1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by brkndwnbus, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's bound to happen at some point, no question about that. Though I think we were just relieved it wasn't happening within a month or so after Kevin left.
  2. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

It's like Bert Irwan being the new voice of Mickey Mouse after Wayne Allwine's death.
    Elmo deserves to stay on the street! :laugh:
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  3. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Okay, here's one little red flag for me:

In Shelbum's article, he said he was asked if he would be compensated for speaking out, but when he was told he wouldn't, he decided to speak out anyway.

Let's back up for a minute... he wanted to be compensated for speaking out? And we're to believe none of this is about extortion? He even says later in the interview that when they put money on the table, he decided he wanted to take it (although, he says it's to help pay his mother's bills, put his niece in preschool... and better his own life...)

I also like the little touch of sympathy towards him as well: "He had two jobs until the scandal broke out. He lost them." Yeah, if I found out one of my employees had been sexually assaulted when he/she was younger, I would have fired him/her too. :rolleyes:

But at least even he points out that the media needs to stop dragging Elmo into the situation, because none of this is about Elmo.

EDIT: Another red flag - after reading DLLAL's article, he again says that he ended his relationship with Kevin after two weeks, like he initially said on Dr. Drew, but then a couple of paragraphs later, he said he and Kevin hooked back up on the same chat line years later. Okay, that's new...
  5. D'Snowth

I certainly am glad that so far, with every new vid that SST posts on YT with Elmo, that they haven't been bombarded with a bunch of trolls trying to have a field day over Kevin's issue right now, that's a relief... you'd think trolls would be relishing in this right now.
  6. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Oh there's still a few in each video. But yes, it's good that there are few to be found.
  7. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Well, that's certainly ugly if it's true. It makes both Kevin Clash AND Sesame Workshop look pretty bad.

Out of the three, the first accuser is is the only one who seems to be credible.
  8. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Can't we move past all of this now??? Whats done is done... Lets just walk away from this learn from it and go on. The damage is done, and there is nothing any of us can say or do to fix it.

We have had our time to be upset angry grieve, or anything else we may have needed to do. It's time to move on and look ahead to the new year to come.

If there where any positve out of all of this I would think that it would be that for the most part we Muppet fans have been able to talk about things that have been very difficult, without a lot of upset, name calling or bashing of other members of this forum. That in it's self is a good thing, and I'm proud of all of you.
  9. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

There is now an accuser number four...

Elmo actor faces sex abuse claim from fourth accuser

By Courtney Hazlett, TODAY

A fourth man is accusing Kevin Clash, the puppeteer and actor who for many years portrayed "Sesame Street" character Elmo, of sexual abuse.

In a lawsuit filed Monday in Miami, the accuser -- using the name John Doe -- claims that Clash befriended him in late 1995 or early 1996, when Doe was 16 or 17. In 1996, he says, Clash flew him from Miami to New York at Clash's expense. It was during Doe's stay in New York that the abuse allegedly happened.

In a statement, the victim's attorney Jeff Herman said, “According to our lawsuit, Kevin Clash knowingly paid to transport a minor across state lines for the purpose of satisfying his sexual interests."

Herman also represents two other men who've accused Clash of sexual abuse: second accuser Cecil Singleton and the third accuser, who is also using the name John Doe.

Clash resigned from "Sesame Street" Nov. 10, issuing a statement saying, "I have loved every day of my 28 years working for this exceptional organization. Personal matters have diverted attention away from the important work 'Sesame Street' is doing and I cannot allow it to go on any longer. I am deeply sorry to be leaving and am looking forward to resolving these personal matters privately."

Clash's representatives did not respond to an NBC News request for comment.

http://todayentertainment.today.com...aces-sex-abuse-claim-from-fourth-accuser?lite
  10. D'Snowth

There's a common thread running through all of this: the latest victims are from Miami, they ask to be refered to as "John Doe", they hire this Jeff Herman for their attorney...

But aside from that, I mean, under what normal circumstances does a 16/17-year-old fly to from one end of the country, to another, unattended?
  11. Wow...

I am really late at learning about all of this....( i do sometimes feel i live under a rock..)

About 30 mintues ago i heard a news blurb on my local radio station say something about Kevin resigning due to a sex scandal. I could not beleive my ears... so came here for the facts.

Although i am late to the game...i am no less shocked. Never expected this...

Just wow. I am stunned.
  12. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

I am so freaking tired of these accusers all starting to pop up. There are so many words I want to say but since this is a family-friendly forum, I'll refrain. But this whole thing just needs to be over.
    ncchuck likes this.
  13. ncchuck

ncchuck Active Member

I 100% AGREE
  14. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Please, someone make it stop!

I don't know if any of you noticed, but this has an effect on all Muppeteers now. I guess before my mother thought all Muppeteers were nice people and all, which I think I told them, but know with this story, I noticed that my mother would probably not approve of me talking to any Muppeteer now! Which is really bad becuase I became Facebook friends with quite a lot of names, (Haven't sent a message yet)

I want them to come out and tell everyone that Kevin's innocent and he can finally go back to work. I want it to end, but I can't see that happening anymore, since four accusers now, I might have just lost hope. It's too bad, I really liked Kevin.
  15. D'Snowth

Again, it's not just the Muppeteers, it's all puppeteers in general, because of the cruely unfair stigma that's place on them that, "All puppeteers are pedophiles", and unfortunately, with this whole scandal with Kevin, people are going to put that into perspective.
  16. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be fair for people to judge all Muppeteers, or even puppeteers, in general based on these accusations, sadly that's how these things work when people don't want to think things out. It's stereotyping; when one member of a group gets into trouble, all members do.
  17. inturnaround

inturnaround Member

Didn't Kevin come from Baltimore to NYC unattended?

With celebrity, there can be no normal circumstances.
  18. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

When I was 17 I flew from Connecticut to Washington State unattended. It happens. Florida to NYC isn't far at all, really.
  19. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Yes, that is the point I was trying to make a few weeks back... this scandal, true or not true, casts a poor light over the whole industry because that is how people think. Really, really sad that after coaches, priests, teacher and boy scouts, now this has hit our beloved puppeteers!
  20. D'Snowth

When it comes to teachers and that stigma, I swear, my state is the worst, because we have TONS of those teacher-student sex scandals all over the local news throughout the year, it's not even funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.