D'Snowth's Unfinished Thoughts... on LIFE...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The most insightful Muppet Newsflash I've ever heard.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------------------
*bristles, scowling*
They're ALL insightful!

--------------------------------

Nick22

Reaction score
I have to say, I just went through middle school and had few problems with "true friends." Probably because it was an extremely small school, and I've basically had the same friends my whole life. And I pride myself on being a pretty good judge of character.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Its interesting you say that because I went to a very small christian middle school and thats where I had the worst problems. Those kids were some of the meanest, nastiest people you could meet. Maybe they did not accept me because I was new is 6th grade and they had grown up with each other. I didnt do anything for them to hate me, so they basically just ignored me like I wasnt there. The only incident was that the entire class was invited to the mall (entire class means like the 6 people that showed up) and they left me in a store and left the mall, leqving me stranded and got mad at me for calling my mom who in turn called the parent who organized it. Guess they werent expecting me, a mouse who never talked, to speak up. *shrugs*

Of course, in 8th grade, I was no longer the new kid and they turned their attention to the newest new kid. They tormented her. She had this weird skin problem where the skin behind her ears was crusty flaked off and sometimes had sores. She always wore her hair up so it was clearly visible. I dont know if it was exzema (sp?) or what but they even wrote a really mean song about it and sung it every time she wasnt there. Yeah, its gross but thats no right to make fun of her. They dont know if she had some chronic, uncurable skin problem or something. They would put gum in her chair and make her sit in it, put signs on her back...just really nasty stuff like that. And this was a christian school...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think the main reason I had problems in middle school, and this isn't intended to be an ethnic or racial jab, was because my middle school was in the ghetto. Right smack dab in the middle of the ghetto. Our school actually had two uniformed and armed security guards, and this was before the days when sadly security guards in schools became the norm.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------------------------------
D'Snowth, did the students there act like they had more to prove to themselves and each other? I went to a research school run by FSU educational types (affiliated with the university) and it was awful...I'd say merely average teaching quality, but the students were merciless conformists, and I'll bet every bit as vicious to nerds or other social misfits as your inner-city kids. The school's student population was deliberately supposed to be a cross-class mix of rich, middle, and poor, and smart, average, and remedial students...so I really don't think one's social status has ANYTHING to do with the fact that middle school kids are the most social-status-obsessed little beasts on the planet!

I'll withold my opinions on the so-called "christian" schools. Fortunately I was never imprisoned in one...

---------------------------------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
----------------------------------------
D'Snowth, did the students there act like they had more to prove to themselves and each other?
No... not really. It was like going to school with a bunch of Bart Simpsons, Alvin Sevilles, Eddys, mixed with a few Miss Piggys, and some Garfields.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------------------
Er...okay...there were no furry entities at my school that I know of...guess you have me beat. :smile:

----------------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'll withold my opinions on the so-called "christian" schools. Fortunately I was never imprisoned in one...
Well I won't withhold mine, hehe. I went to a Christian school. I got a good education. I was taught about World Religions, sex education and evolution. Even when to question the Bible. Uniforms prevented us from knowing who had money and who didn't. I am grateful for these things.

Not that it was perfect. There was a lot of bullying and cliques just like every school. And it was frustrating to learn about compassion and ethics while so little was being done about the bullying. But on the other hand, it certainly prepares you for the unfairness of real life. :wink: