Elmo thread

SillyRed

Reaction score
Many people agree Sesame Street is more fun with Elmo, He also hung out with many celebs, and has his own segment, "Elmo's World", I think he's funny when he talks in 3rd person as well!!!

wockawocka

Reaction score
I like Elmo, but I think he should share SS more! He is very cute though, of course, and you can get addicted to him easily. I ALSO think it's funny when he talks in 3rd person, but, it's not exactly a good influence for children.

roadrat15

Reaction score
Originally posted by SillyRed
Many people agree Sesame Street is more fun with Elmo, He also hung out with many celebs, and has his own segment, "Elmo's World", I think he's funny when he talks in 3rd person as well!!!
In some countries,they lock you in the nuthatch for talking in the third person.I wish they'd take Elmo away!

dcfboss

Reaction score
Originally posted by wockawocka
I ALSO think it's funny when he talks in 3rd person, but, it's not exactly a good influence for children.
I would have to agree with the latter end of this opinion. I believe the way he talks in the 3rd person would totally infulence younger kids. Nobody really talks like that in real life, and while SS isn't exactly real, it's very hard for little children to make the connection between what they see and hear from Elmo and the fact that they shouldn't mimmic him. But as bad as Elmo is, there are at least 2 other characters that do this as well.

Baby Bear's little speech problem is not only very annoying but it plays to the kids who can't pronounce words correclty. If the kid sees his/her favorite (God forbid Baby Bear is their favorite, lol) character talking like that, who knows what affect it will have on them.

As much as I don't want to say it, Cookie Monster is the same way. He uses broken up sentences and never says "I" it's always "Me" But I think that Cookie Monster should be left alone with that, becuase he's been that way since forever. Elmo and Baby Bear are newer, and they can be more easily fixed without too much of a difference. By fixed I mean Elmo's 3rd person obsession and some "unfortunate accident" that might happen to Baby Bear, lol. Axe the Bear FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!

lol

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
I think Cookie says i when saying his ABC's. unless he says ABCDEFGHmeJK

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Re: Re: Elmo thread

Originally posted by roadrat15
In some countries,they lock you in the nuthatch for talking in the third person.I wish they'd take Elmo away!
i wish there was no elmo. he's cute and all but he gets on my nerves.......ughhh!!!!! can't like all the muppets out there...

ryan

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Actually, Elmo refers to himself in third person because that is a developmental stage most kids go through. The English system of personal pronouns is complex and it takes time and brain development to grasp all the rules (I, me, you, her/him, she/he, and a proper name can all refer to the same person at different times-- for someone just developing language skills that is a lot to make sense of and learn to use properly). Elmo reflects a very common stage in language accusition most (or at least many) children go through. It lets young kids (2-3 year olds) relate to Elmo and gives them confidence in their budding language skills.

I'll grant that Baby Bear's speech can be a little too precious at times, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Some kids have lisps. I don't think any of us would argue Sesame Street shouldn't show characters in wheelchairs for fear children will want to mimic the character and be in wheelchairs too. (Yes, I know that is sort of an extreme example, but Baby Bear suffers from a speech impediment that, in real life, would either correct iteself in time or require speech therapy.) I don't know what was behind the creation of Baby Bear, but Sesame has tackled so many other similar topics, it makes sense that they would have a character with a lisp.

beaker

Reaction score
Elmo no wanna share Sesame screen time!

Seriously, scale back Elmo's World if they *have to have it*...
then again I say cut out all the cartoon filler junk and have it 100% Muppets! hehe

I also think Elmo is less annoying when he is working with other characters.

Luke

Reaction score
I can't stand Elmo, i'd like to send his little red butt into space !

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
I can't stand Elmo, i'd like to send his little red butt into space !
hahaha, good one..

ryan