D'Snowth's Unfinished Thoughts... on LIFE...

beaker

Reaction score
I know how that feels. I have mentioned her before, but I had a friend who got a boyfriend and suddenly I was thrown in the dirt. On the rare occasions I was good enough to talk to me, all she talked about was her boyfriend. She had no interest in what I was saying and somehow turned every single attempt of changing the subject into talking about him.
Hate to say this, but least in America, many young girls do not have any interests or passions other than shopping and whom they happen to be dating. Just part of the mileu of social engineering, but I think a lot of people of both genders lack passion in life or a driving force to get them excited and fired up.

beaker

Reaction score
re: education: Sadly I've known sooo many people who studied hard for years in college, went in debt(to which they are still paying on) and nothing came of it. The jobs they have are not applicable to what it is they majored in or studied. I guess the saying goes, "it's the journey that counts, not the destination". I myself never gave a care about college and instead enjoyed endlessly reading at book stores, learning things on my own and experiencing life.

People are programmed to go down this set path, and when things don't pan out the way they want...it's like they feel lost or akin to a deer in a headlight.

I love my friends who for years tell me to go to college or even media design, but all that stuff I've been able to teach myself without going in debt. Perhaps it's the social side of college that people are meaning? I think if you set your mind to it, you can truly visualize and narrow in on anything you want. This year I decided I wanted to do tv quality animation webisodes, despite not knowing a thing about animation; and with hard work it's been paying off great.

beaker

Reaction score
I think the main reason I had problems in middle school, and this isn't intended to be an ethnic or racial jab, was because my middle school was in the ghetto. Right smack dab in the middle of the ghetto. Our school actually had two uniformed and armed security guards, and this was before the days when sadly security guards in schools became the norm.
Race can play a big part of it, sadly. I was tormented endlessly k-12. Went to quite a number of different jr highs and high schools. Went to all white schools and I was the only "minority"(this was the 80's and early to mid 90's, so people weren't as progressive I guess) A white or non black kid in an all black school is likely to get endlessly harassed too. We live in a society where kids form a bored, hive minded group think panopticon that targets anyone perceived to be weak or different

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sadly I've known sooo many people who studied hard for years in college, went in debt(to which they are still paying on) and nothing came of it.
Actually, that was another point I forgot to mention: one of my older brothers, who's now a practicing surgeon (with TWO practices, actually), is STILL paying off debts and student loans, and he's in his 30s.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The jobs they have are not applicable to what it is they majored in or studied.
That's always been true though; many people end up doing different things than their major, it's not necessarily a bad thing. You never know what skills will come in handy in life.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I hate to sound like a snob, but people who say college was worthless probably went into a major that does not have a lot of applicable jobs, or for that matter, open jobs. People going into IT or any other computer profession are going to have a heck of a time findng a job because there is a surplus in people who majored in it. Yes, the computer industry is expanding, but back when computers were new and exciting, everyone was encouraged to go into that field. Now, people just like technology and want to work with it.

Now, I know that no matter what your major is, there is no garantee (sp?) you will get a job. But people dont take into consideration the amount of jobs available in their area, nor do they take into consideration expansion of the industry and look at trends in the job market.

I also realize that some professions really dont require an education, and in that case its personal opinion.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I hate to sound like a snob, but people who say college was worthless probably went into a major that does not have a lot of applicable jobs, or for that matter, open jobs.
Well I can't judge everyone's personal situations, but I will say it is very important to do research into your major and see if there really is a demand.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------
It does depend a lot on your major. Heralde has good advice there. So does frogpuppeteer. Networking, learning specific skills, having that piece of paper which says you bothered, all are often necessary. BUT I wouldn't knock the self-educated path either...a good mix of both, I think, is probably the ideal way to go no matter what you intend to do with your life.

As far as going into debt, though...NEVER EVER EVER take out a student loan! Search for grants! I was lucky, my college ed was paid for back in the late '80s--early '90s. I couldn't afford to go back for my MFA today even if I wanted to, which I don't.

Art schools: there are HUNDREDS. I should know...I just did extensive research on them for another MC member who is considering coming to the US for a college education (won't name names as I don't know whether this is a private matter to them or not). But a simple look into Peterson's 2010 Guide to 4-Year Colleges revealed dozens of art-specialty schools and many many more with extensive art depts...and that's not even including the 2-year, rushed-ed places! By picking some in places you'd actually WANT to live for a few years (I would never ever recommend the southwest...) and then doing some more in-depth research on your choices, you should comne up with a workable list of a few excellent schools. Is it worth it? Maybe. I know I picked up skills and interests in college which I never would have been exposed to otherwise...and socialization had little to do with it. (I was a nerd then too.) :news:
--------------------------------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The thing of it is, I don't need to go to school to learn how to make a television show, why should I?
If you haven't been to such a school yet, then you don't know that it wouldn't be helpful. :wink:

Not every company wants to train individuals in everything; they want reassurance beforehand that the person they're hiring already has a certain set of skills and experience that they are looking for. You'd be competing with performers who already have these advantages and they will have a better chance of being chosen.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Well said Heralde, and like i said before its not just TV but even Computer and Medicine folks have to constantly keep up with new things other wise they get outdated very fast