Eleven Years Later: Disney buys Muppets and Bear

Drtooth

Reaction score
The prequels exposed Lucas as only one cog of many, as far as what made Star Wars work. It was a team effort. I have no idea about these new films. I'm not thrilled about Abrams, but I do think Disney might be quicker to get the hint than Lucas was.
The worst part is when it came out that Lucas kinda always was like that. Many hands made the Star Wars original movies an improvement over his original vision. I'm sure Disney has a group that went over a fine toothed comb as far as the script is concerned. They seem to not want to take any chances souring on the investment they made.

But considering the four major purchases they made, Lucasfilm and The Muppets were actually sold to them by the owners who wanted to let go of those properties, whereas Marvel and Pixar were buyouts. The Pixar thing was obviously because they knew that Disney couldn't make a good animated film anymore, and the realization they needed their vision. I'd say, strangely enough the last few Disney animated films were better than Pixar's output, even though I really liked MU. Just BH6 and WIR were superior.

The only thing that bugs me about Disney's Marvel ownership is the weirdness of not having Marvel publish Disney comics with the exceptions of movie tie ins and a couple Disney Park ride based comics. I'm glad they gave the classic Disney comic license to IDW, and it seems like there may just be a resurgence of Disney Afternoon comics under another company. That and the weird Spider-Man marketing where the characters are mostly based off the Ultimate cartoon. I did see a classic Goblin "Hero Mashers," but everything, even "adult" collectible coffee mugs (kids don't drink coffee, and I don't think ceramic mugs work for the little ones) have the Ultimate version. I don't mind it in context, I like what they've done with the character in that show. Just strange they favor that version over the classic one.