... besides, I'm a firm believer that if you have a talent, that talent should be put to work, not sent back to school: I'm a self-taught puppeteer, I took a couple of courses in production when I was in middle school, so I have experience in that field, plus I've worked at PBS for a few years as well doing odd jobs, including production jobs (camera work, stage managing, stagehand, etc). Just tell me what to do, or show me how to do it, and I'll do it. I'm in a field that requires talent, not skill... now, if this were profession where skills are required, such as medicine, or law enforcement, then yeah, going back to school would make a compelling arguement. Any Tom, Dick, or J. Edgar can be a puppeteer, and twice as many can make a TV show (probably why there's so many useless reality shows on TV), but you really have to know your ins and outs in professions like surgery, or patrol. Professions like that would definitely need the extra education.

But again, what about the artists? The artists who have talent rather than skills? There's plenty of schools out there for medicine, law enforcement, law schools, yadda-yadda-yadda, but art schools are few and far between... in fact, there's only two I can think of off the top of my head: one in Savannah, Georgia, and one in Connecticut (where they actually offer puppetry as a course).

So... what exactly has college done for you? Did you even benefit from it? Or did it simply waste your time?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
The thing of it is, I don't need to go to school to learn how to make a television show, why should I? I mean, look at Sid & Marty Krofft - they literally worked from a book when they made H.R. Pufnstuf back in 1969... besides, I'm a firm believer that if you have a talent, that talent should be put to work, not sent back to school: I'm a self-taught puppeteer, I took a couple of courses in production when I was in middle school, so I have experience in that field, plus I've worked at PBS for a few years as well doing odd jobs, including production jobs (camera work, stage managing, stagehand, etc). Just tell me what to do, or show me how to do it, and I'll do it. I'm in a field that requires talent, not skill... now, if this were profession where skills are required, such as medicine, or law enforcement, then yeah, going back to school would make a compelling arguement. Any Tom, Dick, or J. Edgar can be a puppeteer, and twice as many can make a TV show (probably why there's so many useless reality shows on TV), but you really have to know your ins and outs in professions like surgery, or patrol. Professions like that would definitely need the extra education.

But again, what about the artists? The artists who have talent rather than skills? There's plenty of schools out there for medicine, law enforcement, law schools, yadda-yadda-yadda, but art schools are few and far between... in fact, there's only two I can think of off the top of my head: one in Savannah, Georgia, and one in Connecticut (where they actually offer puppetry as a course).

So... what exactly has college done for you? Did you even benefit from it? Or did it simply waste your time?
The reason most of these people tell you to go back to school isnt to spite you its so you do learn, take it from me i went to school for six years for film and television production and the year i graduated and basically everything i knew/know was already out dated
so much more new stuff goes into it these days that its mind boggling
my advice is dont scoff them off but really look into it even a night class at a local community college
im only saying this cause i see you complain about this one aspect some time but believe me its worth it to take the classes

and like you i also am a self taught puppeteer but, being self taught we missed out alot on, i remember back in the day i applied for a puppet job and they told me they would consider me if i took the Micheal Earl TV puppetry class, so i did, one of the best experiences of my life,not just because i got to tighten my skills as a puppeteer but because of the experience...the people i met i will never forget and the stories shared i wont forget either and i really do recommend it if you get the chance

as for college and my time, did i get a job right out of College? no, but , at the same time i dont know if i want a job in the tv field ,i did however find something some time later under puppetry and i wouldnt change it for the world

they phrase goes its all about who you know and im one to tell you thats a bold face lie, its about who knows YOU , how do you meet these people? college, most of my contacts ive met through school, whether it be the greg the bunny team or the robot chicken nerds