1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Episodes that Have Stuck with You

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by D'Snowth, Aug 31, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Not really an episode so much, but I vividly recall a bit from the ATC era, where Maria is sitting in the park, snack on jalapenos, and Kingston Livingston wants to taste one, but she doesn't think he should, figuring they would probably be waaaay to spicy for him, but insists, so she lets him taste one: his reaction is almost similar to that of a cartoon character after eating something like fire, but he seems to really like it nonetheless.
  2. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Wow. What years did these came from?
    You sure have a smart memory.
  3. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch Sesame that much as a kid. But as far as episodes that I do remember seeing as a kid:

• There was one where Zoe kept tring to act like a Honker by hitting her nose (and ultimately hurting herself).
    • An episode where Ernie and Rosita play cowboys.
    • An episode that involved counting how many monsters you could find on Sesame Street (and at one point, I belive Zoe accidentally counted Baby Bear as a monster).
    • One where, I believe Miles went to go play basketball with some friends, but didn't want Elmo to go with him.
    • One Big Bird and Baby Bear hang out (because Snuffy and Telly aren't available).
    • The Zoe-Mobile episode
    • The hurricane episodes
    • Slimey to the Moon episodes (notably the one with Elmo's spastic cousin)
    • A segment where Cookie Monster asks someone how many cookies they have, and the person explains they have "zero cookies". Cookie continuously asks, apparently not know what "zero" means.
  4. D'Snowth

• Ah yes, I believe I mentioned that one a few pages back... I recall Rosita trying to teach Ernie how to properly eat a taco, but he (and his play horse) eat it all up as she shows Ernie how to eat it.
    • Not quite: Elmo was hanging out with Miles because he was that cool older kid that little kids love to hang out with, but the problem was Miles had a game he had to go to, but Elmo couldn't go because the game was just for the big kids, so he felt left out (I remember the A&E special mentioned the point of that episode was to use Elmo to illustrate those "confusing moments" that little kids have.
    You'll have to be a little more specific, there were a few episodes where the Zoemobile was employed; unless you mean the one where it was first built and everything.
  5. Mo Frackle

Yeah, sorry it's been awhile. As for the Zoemobile episode, yeah it's the one where it's first built.
  6. D'Snowth

I remember one episode from Season 30, where Zoe used her Zoemobile to start a delivery service, and eventually tires herself out, so Telly takes over for her, but has trouble figuring out whom he's supposed to deliver a really tiny hammer to (Slimey).
  7. Mo Frackle

I remember one where Prarie Dawn puts together a "best friends" pageant (with Big Bird and Snuff, Miles and Gabi, Telly and Baby Bear, etc.). That's really all I remember, other than brief parts of the pageant itself.

Another episode that I recall is one where Big Bird wanted to take a walk around the block, but nobody else was available to go with him. Eventually, he goes with Slimey, but by the time they come back, everyone's available.

And there was also one where Miles helped Elmo and Lulu do something, I just can't recall what. But I vaguely remember juice boxes being involved at one point.
  8. D'Snowth

I believe that was on Sprout once upon a time, IIRC.
    JazzyAlphabet and Mo Frackle like this.
  9. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I just checked Muppet Wikia to find some airdates; it turns out that those "striped overalls" and "Count forgets a number" memories happen to come from the same episode (which aired in late 1975). Remember when street scenes were spread out over the course of a show, and some unrelated weirdness might happen along the way? Bob's Snuffy sighting was one of those weird moments. :D (I was wrong about which number the Count had forgotten, though; oh well, no one's perfect... :oops:)

As for Mr. Hooper's store being eaten, that happened in an earlier episode from the same season. Glad I could help, and thanks for asking!
  10. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Some sight gags are too funny not to reuse: During the cast's trip to New Mexico, Oscar the Grouch ate eight chili peppers in a row after Maria offered him some. He thought they were good, not showing any pain until eating the last pepper; then Oscar put out the "fire" by going to some water source in his trash can, which emitted steam briefly.
  11. D'Snowth

I'm reminded of another one, I'm pretty sure it was from Season 32, I know I could look at Muppet Wiki, but I don't want to fool with it at the moment.

It definitely was about the community garden: the Water Song sung by Jerry served as the setup for the story, and anytime someone (I think it was Luis) would water one of the plants, Telly and Elmo would burst into song.

TELLY: Cleeeeeaaannn...
    ELMO: WATER!
    TELLY: Cleeeeeaaarrr...
    ELMO: WATER!
    TELLY: Waaaateerrrr!
    ELMO: WATER-WATER-WATER-WATER-WATER!
    cjd874 likes this.
  12. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I remember a lot of these episodes mentioned here, because I was a kid in the 1990s. But here are some that might not have been mentioned that I remember pretty well:
    • Two episodes where certain letters on the Street go missing. In one, all the T's go missing, so that Telly becomes Elly and Tarah becomes Arah. Big Bird and the gang search for them and discover a "T" party, and they join in. In the other, Elmo find that the S's are missing, so the show is Eame Treet, and Oscar's pet worm becomes Limey. Elmo, Oscar, and Alan look for them, and if I recall, the S's were in a trunk that the Amazing Mumford had, probably as a result of one of his tricks. Soon, Mumford restores all the S's.
    • Ernie wants Rubber Duckie to be bigger, so he asks Mumford for help. Bad decision, because Mumford makes the duck about twelve feet tall. Every time Ernie squeezes it, it lets out an unnervingly deep sound. While Mumford tries to fix it, Maria consoles Ernie until the duck is back to its normal size.
    • I LOVED the one where Telly wants to get to Big Bird's playdate quicker, so Mumford "helps" him, but instead transports him to Oscar's can, the Wild West, and even Maria's bathroom where she's TAKING A SHOWER!!! Edgy stuff…maybe there were some other places I forgot…it's been almost ten years since I saw these episodes. Anyone else remember these?
  13. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the episode where Zoe & Elmo go on an adventure to find 7 squares before a mouse reaches the top of a grandfather clock, and the episode where Elmo plays games with a really weird character named Mr. Pattern (who was Mr. Square at one point)?

Any time there's some kind of music involved in an episode and you hear a short burst of it, and one of the adults, or one of the Muppets asks where the music is coming from is hilarious!
  14. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

A few memories from the early 90s:

• Rosita (who still had wings back then) is upset that she can't fly; the adults on the street comfort her, showing Rosita other things her wings were good for. The show ended with Rosita giving Maria a big wing-hug... (Where's an "awww" smiley when you need one?)
    • Joey and Davey (two monkey brothers) have trouble getting along because one of them ate the other monkey's banana. The guilty one (I forget which!) apologizes to his brother by making a handwritten greeting card and singing an I'm-sorry song. The innocent monkey remains angry, however, until the guilty one produces a bunch of bananas and lets him eat some. Ironically, the show ends with the remorseful monkey becoming an angry victim; his brother refuses to share the bunch!
  15. D'Snowth

I think that first one may actually be from the late 90s; I think I know which one you're talking about, and I seem to recall one of the things she used her wings for was to fan off Alan who had worked up a sweat over carrying a bunch of heavy boxes in and out of Hooper's Store.
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I (barely) remember one about Placido Flamingo teaching Olivia to sing Opera. I swear I remember that they used that one twice and changed the number and letter sponsors in the rest of the episode, but not at the end of the show when Olivia sang the sponsors.

Unless it's a very fuzzy recollection of that.
  17. JazzyAlphabet

JazzyAlphabet Well-Known Member

The Mr. Hooper Death Episode.
  18. D'Snowth

I just remembered one, definitely Season 30, where the very existence of the letter 'V' was like football down here in TN. I even remember Big Bird and Elmo dancing around in 'V' jerseys, and singing the letter 'V' over and over again to the tune, "On Wisconsin".
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I can't believe I forgot the shallow parody of 2001:A Space Odyssey episode. The one where the number 11 appears and plays the same music as the monolith appearing... I know the composition, I just couldn't name it for you. And then Telly and the kids are compelled to perform that song with kazoos every time it pops up.

That was a weird one.
  20. D'Snowth

Yes, I actually had looked up the name of that composition not too long ago, but I forget again already. ><